Crappiest Songs of All Time

Great moment in music history: Lynyrd Skynard in "Sweet Home Alabama" slamming Neil Young for "Southern Man." Go to a show and the crowd goes NUTS about that.

Neil Young songs usually annoy me (Cinnamon Girl) but I will make an exception for "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World."

Great moment in music history: Lynyrd Skynard in "Sweet Home Alabama" slamming Neil Young for "Southern Man." Go to a show and the crowd goes NUTS about that.

Neil Young songs usually annoy me (Cinnamon Girl) but I will make an exception for "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World."

Those are fighting words boy, Neil Young is THE MAN!

Southern man better keep your head
Dont forget what your good book said
Southern change gonna come at last
Now your crosses are burning fast
Southern man

I saw cotton and I saw black
Tall white mansions and little shacks.
Southern man when will you pay them back?
I heard screamin and bullwhips cracking
How long? how long?

Southern man

Lily belle, your hair is golden brown
Ive seen your black man comin round
Swear by God Im gonna cut him down!
How long? how long?

*Remember, this song was written in the 60's, released on "After the Gold Rush" in 1970,,,,, I'm SURE the South isn't like that anymore, right?

Those are fighting words boy, Neil Young is THE MAN!

Southern man

I saw cotton and I saw black
Tall white mansions and little shacks.
Southern man when will you pay them back?
How long? how long?

Southern man

Lily belle, your hair is golden brown
Ive seen your black man comin round
Swear by God Im gonna cut him down!
How long? how long?

*Remember, this song was written in the 60's, released on "After the Gold Rush" in 1970,,,,, I'm SURE the South isn't like that anymore, right?

Neil Young is an ignorant idealist moron that paints one-sided, revisionist pictures with his songs, and he can't sing worth crap.

I'd rather listen to Rush, and you can scroll up to see what I think of THEM.

Neil Young is an ignorant idealist moron that paints one-sided, revisionist pictures with his songs, and he can't sing worth crap.

Limbaugh, or the band Rush? :tongue:

Yeah, I'm not surprised you don't like Mr. Young, it's not too shocking of a opinion on your part.

I like just about everything by Rush
but some bad songs include
anything by Michael Bolten
ot Peter Cetera(chicago)
most everything in that "soft rock" or "rap" Genre'
Ozzy Osbourne doing the Bee Gees "stayin alive" was pretty Wretched too

\

Ah, it's just a gut feeling by your postings. I know you as well as you know me.

Don't think you'll be seeing this movie, eh?

CSNY Deja Vu Review - Read Variety's Analysis Of The Movie CSNY Deja Vu

Really? My gut feeling tells me you don't know jack shit and are jumping to conclusions with little to no information. So to answer the specifics I DO know ...

Yes, I know plenty of ignorant yankees and liberals who actually believe the stereotypes about Southerners such as Neil Young's idiotic song portrays us as.

And yes, I know plenty of people who are quick to erroneously assume exactly where I stand in the political spectrum on all subjects simply because I stand to the right or left of them on one.

Other than that, you're just another newbie on this board and aside from those two aforementioned observations, I know nothing of you.

dude, niel young is the fucking MAN. Check out Greendale.

And, that whole lynerd skynerd thing didn't rock Young's boat at all. Listen to the lyrics. Considering that the 60s still was a time of open lynching of blacks id say the song is spot on. This was a rock n roll feud that Wasn't.

Besides, if im not mistaken, both music acts were actually quite find of each others music.

Last edited:

there are a lot of people who can't sing worth a crap that still have moving music. You can call him an ignorant idealist all you want but the FACT remains that his description of the south during the 60s was accurate as hell.

Really? My gut feeling tells me you don't know jack shit and are jumping to conclusions with little to no information. So to answer the specifics I DO know ...

Yes, I know plenty of ignorant yankees and liberals who actually believe the stereotypes about Southerners such as Neil Young's idiotic song portrays us as.

And yes, I know plenty of people who are quick to erroneously assume exactly where I stand in the political spectrum on all subjects simply because I stand to the right or left of them on one.

Other than that, you're just another newbie on this board and aside from those two aforementioned observations, I know nothing of you.

I hope Neil Young will remember-A southern man don't need him around anyhow.

Speaking of Skynerd, Simple Man is my absolute favorite.

'twas my very first concert ever. '91 at Riverport.

there are a lot of people who can't sing worth a crap that still have moving music. You can call him an ignorant idealist all you want but the FACT remains that his description of the south during the 60s was accurate as hell.

I lived in the South during the 60s and I disagree that his lyrics are or were accurate. Not even close. I do love it though that people who never lived in the South are always the ones who think they have know what the Hell was going on ... like Neil Young ... and a lot of yankees.

He took the stereotype of the bad actors and protrayed them as norm. Lest we forget, the largest KKK chapter in US history was in Indiana, not the South, and the NATION, not just a region, portrayed and accepted them as heroes and do-gooders. Racism was accepted in this NATION. Yet, just as with the Civil War -- the US gets villified the most for slavery when most countries had slaves, we were just one of the last -- the last holdouts were in the Deep South so every Southern person gets branded by their actions.

And I call that bullshit.

And I do agree the ability to sing is not required to be a successful musician, but Neil Young's voice just happens to be one that grates on my nerves. Like Neil Purt's (sp.)

I lived in the South during the 60s and I disagree that his lyrics are or were accurate. Not even close. I do love it though that people who never lived in the South are always the ones who think they have know what the Hell was going on ... like Neil Young ... and a lot of yankees.

He took the stereotype of the bad actors and protrayed them as norm. Lest we forget, the largest KKK chapter in US history was in Indiana, not the South, and the NATION, not just a region, portrayed and accepted them as heroes and do-gooders. Racism was accepted in this NATION. Yet, just as with the Civil War -- the US gets villified the most for slavery when most countries had slaves, we were just one of the last -- the last holdouts were in the Deep South so every Southern person gets branded by their actions.

And I call that bullshit.

And I do agree the ability to sing is not required to be a successful musician, but Neil Young's voice just happens to be one that grates on my nerves. Like Neil Purt's (sp.)

umm
that would be Peart
and actually he's the drummer
you might be speaking of Geddy Lee
your looking for the singer for Rush right?

dude. I can name names here. Willie Edwards Jr comes to mind. it's a prety far stretch to blame yanks for the racist reputation of the south.

Missouri is hardly Yankee land, btw. Not that I was around during the 60s..

and yea, i agree about his voice sometimes. But, hey, the man could write great songs. It's an acquired taste.. like Ole Willie Nelson and Tom Waits.

Forum List

Back