Couple Of Questions About The John Edwards Case

The prosecution's star witness today said clearly the $$$ came from private funds and that Edwards clearly believed what they were doing was legal. If the $$$ can't be traced into the campaign accounting itself, this man, whom I despise, may well walk away free.
And is that a good thing or bad thing as you see it?

MarcATL, if the jury finds Edwards innocent or guilty, I will have no trouble abiding the decision.

I have noticed the some of the far right weirdos above seem to want him convicted simply because he is a liberal. Seems very American to me, because I know some liberals who believe Cheney should be convicted because . . . he is Cheney. Very American.
Yep.

But did you mean UN-AMERICAN?

Edwards faces six charges that include one count of conspiracy, four counts of accepting illegal campaign contributions and one count of making false statements. If convicted on all counts, Edwards could face up to 30 years in prison and $1.5 million in fines.
John Edwards Trial: 'Truth May Be a Sin ... Not a Crime' - ABC News

Seems like there is plenty to investigate. If he is found to be a scummy politician, but not a criminal - that's fine...but to imply that there is nothing to investigate, or that the charges are only being brought against him for political reasons...seems very disingenuous to me.

Edwards faces six charges that include one count of conspiracy, four counts of accepting illegal campaign contributions and one count of making false statements. If convicted on all counts, Edwards could face up to 30 years in prison and $1.5 million in fines.

Seems like there is plenty to investigate. If he is found to be a scummy politician, but not a criminal - that's fine...but to imply that there is nothing to investigate, or that the charges are only being brought against him for political reasons...seems very disingenuous to me.
I really wouldn't care either way, he's pretty scuzzy and scummy. But I'm just addressing the PRINCIPLE of the matter, particularly highlighting how the Right seems QUICK to prosecute, want to prosecute and go after the Left whenever any SLIGHT has occured, but are even QUICKER to ignore and even DEFEND their fellow Righties when even criminal activities occur.

That is my only point really.

You won't see me crying for Edwards if he goes down. And as a politician...I loved him.

You will see this sentiment expressed throughout the Left. On the Right, they tend to embrace and encourage their criminals and other bad behavior. Stark and vast difference.

Last edited:
Right wingers are very vindictive and hold a grudge forever.
And they would much rather attack the other side than do anything constructive on their own.

Last edited:
What's the name of the crime?

And recently The Witch from Delaware was running for office, she used funds inappropriately as well, to pay for her living expenses. I suppose she should be hunted down and hauled before a tribuna...I mean...jury as well...right?

And let's not forget Bill Clinton who was guilty of whatever Edwards was....

There was no CRIME committed then, so Bill was guilty of nada.

So...he gave up his law license to save the dues?

And is that a good thing or bad thing as you see it?

MarcATL, if the jury finds Edwards innocent or guilty, I will have no trouble abiding the decision.

I have noticed the some of the far right weirdos above seem to want him convicted simply because he is a liberal. Seems very American to me, because I know some liberals who believe Cheney should be convicted because . . . he is Cheney. Very American.
Yep.

But did you mean UN-AMERICAN?

Very American in practice, yes. But, yet, Un-American in principle.

But was this even a prosecution that needed to be brought.

If Bunny Mellon felt that her money was squandered, that would be another issue. But she gave the money knowing it would be used for non-campaign expenses. (She proposed it after Edwards got crucified for the infamous $400.00 hair cut.)

There is a lot about John Edwards to despise. Absolutely.

But was his conduct criminal. And if it was, was it really worth making a federal case over.

As it stands now, without one day in court, his reputation is ruined, his marriage ended badly, and his kids will be giving him dirty looks for the rest of his life. Is there some greater good that is going to be accomplished by sending him to prison on top of that.

Does anything think that politicians will stop cheating on their wives, or that the wealthy will stop trying to buy influence with them? Bloody unlikely.

Forum List

Back