Crappy-looking US uniforms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bragg.jpg

Not a thing wrong with any of our uniforms.

I am not sure, but I find it hilarious that I have actually seen DEP'ers argue over which branch has the best looking. I guess it does matter a lot, I mean, if a enemy is gawking at you trying to control his lust, he can't shoot you. :boobies:

I am not sure if that was supposed to make sense?:eusa_eh:

? I guess it doesn't? Not sure. Really sleepy lol sorry.

While I understand espirit de corps and pride, it all boils down to survivability. Make no mistake about it, before the whole Army was wearing them, berets were chick magnets. Nothing looks snazzier than a well-worn beret. However, they're very impractical. They don't keep the sun out of your eyes, they don't cool your head in the summer or warm it in the winter, and most of all: they're bullet magnets on the battlefield.

Patrol caps are much more practical both in garrison and in the buckwheat.

The Vietnam-era cammies were lightweight, cheap and comfortable. Problem is that they didn't last long, so you had to buy a whole closet full. The first set of BDUs were so heavy with all the reinforced padding that it felt like you were wearing diapers. The later sets were pretty good. I retired before the Army issued the new uniforms with the digitized patterns, but from what I've seen, they look very practical. First thing I noticed were all the pockets. Soldiers need pockets.

Still, I'm curious why the Velcro. Someone in the Pentagon must have a lifetime contract with the Velcro-makers. The last thing you need is the ripping sound of opening a Velcro pocket to give away your position.

While I understand espirit de corps and pride, it all boils down to survivability. Make no mistake about it, before the whole Army was wearing them, berets were chick magnets. Nothing looks snazzier than a well-worn beret. However, they're very impractical. They don't keep the sun out of your eyes, they don't cool your head in the summer or warm it in the winter, and most of all: they're bullet magnets on the battlefield.

The Vietnam-era cammies were lightweight, cheap and comfortable. Problem is that they didn't last long, so you had to buy a whole closet full. The first set of BDUs were so heavy with all the reinforced padding that it felt like you were wearing diapers. The later sets were pretty good. I retired before the Army issued the new uniforms with the digitized patterns, but from what I've seen, they look very practical. First thing I noticed were all the pockets. Soldiers need pockets.

Still, I'm curious why the Velcro. Someone in the Pentagon must have a lifetime contract with the Velcro-makers. The last thing you need is the ripping sound of opening a Velcro pocket to give away your position.

I think it is funny because the Velcro makes things different. I seen a soldier with velcro rank insignia, I do not know if this is wide-spread, but my Great-Uncle complains a lot about it "I remember when I sowed my own rank on, myself" but he was also in during WW2 lol.

I think the Army made a mistake giving everybody berets.

What?

Are we fielding the FRENCH army or something?

a bunnch of comaflogue crapappola
WW2 unis were to the point

A uniform serves a purpose. If you are complaining about the ne multi cam. It works.
However if this is the new uniform you're talking about?
1:22
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hDfx5lc-QY[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POl6n2VArBw[/ame]

agreed. they were garrison-duty headgear. Outside that they were useless.

field wise ( see below) , this was our choice, last one I had when I ETS'ed..

I don't get that either, I wasn't in when velcro came aboard, it sounds fine in discussions in a conference room, but shit gets caught up in the threads and yes, the sound. It may be quicker than unbuttoning and less problematic than a zipper , but.....

Attachments

• $pat cap.jpg
    $pat cap.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
The Vietnam era baseball cap was the best in my opinion.

Kept the sun out of your eyes and could be stuffed in your pocket when needed.

Nothing fancy; just functional. :cool:

Camouflage bothers you? Perhaps you never saw a Military dress uniform. I think Clinton created the Black Beret so that every member of the US Army could feel like a Special Forces Green Beret and they were made in China at first (still?) but they don't look that bad. Semper Fi to the Marines who didn't change.

The black beret was made the head gear for all soldiers, which had previously only been warn by the 75th Ranger Regiment. Other units have berets too, Airborne units wear a maroon beret, etc.

That happened in November 2001 due to Shinseki and Bush was President. Next to a patrol cap, berets suck and are useless for anything other than a dress uniform.

As for the OP (to anyone concerned); he's trolling. He likes to come on here and try and piss of people by attacking veterens (of all people) for whatever reason. I don't know, maybe he gets off on it.

Check out his previous thread on Viet Nam, etc.

Actually the conversion to the Berets were ordered by COS Shineski October of 2000. The timing seems strange. It's a month before the presidential election. President Bush apparently didn't like it and ordered the DOD to review the situation. Eventually the republican administration caved in but Shineski was sacked within a year.

The US Army uniforms of WW2 were the best ever.

Effifient and to the point.

Didnt have the salad-dressing of the whermacht.

Informs creep me out.

No wait, that's not right.

People who like to be in uniform creep me out.

Camouflage bothers you? Perhaps you never saw a Military dress uniform. I think Clinton created the Black Beret so that every member of the US Army could feel like a Special Forces Green Beret and they were made in China at first (still?) but they don't look that bad. Semper Fi to the Marines who didn't change.

The black beret was made the head gear for all soldiers, which had previously only been warn by the 75th Ranger Regiment. Other units have berets too, Airborne units wear a maroon beret, etc.

That happened in November 2001 due to Shinseki and Bush was President. Next to a patrol cap, berets suck and are useless for anything other than a dress uniform.

As for the OP (to anyone concerned); he's trolling. He likes to come on here and try and piss of people by attacking veterens (of all people) for whatever reason. I don't know, maybe he gets off on it.

Check out his previous thread on Viet Nam, etc.

Actually the conversion to the Berets were ordered by COS Shineski October of 2000. The timing seems strange. It's a month before the presidential election. President Bush apparently didn't like it and ordered the DOD to review the situation. Eventually the republican administration caved in but Shineski was sacked within a year.

Bush ordered a "review"? He was the CINC. If he didn't like it that much, he could have told Shinseki to change it, or changed it when Schoomaker took over.

Shinseki wasn't sacked over the berets. He was sacked for not telling Rumsfeld what he wanted to hear in regards to troop numbers needed in Iraq and also the Crusader.

Too bad too.

Shinseki was absolutely correct.

Beret's are small potatoes. An accurate force disposition is what you'd expect to get from the Chief of Staff of the Army.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back