CPAC vs. Reality

Mr. Shaman

May 4, 2010
How amusing, to see these two articles....so close, together!!​

"The largest conservative gathering of the year began in Washington on Thursday with a parade of possible Republican presidential candidates determined to show that they have what it takes to defeat President Obama in 2012.

More than 11,000 activists and politicians convened for the 38th annual Conservative Political Action Conference to take stock of the contenders and of the conservative movement after Republicans' major gains in the 2010 midterm elections. The three-day meeting is part celebration of those victories and part an effort to remind the party's new leaders to live up to the promises of last year's campaign.

The opening-day roster of potential presidential hopefuls included former House speaker Newt Gingrich (Ga.), former senator Rick Santorum (Pa.) and Rep. Michele Bachmann (Minn.).

There was, as always, a carnival atmosphere, with attendees scurrying about the hotel and exhibitor$ peddling books, posters and political philosophies. Despite a boycott by some conservative groups protesting the participation of GOProud, an organization that supports gay rights, there was little evidence of a real battle for attention between social and fiscal conservatives.

Tea party heroes played prominent roles on opening day. The movement was credited with energizing voters in the fall to kick out politicians by the dozen who voted for the nation's health-care overhaul, economic stimulus bill and corporate bailouts. But with considerable focus on the fiscal issues that dominated the midterm elections, the speakers nonetheless bowed as well to social and religious conservatives in their remarks."

"An already wobbly week for House Republicans turned chaotic Thursday as their unruly new majority flatly rejected a spending plan crafted by House leaders, saying its cuts fell far short of fulfilling a campaign pledge to slice $100 billion from federal programs.

House leaders offered to redo the package but were struggling to identify the massive and unprecedented cuts that will be required to meet their goal. Dissatisfied conservatives, meanwhile, were pressing for even sharper reductions that could prove difficult to push through the House, much less the Democratic-controlled Senate.

The uprising exposed serious divisions among Republicans bent on reducing the size of government, the defining issue of the campaign that swept them back into power in the House this fall. Dozens of freshmen, fueled by tea party fervor, are demanding a rapid response to the groundswell of public anger.

Their single-minded focus threatens to spoil efforts by House Speaker John A. Boehner (R-Ohio) to avoid a confrontation with the White House that could trigger a government shutdown in coming months. Until this week, House leaders had anticipated relatively little trouble putting together an initial spending plan, which they had hoped would serve as an austere but responsible counterpoint to the budget request President Obama is due to submit Monday.

Across Washington, conservative groups fanned the flames of the rebellion Thursday. At the annual Conservative Political Action Conference, Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.), the leader of the House Tea Party Caucus, criticized GOP leaders for their first offer to cut spending and demanded more.

"As important as these spending cuts are, we need a lot more than we're getting served up today," Bachmann said to cheers at the Marriott Wardman hotel.

Establishment conservatives also weighed in. The anti-tax Club for Growth and Heritage Action for America, a group associated with the Heritage Foundation, announced that they will make the spending plan a "key vote" in their congressional rankings, downgrading lawmakers who support anything short of the strictest interpretation of the $100 billion pledge.

"It's important that the new majority demonstrate that they can fulfill their promises," said Mike Connolly, a spokesman for the Club for Growth, which was instrumental in electing more than a dozen of the 87 GOP freshmen.

"The pledge House Republicans made to the American people was to cut $100 billion from the president's budget request. Economists and accountants can come up with different ways to do anything, but it was pretty clear what was meant," Connolly said. "All we're asking is that they fulfill the pledge."

The spending dispute was the most consequential in a series of missteps by House leaders this week, including two failed votes on bills to extend the USA Patriot Act and rescind funding from the United Nations. House Republicans were also forced to delay a vote on a measure that would reauthorize a program that provides assistance to people who lose their jobs to foreign imports."

Last edited:
Since I have always enjoyed irony, I love how after he has proven that he can't handle budget crises, Newt Gingrich now enters the bid for president. I highly doubt he has learned from his mistakes in 15 years.

"The largest conservative gathering of the year began in Washington on Thursday with a parade of possible Republican presidential candidates determined to show that they have what it takes to defeat President Obama in 2012.

More than 11,000 activists and politicians convened for the 38th annual Conservative Political Action Conference to take stock of the contenders and of the conservative movement after Republicans' major gains in the 2010 midterm elections. The three-day meeting is part celebration of those victories and part an effort to remind the party's new leaders to live up to the promises of last year's campaign.

The opening-day roster of potential presidential hopefuls included former House speaker Newt Gingrich (Ga.), former senator Rick Santorum (Pa.) and Rep. Michele Bachmann (Minn.).

There was, as always, a carnival atmosphere, with attendees scurrying about the hotel and exhibitor$ peddling books, posters and political philosophies. Despite a boycott by some conservative groups protesting the participation of GOProud, an organization that supports gay rights, there was little evidence of a real battle for attention between social and fiscal conservatives.

Tea party heroes played prominent roles on opening day. The movement was credited with energizing voters in the fall to kick out politicians by the dozen who voted for the nation's health-care overhaul, economic stimulus bill and corporate bailouts. But with considerable focus on the fiscal issues that dominated the midterm elections, the speakers nonetheless bowed as well to social and religious conservatives in their remarks."

"An already wobbly week for House Republicans turned chaotic Thursday as their unruly new majority flatly rejected a spending plan crafted by House leaders, saying its cuts fell far short of fulfilling a campaign pledge to slice $100 billion from federal programs.

House leaders offered to redo the package but were struggling to identify the massive and unprecedented cuts that will be required to meet their goal. Dissatisfied conservatives, meanwhile, were pressing for even sharper reductions that could prove difficult to push through the House, much less the Democratic-controlled Senate.

The uprising exposed serious divisions among Republicans bent on reducing the size of government, the defining issue of the campaign that swept them back into power in the House this fall. Dozens of freshmen, fueled by tea party fervor, are demanding a rapid response to the groundswell of public anger.

Their single-minded focus threatens to spoil efforts by House Speaker John A. Boehner (R-Ohio) to avoid a confrontation with the White House that could trigger a government shutdown in coming months. Until this week, House leaders had anticipated relatively little trouble putting together an initial spending plan, which they had hoped would serve as an austere but responsible counterpoint to the budget request President Obama is due to submit Monday.

Across Washington, conservative groups fanned the flames of the rebellion Thursday. At the annual Conservative Political Action Conference, Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.), the leader of the House Tea Party Caucus, criticized GOP leaders for their first offer to cut spending and demanded more.

"As important as these spending cuts are, we need a lot more than we're getting served up today," Bachmann said to cheers at the Marriott Wardman hotel.

Establishment conservatives also weighed in. The anti-tax Club for Growth and Heritage Action for America, a group associated with the Heritage Foundation, announced that they will make the spending plan a "key vote" in their congressional rankings, downgrading lawmakers who support anything short of the strictest interpretation of the $100 billion pledge.

"It's important that the new majority demonstrate that they can fulfill their promises," said Mike Connolly, a spokesman for the Club for Growth, which was instrumental in electing more than a dozen of the 87 GOP freshmen.

"The pledge House Republicans made to the American people was to cut $100 billion from the president's budget request. Economists and accountants can come up with different ways to do anything, but it was pretty clear what was meant," Connolly said. "All we're asking is that they fulfill the pledge."

The spending dispute was the most consequential in a series of missteps by House leaders this week, including two failed votes on bills to extend the USA Patriot Act and rescind funding from the United Nations. House Republicans were also forced to delay a vote on a measure that would reauthorize a program that provides assistance to people who lose their jobs to foreign imports."

God...I can't even be bothered trying to read that over-formatted bullshit.
It's like looking at a gang of rodeo clowns on a trampoline.

LOL, someone who likes to post crap in a cartoon fashion wants to tell people about REALITY.:lol:

Since I have always enjoyed irony, I love how after he has proven that he can't handle budget crises, Newt Gingrich now enters the bid for president. I highly doubt he has learned from his mistakes in 15 years.
Hell, why should he??

His skills at hypocrisy and (garden-variety) hu$tling have served him well!!!

(Hell....he won't even break-a-sweat with the Teabaggers.)​

gingrich.gif

"Several newspapers are now reporting that Newt Gingrich is dating and basically living with Callista Bisek, a "willowy blond Congressional aide 23 years his junior." Biske, 33, has been spending nights at Gingrich's apartment near the Capitol and has her own key. In an amazing act of hypocrisy, Gingrich was apparently dating Bisek all during Clinton-Lewinsky adultery scandal, even as he proclaimed family values and bitterly criticized the President for his adultery.

One woman, Anne Manning, has come forward and confirmed a relationship with him during the 1976 campaign. "We had oral sex. He prefers that modus operandi because then he can say, 'I never slept with her.'"

I'm thinkin'....I should probably defer to your (obvious) experience on such matters......

beckfoxpsycho.gif

I'm thinkin'....I should probably defer to your (obvious) experience on such matters......

beckfoxpsycho.gif

I have absolutely no idea what your politics are, nor what the point is that you're trying to make in your post.
I may absolutely agree with you but I simply can't be fucked trying to wade through the carnival of your original post to find out.

I know..it's my problem and I have to deal with it...don't judge me.

The sad part is, Shaman actually brings some good info to the board. However, due to the highlighting, color changes, font changes, etc, I have gotten to the point that I simply don't bother reading his posts anymore.

The sad part is, Shaman actually brings some good info to the board. However, due to the highlighting, color changes, font changes, etc, I have gotten to the point that I simply don't bother reading his posts anymore.

I remember thinking he had a couple of good points when I bothered to read his posts. I don't bother anymore because I hate going through the bother now though.

That only tells me he doesnt really care about what he's saying. And if he doesn't care, why should I?

beckfoxpsycho.gif

I have absolutely no idea what your politics are.....
....And, that's pretty-important, to you, huh....what my politics are....huh??? Party-preference is more-important (to you) than someone's alternative/varied ideas, huh?

:eusa_eh:

....nor what the point is that you're trying to make in your post.
I may absolutely agree with you but I simply can't be fucked trying to wade through the carnival of your original post to find out.
You don't see the conflict, between 'Bagger-politics & the ESTABLISHED-Republican agenda????

Maybe there's some local-resource to help you.....like adult reading/literacy-classes? Check-out your local-Library.​

Here ya' go.......​

"Adult literacy is a global problem. One in five adults cannot read. Here are 5 ways you can help improve (your) adult literacy."

HERE

Keep Hope Alive!!!!

:rock:

Yes' that is what the baggers are all about. Against the establishment of both parties. Baggers are angry at both parties.

John Boner has

resurfaced!!!!!

He's (obviously) vacated his Anti-'Bagger bunker for some badly-needed R&R (i.e. publicity).

HERE

Maybe it's the same place "Sweet" Eric Cantor & Mitch "The Turtle" McConnell are hiding-out.

Hell.....anyone o' the three (o' them) should have some idea where The DICK; Armey is ALSO hiding-out!!!!

Last edited:
I also gave up long ago reading Mr. Shaman.

It's like he's in elementary school, thinking "How cool I am with all this color and centering and reformatting, wow, they're gonna be so impressed!"

I also gave up long ago reading Mr. Shaman.

It's like he's in elementary school, thinking "How cool I am with all this color and centering and reformatting, wow, they're gonna be so impressed!"
Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhh......backing 'Baggers into-a-corner with (attached) facts....and, watching them run-off is entertainment-enough, for me....as is evidenced by you clowns' inability to dispute what I'd originally-posted.

Move along.....
106.gif

Great job, there....BONER!!!!

MR. GREGORY: Well, let me just stop you there because there are a few things you said and I'd like to follow up on each of them. First of all, I think it's important for everybody to, to recognize that when you talk about spending cuts, you're talking about this fiscal year, which ends in September, which is what's called a continuing resolution to fund the government. The budget is in a separate battle, which will go, moving forward, just so we--we're clear on the terms. But you met with the president this week. You talked about some areas of common ground. He's talking about making cuts in discretionary spending, freezing it at levels that would, he says, take $400 billion off the deficit in 10 years. Is there a collision course here, as he talks about additional investment in the economy as well? Or are you actually seeing some room for compromise on spending?

emoticon_turd.gif
BOEHNER: It's time to cut spending. You know, the president wants to freeze domestic discretionary spending at existing levels. This is after, this is after all of the money that's been spent over the last two years. Locking in that level of spending is way too much. But I do think the voters last November made it clear that they want Washington to cut spending. And cutting spending will, in fact, help create a better environment for job creation in America.

This morning, I sent a letter to President Obama signed by 150 economists that say that cutting spending now will help create a better environment so that we can begin to create jobs in our country. This is a critically important step if we're going to end the uncertainty and start to give investors and small business people the confidence to invest in our economy. I used to be a small businessman. I understand this. When you have all this uncertainty, you don't invest. If people begin to see us rein in out-of-control spending, it'll bring more confidence to business people and investment--investors around the country, and then we'll begin to see better job creation in our country.

MR. GREGORY: You talk about the debt limit that has to be raised, according to the administration, and that vote will take place. And you say, "We're not going to vote for that unless there are specific spending cuts that we get in response." If there is not a compromise on this, would you rule out a government shutdown as an appropriate response?

emoticon_turd.gif
BOEHNER: David, our goal here is to reduce spending. Our goal is not to shut down the government. And I'm hopeful that...

MR. GREGORY: But would you rule it out?

emoticon_turd.gif
BOEHNER: I would hope that the Senate and the White House heard the same thing I've heard from the American people in last November's election, "It's time to cut spending."

MR. GREGORY: Well, my--a very precise question. Would you rule out a government shutdown if you can't see eye to eye?

emoticon_turd.gif
BOEHNER: Our goal is to reduce spending. It is not to shut down the government.

MR. GREGORY: On entitlements, like Social Security, you said the retirement age should be raised, but you said you don't want to get into negotiating how that happens just now until the problem is better defined. Again, when it comes to leadership, when it comes to the need to, you know, have no limit on cutting, don't you think Americans understand what the problem with Social Security is? What will it take for you to join with the White House to make real reform to deal with this piece of the budget?

emoticon_turd.gif
BOEHNER: David, you may understand how big the problem is, I may understand how big it is, but most Americans have not been presented with just how big is the problem. And it's Social Security, it's Medicare, it's Medicaid. And I think it's incumbent on those leaders here in Washington, those of us to go out and help the American people understand how big the problem is. Once, once the American people begin to get their arms around the size of the problem, then and only then should we begin to lay out an array of possible solutions to have that conversation."

beckfoxpsycho.gif

I have absolutely no idea what your politics are.....
....And, that's pretty-important, to you, huh....what my politics are....huh??? Party-preference is more-important (to you) than someone's alternative/varied ideas, huh?

....nor what the point is that you're trying to make in your post.
You don't see the conflict, between 'Bagger-politics & the ESTABLISHED-Republican agenda????

Maybe there's some local-resource to help you.....like adult reading/literacy-classes? Check-out your local-Library.​

Your politics don't make any difference to me but your post was political.

I've got absolutely no idea what 'Bagger politics' are.

God...I can't even be bothered trying to read that over-formatted bullshit.

I don't even read his shit anymore, it's an exercise in stupidity.

Forum List

Back