Cover songs that in your opinion are better than the original

This is an old English Ballad originally called the "twa sisters"

the modern rendition was popularized by the late great Jerry Garcia who played it frequently with the JGB and some of his side projects-most notably with David Grisman

Here is a wonderful cover of it by young Billy Strings, who is rapidly gaining fame as a top flight country/Fol artist

There's a site called "Cover Top List" where people do covers of other musicians. Some of them are so very good. Many, not so good. And they have ratings. So I came across a cover of "Ooh Baby Baby". The lead singer is obviously not as good as Smokey, but the harmonies are so spot on and polished. After listening to this version and Smokey's, the harmonies on Smokey's seems kind of rough to me. Anyway, I don't know I like it better, but I really like it.

Ooh Baby Baby - Smokey Robinson (cover by Richard Donato) | Cover Toplist

I heard this on the radio today, I forgot this one. Lauryn Hill did a great job with this.. I really like her version:cool:

This is one that always stirs up controversy amongst aficionados from two music genres:
The original: Sex Pistols Anarchy in the UK; raw, brutal and in your face...

The cover: Megadeth Anarchy in the UK; polished, brutal and in your face...

Dancing In Berlin

Original by Fahrenheit

Cover by Berlin

Note: Fahrenheit and Berlin are both projects of John Crawford. Berlin would become the more successful of the two bands.

I like the cover groups video, but Imagine Dragons sang the song better.

***I never knew "I Love Rock & Roll" was a cover. The original singer looks like Joan Jett. lol

Last edited:

I like the cover groups video, but Imagine Dragons sang the song better.

***I never knew "I Love Rock & Roll" was a cover. The original singer looks like Joan Jett. lol

I LOVE Pentatonix. Musicality is a huge deal to me, and the vocal abilities necessary for a cappella singing mean that they produce some intricate harmonies that just give me chills.

One of the signs of a really great cover is when people don't even remember that it IS a cover. ;)

Forum List

Back