Court to Obama: Put up or shut up!

teapartysamurai

Gold Member
Mar 27, 2010
CBS News) In the escalating battle between the administration and the judiciary, a federal appeals court apparently is calling the president's bluff -- ordering the Justice Department to answer by Thursday whether the Obama Administration believes that the courts have the right to strike down a federal law, according to a lawyer who was in the courtroom.

The order, by a three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit, appears to be in direct response to the president's comments yesterday about the Supreme Court's review of the health care law. Mr. Obama all but threw down the gauntlet with the justices, saying he was "confident" the Court would not "take what would be an unprecedented, extraordinary step of overturning a law that was passed by a strong majority of a democratically elected Congress."

Overturning a law of course would not be unprecedented -- since the Supreme Court since 1803 has asserted the power to strike down laws it interprets as unconstitutional. The three-judge appellate court appears to be asking the administration to admit that basic premise -- despite the president's remarks that implied the contrary. The panel ordered the Justice Department to submit a three-page, single-spaced letter by noon Thursday addressing whether the Executive Branch believes courts have such power, the lawyer said.

Appeals court fires back at Obama's comments on health care case - Crossroads - CBS News

And why is Obama and his idiot toadies saying the healthcare bill was "bi-partisan." That is the biggest howler of a LIE that they have told yet. From what I can see only one Republican voted for it. Everyone else voted NO! That's HARDLY bi-partisan.

But the idea that the USSC can't strike down a law as Unconstittuional is ridiculous.

Line Item Veto was struck down by the USSC and it was a VERY popular idea. The people wanted it, and the GOP were ready to deliver it, despite the fact that power would go to Clinton. USSC struck it down, outright. I was very disappointed at the time, that happened, but that's the way the ball bounces.

But, for Obama to act like this is Judicial activism, is even a bigger howler than calling Obamacare bi-partisan.

This won't be the Justices making law from the bench. This will be the justices exercising the power that Marbury vs. Madison gave them. The power to strike down Unconstitutional laws.

What Obama did was basically have a temper tantrum is public. He's sure the USSC won't let him have his way, so he's being a sore loser about it.

I love the court fighting back on this. It's about time.

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Last edited:
I can't wait to see if the supreme court rules by the laws of the constitution, or whether they will do what obama wants. If this court doesn't rule on the constitution merits, then we are all dead fish in the water.

Hes running scared because without it he has absolutely nothing! Not that his helth plan was good to begin with, but nothing.

I think Obama is trying to set up something similar to FDRs attempt to load the bench in his favor after the election.

Judicial Procedures Reform Bill of 1937 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Judging from what I've seen I'm sure Obama has entertained this idea. I think he would be impeached if he attempted it.....but he's into bullying tactics and it's a very good possibility that he might try this if he gets 4 more years.

I have no doubt that Barry thought once he was in office he could push his agenda. He thought it would be a cakewalk. Everyone would just fall all over him and his ideas.

After all Hope and Change convinced a lot of folks until they figured out what bs his Hope and Change really is.

Surprise. Surprise.

I have no doubt that Barry thought once he was in office he could push his agenda. He thought it would be a cakewalk. Everyone would just fall all over him and his ideas.

After all Hope and Change convinced a lot of folks until they figured out what bs his Hope and Change really is.

Surprise. Surprise.

Well, it's really not so much his agenda but Bill Ayers and George Soros' agenda.

Obama just wants to be taken care of and not have to worry about shit.

Obama is acting like a "dear leader" and that's terrifying. I wonder if we should try to escape while we still can. Has Canada built any boarder fences to keep the illegal scum from the south out of their paradise yet? What does it cost to be smuggled out of this nation now infested and overrun with cannibalistic parasites?

I can't wait to see if the supreme court rules by the laws of the constitution, or whether they will do what obama wants. If this court doesn't rule on the constitution merits, then we are all dead fish in the water.

Agreed!

I think Obama is trying to set up something similar to FDRs attempt to load the bench in his favor after the election.

Judicial Procedures Reform Bill of 1937 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Judging from what I've seen I'm sure Obama has entertained this idea. I think he would be impeached if he attempted it.....but he's into bullying tactics and it's a very good possibility that he might try this if he gets 4 more years.

Yeah, FDR attempting to pack the court. I wouldn't put ANYTHING as beyond Obama.

obama sees himself as one of the great presidents of all time. More to the point, as one of the greatest leaders of all time. He has compared himself to Ghandi and Mandela. There is no limit to this creature's hubris.

obama isn't FDR, obama is disliked by too many people who see through his crap to the sewer beyond.

obama sees himself as one of the great presidents of all time.

When I'm feeling sinister and hateful, I sometimes wish he would win a second term. Everyone that votes for this "dear leader" kind of change deserve to suffer the ramifications of their choice of change. :lol: It's called TEACH!

obama sees himself as one of the great presidents of all time.

When I'm feeling sinister and hateful, I sometimes wish he would win a second term. Everyone that votes for this "dear leader" kind of change deserve to suffer the ramifications of their choice of change. :lol: It's called TEACH!

No, we don't need to destroy a country to teach some idiots a lesson. All we need do is elect a Republican and watch them try to talk their way out of HOW the economy came back under a Republican but was trashed under Democrat.

My guess is, they would still claim it was Bush's fault.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

As it looks today, we will have another 4 years of Obama. Of course that can change in 6 months. If he does get re-elected the four listed are the oldest and most susceptible of resigning or dying. So Obama may be able to install a few justices. Of course Thomas is not on the list.
Scalia and Kennedy 1936
Ginsburg 1933
Breyer 1938

Forum List

Back