Crappy parent of scandalous cheerleader gets a fat check

glockmail

VIP Member
Aug 31, 2006
The beautiful Yadkin Valley
I’m in the wrong field. I need to become a school administrator and join a union. How else can you be an undisciplined parent, a crappy principal, and get a commendation and a fat check for it?

The photos are at the heart of a scandal that has rocked McKinney, an affluent bedroom community north of Dallas. By many accounts, the group of cheerleaders, known as the "Fab Five," were out of control—an elite social clique that flagrantly flouted school rules but faced few sanctions….the Fab Five's alleged ringleader was the daughter of McKinney North's principal, Linda Theret. Amid charges that Theret gave the girls preferential treatment, the school district launched a $40,000 investigation conducted by Jones in the fall….Theret recently reached a settlement with the school board, agreeing to resign in exchange for a payment of around $75,000 and a letter of recommendation.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16441559/site/newsweek

Yes, it is a field that appears to do nothing except ignore the needs of its clients while being gluttons at the public trough.

Non-teachers cannot imagine how far the administration might go to prevent a 'brouhaha'. It's sick and to the detriment of the kids. You all know the parents that cause it, stand up to them, because the admin. won't.

• Banned
Non-teachers cannot imagine how far the administration might go to prevent a 'brouhaha'. It's sick and to the detriment of the kids. You all know the parents that cause it, stand up to them, because the admin. won't.
I've got one in 7th and one in 9th. So far no problems. If I ever do I've always planned on making one phone call, then if that doesn't work going straight to the School Board. In NC the admin is all paid for by local funding, which is administered by the Board alone. And we've got some good conservatives on the Board.

I've got one in 7th and one in 9th. So far no problems. If I ever do I've always planned on making one phone call, then if that doesn't work going straight to the School Board. In NC the admin is all paid for by local funding, which is administered by the Board alone. And we've got some good conservatives on the Board.

Right attitude. I'm all for going to the teacher first, principal second, board after. Truth is, the parents tend to get their way with the principal, letting the teacher hand. Of course, the parents skip the teacher, since they already have heard the same in prior years. Your kids are in class with their kids...

• Banned
Right attitude. I'm all for going to the teacher first, principal second, board after. Truth is, the parents tend to get their way with the principal, letting the teacher hand. Of course, the parents skip the teacher, since they already have heard the same in prior years. Your kids are in class with their kids...
I'm not big on wasting my time with the chain of command. If I had been aware of this type of thing in my school I'd go over that principal in a minute.

I'm not big on wasting my time with the chain of command. If I had been aware of this type of thing in my school I'd go over that principal in a minute.

Well in all fairness, sometimes the skuttlebutt, leaves more than a bit to be desired. In most cases problems can be addressed with little fanfare and better for the child.

• Banned
Well in all fairness, sometimes the skuttlebutt, leaves more than a bit to be desired. In most cases problems can be addressed with little fanfare and better for the child.
Of course. None of my kids has had any problems, in fact we are very satisfied with the entire system, so I'd be willing to give anyone a fair shake. But I've been a public employee, and been around the block enough to now when I'm being given lip service. I also know that one bad mark on an employees record means more than years of good service, and I'd hold that against them in a minute if it meant the welfare of my child.

Of course. None of my kids has had any problems, in fact we are very satisfied with the entire system, so I'd be willing to give anyone a fair shake. But I've been a public employee, and been around the block enough to now when I'm being given lip service. I also know that one bad mark on an employees record means more than years of good service, and I'd hold that against them in a minute if it meant the welfare of my child.

I believe parents are both the primary teachers and advocates for their children. It's both their duty and place. With that said, there are times for some to listen. If one teacher implies that your child is having learning or behavior issues, press for clarity and specific examples. When you are running into two or more, sit in class for at least 3 hours. See your child in those surroundings. It may open your eyes, to problems with school or your child or your discipline. If it's the later, it's most likely the teacher would gladly work with you. The other two are more difficult, but not insurmountable.

I believe parents are both the primary teachers and advocates for their children. It's both their duty and place. With that said, there are times for some to listen. If one teacher implies that your child is having learning or behavior issues, press for clarity and specific examples. When you are running into two or more, sit in class for at least 3 hours. See your child in those surroundings. It may open your eyes, to problems with school or your child or your discipline. If it's the later, it's most likely the teacher would gladly work with you. The other two are more difficult, but not insurmountable.
That is very good advice. Most parents these days are too quick to blame the teacher, and therby teach their kids to shirk responsibility. Luckily both my kids are very smart. That plus a high level of dicipline at home and I've had few problems. One (a techer) we instructed my daughter how to deal with it. after all she won't have the opportunity to pick her boss every time. The second was a bus driver that we petitioned to get rid of (along with many other parents).

As my son becomes more involved in athletics I've been reading a little bit about dealing with coaches and stuff like that. It's basically the same thing, you let the professional do his/ her job and provide back up and logistics, as well as discipline and support. My wife is also getting involved in the coaching level herself, which will give us an advantage if problems arise in that arena. That is, however, a real old boy network at my son's HS and would be a disaster if problems developed.

That is very good advice. Most parents these days are too quick to blame the teacher, and therby teach their kids to shirk responsibility. Luckily both my kids are very smart. That plus a high level of dicipline at home and I've had few problems. One (a techer) we instructed my daughter how to deal with it. after all she won't have the opportunity to pick her boss every time. The second was a bus driver that we petitioned to get rid of (along with many other parents).

As my son becomes more involved in athletics I've been reading a little bit about dealing with coaches and stuff like that. It's basically the same thing, you let the professional do his/ her job and provide back up and logistics, as well as discipline and support. My wife is also getting involved in the coaching level herself, which will give us an advantage if problems arise in that arena. That is, however, a real old boy network at my son's HS and would be a disaster if problems developed.
You are the kind of parent I like to deal with. I hope I was the same, when my kids were at the same age. We want the best for our kids and do not assume that the teachers are out to get them. Yet, we understand that we need to advocate when necessary, but not with blinders.

You don't have to suck up to me. I'll like you anyway. :cool:

LOL! You have no idea how rare it is to run into parents that will actually take responsibility for them and teach them how to be responsible for themselves.

Do you have any idea how many 'smart kids' do not do their homework, regularly? Then the parents wonder why they can't do algebra and geometry in 7th/8th grade.

Forum List

Back