Court upholds 'under God' in Pledge of Allegiance

It's your right to say it without using under God, but it is my right to say under God. Get it now??

I agree with that and said that I and most people I know skip the "under God" part already....and if you continue to read the first couple of pages, I was called UnAmerican for doing so.......by another so-called grown up. Can you imagine the pressure kids are under at school to conform?

You bet I put incredible pressure on my kids to conform to the tradition, to exercise respect and good manners, and to understand the underlying concepts of the Pledge itself as well as the other basics of history. I have never put pressure on them as to what they had to think or believe about anything.

Personally, I think those who deny their children an opportunity to learn about spiritual things, matters of faith, and what part those played in creating the greatest nation the world has ever known, do them a great disservice.

But that's just me.

True, I think non religious meditation should be taught in school.

I learned the pledge before there was any "under God" in it. Adding "under God" turned it into an awkward phrasing. And made me think.

Are we pledging to the ideal of a nation indivisable - a nation almost torn apart by a bloody civil war? Or are we pledging to an one group's ideal of a nation under a diety and faith often identified in history with religious intolerance and bigotry?

I do not pledge my allegience to any diety simply because a vocal minority want to ram it down my throat by insisting we are a (insert religion of choice) nation.

A witch! A witch! A witch! We've got a witch! A witch!
Burn her! Burn!

☭proletarian☭;2090458 said:
5ZxXQ.jpg

Is that the Psalm that anti-Obama people are putting on bumper stickers?

I agree with that and said that I and most people I know skip the "under God" part already....and if you continue to read the first couple of pages, I was called UnAmerican for doing so.......by another so-called grown up. Can you imagine the pressure kids are under at school to conform?

You bet I put incredible pressure on my kids to conform to the tradition, to exercise respect and good manners, and to understand the underlying concepts of the Pledge itself as well as the other basics of history. I have never put pressure on them as to what they had to think or believe about anything.

Personally, I think those who deny their children an opportunity to learn about spiritual things, matters of faith, and what part those played in creating the greatest nation the world has ever known, do them a great disservice.

But that's just me.

To 'teach' what meditation is in school would be okay in say a philosophy or comparative religions class, but I would object to any school-organized meditation, religious or otherwise, being a matter of practice in the school. A group of students who wanted to get together for that in off hours, fine.

Teaching school kids about the different religions within our society (comparative religions) and the religious influences that have been and are incorporated within our laws, culture, history, and heritage should be a given and part of any well rounded education. It should include both the good and the bad without judgment or embellishment or any hint of indoctrination.

Likewise school kids should be learning about the different forms of government and the ideologies that are incorporated into them. Again this should include the good and the bad without judgment or embellishment or any hint of indoctrination.

The state board selecting textbooks in Texas this week have been having world war III over just such issues. It is beginning to look though that those wanting ALL our history included in the textbooks are winning the day. Those wanting all religious or conservative history removed from the textbooks have been overruled. So far. And as goes Texas in the world of textbooks, so usually goes the nation.

There is room to be encouraged.

It's your right to say it without using under God, but it is my right to say under God. Get it now??

Kids are under more pressure from their piers than grown ups, they'd rather fit in with their piers.

Oh Dock it!

Just in case some else hasn't posted this yet:

Pledge of Allegiance By Red Skelton

Listen........as the late Red Skelton tells the story of his teacher, Mr. Laswell, who explained the meaning of the Pledge of Allegiance, word by word.

Now, more than ever, listen to the meaning of these words.

"I've been listening to you boys and girls recite the Pledge of Allegiance all semester and it seems as though it is becoming monotonous to you. If I may, may I recite it and try to explain to you the meaning of each word?"

~I~
me, an individual, a committee of one.

~Pledge~
dedicate all of my worldly goods to give without self pity.

~ Allegiance~
my love and my devotion.

~To the flag~
our standard, Old Glory, a symbol of freedom. Wherever she waves, there's respect because your loyalty has given her a dignity that shouts freedom is everybody's job!

~United ~
that means that we have all come together.

~States~
individual communities that have united into 48 great states. Forty-eight individual communities with pride and dignity and purpose; all divided with imaginary boundaries, yet united to a common purpose, and that's love for country.

~And to the republic~
a state in which sovereign power is invested in representatives chosen by the people to govern. And government is the people and it's from the people to the leaders, not from the leaders to the people.

~For which it stands, one nation~
one nation, meaning "so blessed by God"

~Indivisible~
incapable of being divided.

~With liberty~
which is freedom; the right of power to live one's own life without threats, fear or some sort of retaliation.

~And Justice~
the principle or quality of dealing fairly with others.

~For all~
which means, boys and girls, it's as much your country as it is mine.

Since I was a small boy, two states have been added to our country and two words have been added to the
Pledge of Allegiance...

UNDER GOD

Wouldn't it be a pity if someone said that is a prayer and that would be eliminated from schools too?

God Bless America!

This should piss the so-called athiest off.

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- A federal appeals court in San Francisco upheld the use of the words "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance and "In God We Trust" on U.S. currency, rejecting arguments on Thursday that the phrases violate the separation of church and state.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals panel rejected two legal challenges by Sacramento atheist Michael Newdow, who claimed the references to God disrespect his religious beliefs.

"The Pledge is constitutional," Judge Carlos Bea wrote for the majority in the 2-1 ruling. "The Pledge of Allegiance serves to unite our vast nation through the proud recitation of some of the ideals upon which our Republic was founded."

The Facts

Thank you for posting this GREAT news! I am ALL for it. All the way. Very proud that they had the stones, especially in San Francisco, a former residence of mine. I would like to add that I am a happy agnostic, who believes in all of our founding principals.

But that's just me.

To 'teach' what meditation is in school would be okay in say a philosophy or comparative religions class, but I would object to any school-organized meditation, religious or otherwise, being a matter of practice in the school. A group of students who wanted to get together for that in off hours, fine.

Teaching school kids about the different religions within our society (comparative religions) and the religious influences that have been and are incorporated within our laws, culture, history, and heritage should be a given and part of any well rounded education. It should include both the good and the bad without judgment or embellishment or any hint of indoctrination.

Likewise school kids should be learning about the different forms of government and the ideologies that are incorporated into them. Again this should include the good and the bad without judgment or embellishment or any hint of indoctrination.

The state board selecting textbooks in Texas this week have been having world war III over just such issues. It is beginning to look though that those wanting ALL our history included in the textbooks are winning the day. Those wanting all religious or conservative history removed from the textbooks have been overruled. So far. And as goes Texas in the world of textbooks, so usually goes the nation.

The knowledge of how to focus and concentrate will be =much more valuable in life than learning about moses.

Increase the learning skills.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Jf3MQpffBc]YouTube - John Wayne and the Pledge of Allegiance[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sekHkR5BKOY]YouTube - John Wayne "America Why I Love Her"[/ame]

The knowledge of how to focus and concentrate will be =much more valuable in life than learning about moses.

Increase the learning skills.

Do you make a custom of dropping red herrings here or there or did you just have an overwhelming urge to type Moses into a post?

On the other hand no comparative religion class is complete without including Judaism, and it would be a poor discussion of Judaism without including the central figures that shaped that faith of which Moses would certainly be one.

So, yes it is important to know how to focus and concentrate. If that was your intent in introducing Moses to the discussion then bravo. Well done.

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- A federal appeals court in San Francisco upheld the use of the words "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance and "In God We Trust" on U.S. currency, rejecting arguments on Thursday that the phrases violate the separation of church and state.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals panel rejected two legal challenges by Sacramento atheist Michael Newdow, who claimed the references to God disrespect his religious beliefs.

"The Pledge is constitutional," Judge Carlos Bea wrote for the majority in the 2-1 ruling. "The Pledge of Allegiance serves to unite our vast nation through the proud recitation of some of the ideals upon which our Republic was founded."

The Facts

Well, that's about as LIBERAL a Court as will EVER Rule on this... Don't Expect the Modern SCOTUS to OverRule this Verdict.

:)

peace...

The Facts

Well, that's about as LIBERAL a Court as will EVER Rule on this... Don't Expect the Modern SCOTUS to OverRule this Verdict.

:)

peace...
Yep some of our modern SCROTUM are not even mature enough to take criticism well.

• Thanks
Reactions: mal
funny how everyone's pledging allegiance in a country where nobody has any faith in governance, and everyone hates their fellow man for their ideal of what that allegiance should be eh?

funny how everyone's pledging allegiance in a country where nobody has any faith in governance, and everyone hates their fellow man for their ideal of what that allegiance should be eh?
:clap2:

That might be your opinion....but not mine. I don't "hate" people with different views than mine. We need opposing views to get the best for our country.
I pledge allegiance to my flag, and to my country....where did this governance crap come from?

I pledge allegiance to my flag, and to my country....where did this governance crap come from?

The pledge says it's to the republic. The republic is the system of governance of the nation.

'and to the republic for which it stands'

If you don't even know what you're swearing loyalty to, you should probably just stop talking.

☭proletarian☭;2092837 said:

The pledge says it's to the republic. The republic is the system of governance of the nation.

'and to the republic for which it stands'

If you don't even know what you're swearing loyalty to, you should probably just stop talking.

A most humble apology.
Having said that, I think people have faith in the type of government, as opposed to other types of government. I can't think of one that has MORE freedoms than our own.

Forum List

Back