Couple demands halt to neighbor's smoking

MtnBiker

Sep 28, 2003
Rocky Mountains
Restraining order sought over nuisance to health
By Phil Trexler

Robert Zangrando has had it up to his chest, nose and eyes with his neighbor's smoking and he's taking her to court to get her to quit.

Zangrando, a retired University of Akron history professor who lives in Stow, was in Summit County court Thursday with his wife and lawyer.

Together they are seeking a restraining order against his next-door neighbor, Nicole Kuder, 28, that would prohibit her from smoking outdoors within 30 feet of her condominium.

Zangrando, 71, and his wife, UA instructor Lisa A. Pace, contend the smoking affects their health and has become a nuisance.

Before the hearing, Kuder said, ``I have tried to accommodate them, and this is the result.''

The couple's attorney, Ed Gilbert, called the situation an emergency and wanted Common Pleas Judge Marvin Shapiro to rule immediately on the restraining order request. Shapiro declined because Kuder came to court without an attorney.

Akron attorney Tom Adgate was retained by Kuder just before the hearing and was unable to attend. Shapiro delayed ruling until the hearing resumes Tuesday with Kuder and her attorney.

Kuder and Zangrando have been neighbors in a condominium complex on Higby Drive for about two years. Their two-story units are separated only by a shared wall. They share a front porch, and a wooden fence separates their back doors.

Zangrando said his neighbor's cigarette smoking is apparent whenever he opens a window or steps outside his home. He said the fumes compromise his health, causing him to wheeze and cough.

He said he suffers from lung problems, including emphysema, and has had asthma in the past. He said the smoking is such that he is reluctant to let his dog or two cats outside.

``It hits you right away, the minute you walk out the door. It catches me, I start coughing, I know she's smoking, I can see she's smoking visually, and I can get the effects of the smoke when I inhale what should be fresh air in my own back patio,'' Zangrando told the judge.

Kuder rents the condo she and her family live in and is not permitted to smoke inside the unit. Zangrando and Pace have owned their unit since marrying in 1996.

``It's a constant reality. She's out there smoking, and I have been appealing to her since she first moved: Please, if you're going smoke, would you move away from the house because the fumes come in our house, and we no longer have discretionary use of our house,'' Zangrando told the judge.

He said he has tried for more than a year to convince Kuder to smoke elsewhere, to no avail. He said he tried to reach an agreement in October, but Kuder and her husband, who does not smoke, refused to sign.

Kuder said Zangrando wanted her to walk to a nearby parking lot to smoke. She said he snoops on her, photographs her movements and has yelled at her to ``go, kill my family'' with her cigarettes.

``I tried to be nice and go out back and compromise, but they constantly harass us,'' Kuder said outside court. ``There have been times when I've had friends over, and he comes out screaming at us. It bothers me, but at the same time, I try to be a respectful smoker.''

link

He said the smoking is such that he is reluctant to let his dog or two cats outside.

:cuckoo: Sounds like the guy is cuckoo. But really do we want to unleash the smoking Nazis? :smoke:

Sounds like an issue for the condo complex. If smoking is permitted on the premises, just not inside the condo, then this guy has no case. His best alternative is working with the owners to be relocated to another unit. If the smoker is adhering to the posted rules then I don't see them doing anything wrong.

If you don't like smoke - go away from it.

Just another loser who should be put in jail for jamming up the court's time and money with nonsense. If you don't like the smoking go buy a house so that your property is separate from anyone elses. Common areas outside are just that....common. Smoking is legal.

did this goof-ass couple even try a fan??? or other means to come to a compromise? I doubt it. there are was to make people happy, me stopping my habit is NOT one of them

Forum List

Back