County makes English its official language

Who cares what the "official" language of this hum drum place is. I couldnt give two dumps worth of what their county ordinance is or what their official language is. Good for them. If it makes em happy then so be it. Maybe I'll drive there and speak Russian or something. Really throw a twist at them they are uncapable of understanding. Translation: WHO CARES?

My bank has instructions written in several languages on how to use their ATMs. Are you fruitcakes suggesting that we tell businesses that they can give instructions for using their products only in English? I thought you asses were against government regulations?

Making English the official language would have no bearing on such things as practiced by private citizens and businesses.

Making English the official language would have no bearing on such things as practiced by private citizens and businesses.

Ok then, why are you making a foreign language the language of the American people ???

So what's racist about stating that all official county documents and any business it conducts should be written in English?
It creates uniformity in operations and cohesion in the community.
Plus, like it or not, English IS our official language. Maybe not legally, but for all intents and purposes, the USA is an English speaking country.

English as the "official language" laws are written to pander to idiots such as the poster in post #6

You must be fun to play poker with.

Dude, you're playing the race card AGAIN!?!? This is fucking POKER, put the race card away. It doesn't even make sense...

You see it as a wild card don't you? Sorry, I have all aces again. 5 race cards, that's 5 aces, pay up...

This is what the ordinance says: “The use of a common language removes barriers of misunderstanding and helps to unify the people of Frederick County, the state and the United States, and helps to enable the full economic and civic participation of all its citizens, regardless of national origin, creed, race or other characteristics, and thus a compelling governmental interest exists in promoting, preserving and strengthening the use of the English language.”

"This is what the ordinance means: Official county documents and business will be written and conducted in English, but matters of public safety can still be conducted in other languages."

Nothing racist about this. Only ignorant people would think this is racist. The United States is suppose to be a "melting pot" in which people "assimilate".

Frederick County makes English its official language - Rosenwald, Md. - The Washington Post

Outstanding.
I am sending this to our Board of Supervisors.
Maybe we can be next.
This "Press 2 for Spanish" is bullshit.
My grandparents didn't have a "Press 2 for Polish" option.
By God, they LEARNED the language of their new country.
Why are we catering to these non-citizens?

The difference is that Spanish is an official American language, Polish isn't.
Really? Since when and where is this?

My bank has instructions written in several languages on how to use their ATMs. Are you fruitcakes suggesting that we tell businesses that they can give instructions for using their products only in English? I thought you asses were against government regulations?

You're going to have to walk people who aren't stupid like you through this one.

Government is transacting business in English? That means private businesses will be prohibited from communicating with their customers! I thought you hated government!!!

No, we just ignore stupid people. That's you. I would have assumed you would have gotten that, but since we know you're stupid, I pointed it out.

The law does what it intends to do........let brown skin people know they are not welcome in Frederick County
They are welcome. As long as they are here legally. There will always be government employees who will translate for residents who do not speak English or are learning English.
Only a knee jerk fool would look at this ordinance the way you do.
Shut it, sewer boy.

The law does what it intends to do........let brown skin people know they are not welcome in Frederick County
They are welcome. As long as they are here legally. There will always be government employees who will translate for residents who do not speak English or are learning English.
Only a knee jerk fool would look at this ordinance the way you do.
Shut it, sewer boy.

He's looking for government freebies and he's willing to use every brown skin to get it. RW is a racist. The worst kind. The kind who uses them to achieve his own selfish objectives then pats himself on the back for his open heartedness.

official American language,

Explain?

Used in government and spoken by most of the native born American citizens of the area.

If you eliminated the word official you would have been OK.

Just about every language on the planet is spoken here.

That's only half of it. Spanish and English are the only ones used by government and I wasn't talking about languages spoken by immigrants, but by native born American citizens.

Ok then, why are you making a foreign language the language of the American people ???

Spanish isn't a forewign language, but an American language. What of native born American citizens where Spanish is used by government and most of the populace?

Outstanding.
I am sending this to our Board of Supervisors.
Maybe we can be next.
This "Press 2 for Spanish" is bullshit.
My grandparents didn't have a "Press 2 for Polish" option.
By God, they LEARNED the language of their new country.
Why are we catering to these non-citizens?

The difference is that Spanish is an official American language, Polish isn't.
Really? Since when and where is this?

FINALLY!! Someone asks. Puerto Rico

Forum List

Back