crappy poll on fox news

AequitasVeritas said:
Unless the nation is at war.
first of all i disagree. Even when the nation is at war, the president is the leader of the military, not the people. That is why Lincoln and Roosevelt still had to be re-elected in the middle of two of this nations most deadly wars.

Second, we are not at war constitutionally speaking and have not been since the 1940's.

Travis

tpahl said:
first of all i disagree. Even when the nation is at war, the president is the leader of the military, not the people. That is why Lincoln and Roosevelt still had to be re-elected in the middle of two of this nations most deadly wars.

Second, we are not at war constitutionally speaking and have not been since the 1940's.

Travis
I'm sorry I guess we are not officially at war, but as americans we declared that all terrorists and any nation who harbors them will have to face the rath of the US military might. I still think we are at "war" with terrorism and should never waver from this fight. To the rest of the world the Pres. of the United States is the "leader" of the nation.

AequitasVeritas said:
I'm sorry I guess we are not officially at war, but as americans we declared that all terrorists and any nation who harbors them will have to face the rath of the US military might. I still think we are at "war" with terrorism and should never waver from this fight. To the rest of the world the Pres. of the United States is the "leader" of the nation.

i suppose to some extent if everyone thinks of the president as their leader, he may become one to some degree. but I am speaking in terms of how the presidency is defined, not how some people might view it and certainly not how foriegners view him. He is generally considered the leader of the political party he is from and may be defined as such by the individual party but that would just make him the leader of some americans that chose to be in that party. The president is defined to be the leader of the military. but that just means he is the leader of the people that sign up to be in the military. And he is defined to be the leader of the executive branch of the federal government. He is not ever defined as the leader of the entire government, just one branch of it! So people appointed or hired to work in that branch may consider him their leader.

But even if you want to consider him the leader of the entire government (which he is not), the government is not the people. The government works for the people and is servant to the people. Therefore the leader of the government is below the people. He works for us. He is not our leader.

The people of the united states have no leader. We are INDIVIDUALS. Kennedy might have liked to think otherwise and claimed to be a leader. Kennedy generally did not agree with most of what the founding fathers thought though, so I am not surprised that his opinions differ from mine.

Travis

AequitasVeritas said:

Oh, and as Americans, we did NOT declare anything. Our government ignored the constitution granting powers to the eecutive that are not supposed to leave the legislative. I was surprised that John Stewart realized this and really let the RNC chairman have it last night on the Daily Show.
Travis

tpahl said:
I did not say the president can not be a leader

So out of the 43 Presidents that have held that elected office, which one or ones did not approach the position as a leader but as a civil servant?

tpahl said:
I did not say the president can not be a leader. I said the president need not be a leader. The constitution outlines a position of a civil servant granted power by the people. A charismatic leader type person may assume that office, but his role as president is not to lead the people, but rather to serve the people.

Travis

Interesting viewpoint. If the president is not the leader of this nation, then obviously he/she cannot be held soley responsible for the economic condition of the nation. Nor can he/she be held soley responsible for ANY civic condition
of the nation. In fact, since the legislative branch of the government has far more power in enacting laws and distributing funds, then maybe the legislators should be held responsible for the condition of this nation.

MtnBiker said:
So out of the 43 Presidents that have held that elected office, which one or ones did not approach the position as a leader but as a civil servant?

Thats easy Calvin Cooledge. He was very cool guy. He basically thought it was his job to keep government out of the peoples lives, which is probably why he was one of Reagans heros.

tpahl said:
It spells out leader of the armed forces and servant to the people in representing the country to others.

Yes, "leader of the Armed Forces", which means he is a leader even in your words. If people choose you to represent them, they are choosing you to lead them.

tpahl said:
The people that can not remember the democrats candidates name is not going to vote so i doubt you should be basing anything on their opinion.

That's where you're wrong. SOME of those people won't vote. It's most likely the people who can't remember the candidates name, the people who only read the headlines, and the people who just vote for whoever is listed first that are going to decide this election.

Oh, and people who can't figure out how to use the ballots they have been using for years.

CSM said:
Interesting viewpoint. If the president is not the leader of this nation, then obviously he/she cannot be held soley responsible for the economic condition of the nation. Nor can he/she be held soley responsible for ANY civic condition
of the nation. In fact, since the legislative branch of the government has far more power in enacting laws and distributing funds, then maybe the legislators should be held responsible for the condition of this nation.

Yes the legistlators should be held far more responsible for than they are currently.

But even though the president is not the leader of the american people, he IS responsible for signing into law legislation that is passed in congress and has a responsibility to veto bad legislation so he is responsible for all legislation that passes with his signature. In other words he is resposnbile for the duties outlined to him in the constitution, not for being a leader.

Travis

Jimmyeatworld said:
Yes, "leader of the Armed Forces", which means he is a leader even in your words. If people choose you to represent them, they are choosing you to lead them.

No, it means the people want you to REPRESENT them.

"As President, my primary concern must always be the greatest good of all the people of the United States whose servant I am." - Gerald Ford

Matthew 20:25-28

“Jesus called them together and said, "You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. 26 Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, . . .”

tpahl said:
"As President, my primary concern must always be the greatest good of all the people of the United States whose servant I am." - Gerald Ford

"The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office." - Dwight Eisenhower

Jimmyeatworld said:
"The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office." - Dwight Eisenhower

Yeah, the president is the leader of the office. He is the leader of all the people that work under him. I have not denied that. I am disputing him leading the people.

tpahl said:
Matthew 20:25-28

“Jesus called them together and said, "You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. 26 Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, . . .”

Biblical quotes. Nice. Jesus was a particularly nice guy. No doubt he would want things to be more balanced within society. Thing is, Jesus kinda felt like his dad was the leader.

Jimmyeatworld said:
Biblical quotes. Nice. Jesus was a particularly nice guy. No doubt he would want things to be more balanced within society. Thing is, Jesus kinda felt like his dad was the leader.

Glad you liked them. I am not too big on the bible but I thought you might like em.

Forum List

Back