Court to hear case on Guantanamo detainees

Status
Not open for further replies.

acludem

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2003
Missouri
I hope these people get their fair day in court.

acludem
===================================

Landmark habeas corpus case
Supreme Court to hear from Guantanamo detainees

Joe Raedle / Getty Images
Army officers walk through a cellblock where detainees from the war in Afghanistan are held at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
By Tom Curry
National affairs writer
MSNBC
Updated: 5:57 p.m. ET April 19, 2004WASHINGTON - The writ of habeas corpus allows U.S. citizens being held in jail to go before a judge to challenge their imprisonment. In a historic argument to be heard by the Supreme Court on Tuesday, detainees captured in Afghanistan and now imprisoned at the U.S. Naval Base in Guantanamo Bay in Cuba are asserting the same right to challenge their detention.

Lawyers for the detainees say they are being held in a case of mistaken identity and should be granted habeas corpus so they can go before a judge who could order their release.

“The four Petitioners have never been enemy aliens or unlawful combatants,” according to the brief for Pakistani citizen Shafiq Rasul and three other detainees.

“The four Petitioners had no involvement, direct or indirect, in any terrorist act, including the attacks of September 11, 2001. They maintain … that they are innocent of wrongdoing, and the United States has never presented evidence to the contrary,” said the brief.

The Guantanamo detainees, it said, “have been cast into a legal limbo, held … without charges, without recourse to any legal process, and with no opportunity to establish their innocence.”

The Supreme Court will not address the question of whether the detainees are al-Qaida or Taliban members.
===============================
The rest is at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4779743/

Which brings us back to the Patriot Act.

I'm all for locking up terrorists and throwing away the key.
But if there is some innocent student down in Guantanamo just because of his citizenship...

Well, it will be interesting to see how it all turns out.

There is a great saying by MLK, Jr. that has often guided me through difficult times. It goes: "The true measure of a man is not where he stands in times of comfort, but where he stands in times of distress and discomfort.

Likewise, America stands now in judgement by the whole world.
This is why the Patriot Act scares me most. At a time when we are most afraid, we are also most vulnerable.

I think there is great significance in this case and I'll be curious to hear what goes down.

Upon seeing Shep Smith[FOX] take a step back from the morally & legally correct stance, I sent him this PING:

Hey, Shep! Is it just me or are you starting to look a little "pink?"

Dear Shep,

Before you & Lise could even SAY "Japanese internment camps," I said, "I swear to Joss they had better not compare this to Japane"....Then, you guys said it!

The internment camps housed rounded-up INNOCENT AMERICAN CIVILIANS. These rat bastards at Gitmo are either terrorists who tried to kill our soldiers or collaborators. The two, in fact, are COMPLETE opposites.

I love you & FOX- in a manly, non-Angel way- but please don't start pinking out on us, ok? You now have the correct 411, so be sure not to make this erroneous comparison, again, ok? Thanks!

btw- You DO KNOW that Jane has a major crush on you, right?

The Bastard Son of Newt Gingrich & Expert on the Jossverse,

SPIKESMYGOD

Originally posted by SPIKESMYGOD

The internment camps housed rounded-up INNOCENT AMERICAN CIVILIANS. These rat bastards at Gitmo are either terrorists who tried to kill our soldiers or collaborators. The two, in fact, are COMPLETE opposites.

How the hell would you know they are either/or? Is it my mistaken belief that they have let go almost a hundred from gitmo and flown them back to their home nations because they FINALLY decided they WEREN'T either/or.

Back in 1943, those thousands of Japanese American citizens were rounded up because it was thought that THEY TOO, were collaborators.

Stop jumping to conclusions and let the court system do its job instead of hiding behind the 'national security' motto. It fucks you up more than it helps you.

If the four in question are not US citizens, and were fighting for the Taliban/al-Qaeda, they sure as hell don't deserve any Constitutional protections.

And before you jump on me for being a "neo-con," I fully supported Jose Padilla's quest for a trial. He is a US citizen, terrorist supporter or not. These others are not US citizens and do not deserve the protections our Constitution provides.

DK-

You just never get enough, do ya?

Yes, I am a LITTLE disturbed by the lack of trials, but I have confidence in our military to decide who was shooting at them or collaborating with the shooters, though I know you believe that they, our soldiers, are all baby-killing, trigger-happy, sadistic thugs......but I'm sure that your lot "supports our troops."

Look, if you are so worried about these scumbags' rights, go over to fuc&ing Iraq's sunni triangle or up in the hills of Afghanistan with the remaining members of Al Qaeda, fly an American flag, & try to make some friends.

Oh, wait! You would probably BURN the flag, so you, in fact, might just fit right in with them.

One - You're a fucking moron.

Two - You have no fucking clue about a goddamn thing

Three - I was a US Marine for 6 years, what the fuck did your dumbass do for this country?

Four - shut your fucking mouth about shit you don't know about.

It's morons like you, who THINK they know everything, but in reality don't have a clue because you've been spoonfed shit from day one.

You refuse to learn from history, you're doomed to repeat the failures of the past. Until you can open your mind and use it to actually THINK, instead of just regurgitate vomitous bullshit you've heard from rush limbaug, shut your fucking mouth.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
One - You're a fucking moron.

Two - You have no fucking clue about a goddamn thing

Three - I was a US Marine for 6 years, what the fuck did your dumbass do for this country?

Four - shut your fucking mouth about shit you don't know about.

It's morons like you, who THINK they know everything, but in reality don't have a clue because you've been spoonfed shit from day one.

You refuse to learn from history, you're doomed to repeat the failures of the past. Until you can open your mind and use it to actually THINK, instead of just regurgitate vomitous bullshit you've heard from rush limbaug, shut your fucking mouth.

What's the difference between one and two?

Since I don't get enough I'll say some more.

Yes, I am a LITTLE disturbed by the lack of trials,

Then fucking DO something about it you lazy ass shit!! Don't just 'let it slide' because, in case you've forgotten HISTORY again, we did this shit TWICE before and fucked it up both times because assholes like you think its ok to just fuck shit up in the name of national security and trusting government entities.

why is it that you can't trust your government to spend your money better than you do, but are willing to blindly trust them on military issues? are you that fucking dense?

Look, if you are so worried about these scumbags' rights,

I concern myself with EVERYONES rights, including yours (shit for brains), whether you think they deserve them or not. Since you wish to forget the past, let me remind your stupid ass that violating human rights is a national pasttime for our country when it comes to non-americans or non-american looking people but you're happy as a pig in shit to just say 'sorry, we'll do better next time' and expect god and the world to just be satisfied with that. Get over yourself, you're not as righteous as you think you are, boy.

God I hate fuckheads who have no intelligence

Bloody HELL!

I haven't seen such a vicious attack since....well.....the LAST time I brutalized a liberal.

Perhaps, we need a mod?
ROTFLMFAO

I guess I was wrong when I said liberals were consumed by hate, huh?
LMFAO

Was it bad booze? Bad weed? Bad crack? What, did ANOTHER member of the Grateful Dead drop, well, dead?

Look, I have a deal for ya:

You apologize within 12 hours for your over-the-line attack, and I will let this go.

If not, well....you're a smart boy. YOU figure it out.

You have until (Looks at watch)

Gee, I guess you have until high noon, tomorrow.

Take care,

SPIKES

Originally posted by SPIKESMYGOD
Bloody HELL!

I haven't seen such a vicious attack since....well.....the LAST time I brutalized a liberal.

doesn't change the fact you're still a fucking moron and if you consider what you did a 'brutalizing', then you give yourself WAY too much credit.

Perhaps, we need a mod?

you rang, Fucktard?

I guess I was wrong when I said liberals were consumed by hate, huh?

Yes, you would be wrong again, because this would be a liberal tired of seeing your stupid bullshit.

Look, I have a deal for ya:

You apologize within 12 hours for your over-the-line attack, and I will let this go.

Ain't never gonna happen fucktard

If not, well....you're a smart boy. YOU figure it out.

I eagerly await your idiocy again

Gee, I guess you have until high noon, tomorrow.

ah, this is already boring the shit out of me, STFU.

take care, k?

DK. They're prisoners of war, captured during war. They'll get free when the war is over. If they're lucky. Now go ahead and unleash a stream of obscenities!

I want you to.

I like it.

Originally posted by rtwngAvngr
DK. They're prisoners of war, captured during war. They'll get free when the war is over. If they're lucky. Now go ahead and unleash a stream of obscenities!

I want you to.

I like it.

just for you RWA. :whip:

Dear Fellow Republicans,

I know that this recent attack has shocked some of you as much as it has me- DK was always a high-strung pinko, but I have NEVER seen him like this- so the question is what to do- obviously he has lost ALL credibility as a mod, FOREVER. Now, I could take the high road or start crying the liberal victim cry, but that isn't me. I'm sorry this had to happen here, and perhaps he needs your love & prayers for whatever RL trauma through which he is going. However, that isn't me. My posts to him & other libs here have always been edgy & sarcastic, but he was one of the LAST people I would expect to take it to the gutter. It's quite a shame.

DK-

Well, since you have called me every name in the book and refused to apologize, you have left me no choice but to respond to this disgusting attack. Now, unfortunately, you'll see why people in some circles refer to me as The Resident Fascist.

Gee, what set you off like a maniac? Whatever happened to open debate? You liberals are all for free speech & tolerance....as long as nobody disagrees with you, right? LMFAO

btw- The rights of foreigners?

Sorry, but I could give a FU*K about the lives or deaths of anti-American foreign terrorists. THEY HAVE NO RIGHTS, NANCY!!! If I had MY way, I would "clear" Gitmo out by day's end. I mean, BLOODY HELL! You pinkos love Stalin & Castro so much, you shouldn't have a problem with my Final Solution- just feel lucky that compassionate conservative W. Bush is in office, not me! Like all liberals, you don't love the Constitution, you just use it to find ways to weaken America.

After reading your posts, I am VERY regretful that I EVER said you liberals are driven by hatred. You have obviously shown how level-headed you guys are. Were you ALWAYS like this, or did your brain get a good washing somewhere along the way? Seeing that I used to be a radical liberal, who was proud to be to the left of Ted Kennedy, I know your kind inside & out: You're all red, white, & blue on the outside, but on the inside you are a bright shade of Soviet red!

Today, in Iraq, terrorists detonated a bomb which killed or injured over 100, many of them little innocent school children, only trying to ride the bus to school. Just yesterday, your "comrade" Michael Moore said that these thugs were "the real Minute Men, the revolutionaries, the freedom fighters, and they wil win." So, how many innocents have to die in a single attack before you and your terrorist-loving kind throw a house party? If I were in charge and didn't love the American philosophy so much, I would stick naughty lil' boys like you two in a "nice summer CAMP!"

So, you were in the military?

NEWSFLASH, POOF!

I DON'T CARE!

I do more for this country just by waking UP than you EVER did disgracing our military's uniform.

Just like the 9/11 Jersey Sluts who cry loss to attack America, you think because you served in the military, turned your green jacket inside-out & dyed it red, and, now, claim veteran status that this gives you special credibility to rape the flag & spew your hatred for Bush & America? Well, you are dead wrong. Even if you WERE in the military- I will take you at your word- you somehow got lost along the way if you support such a treasonous piece of human garbage like John "I'm proud of my war crimes" Kerry.

Other wonderful veterans & former members of the U.S. military:

Timothy McVeigh

John Mohammad, the D.C. sniper.

Lee Harvey Oswald.

Hell, I bet you wish you had been in Iraq this time 'round so you could have helped that Muslim fuck roll a few MORE grenades into some military tents, huh?

Tell ya what, if you have the balls to admit that you hate America, I'll have the balls to spit on the uniform which you defiled AND the one that punk-ass bitch Kerry violated, as WELL!

Deal?

GO FU*K JANE FONDA & DIE, YOU FILTHY TRAITOR!

Hon,

Leave it be - he's not a worthy adversary; poor thing cant even tell time......

oh well:huh:

Originally posted by rtwngAvngr

I want you to.

I like it.

you LIKE it? Gee RWA, Im shocked. YOU????

You seem so gentle and noncombative to me :p:

Spikes,

As much as you and I agree on lots of issues, you ought to read up a little bit more on DK. He is one of the most clear-headed people on this board, mod or not. He always has a clear position on the issues, and he backs his positions up with fact. Now I don't always agree with him on stuff, but for the most part, he is a very clear and level-headed guy. In fact, I rarely see him make personal attacks, unless someone assumes that he is a typical anti-war liberal (which he is not). Your ranting against him is not going to gain you anything, especially with the "old-timers" on the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back