Country With the World's Most Successful Education System

Bfgrn

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2009
thisisFINLAND: Facts: Education & research
All Finnish kids address their teachers by their first names, as the students at Helsinki's Strömberg School do, but many other aspects of education at this school can be considered progressive no matter where you're from.

The teachers are respected; high talent is attracted into teaching; it is considered to be one of the most important professions.”

-Finnish Prime Minister, Matti Vanhanen

We probably don't need to go much beyond the above quote to explain the great success of Finland's educational system.

Although the country is comparatively small, Finland has the principal research and development offices of Nokia -- along with 800 other high-tech companies, some overflowing their expertise into neighboring Russia.

This country, not too far from the Arctic circle, is considered to be in the top three of the world’s most competitive countries.

The reason seems clear: its educational system.

The Finnish government keeps the pressure on students to a point that they complain of a lack of fun at school. At the same time, there are no nationwide exams or even final tests. There is continuous assessment -- a mixture of monthly tests and teacher evaluations.

The Finns make sure that all children get fed by providing free meals at school. They subsidize student travel, which they feel is a major part of the education process.

However badly behaved, no student fears expulsion. The emphasis is "getting to the bottom of" whatever behavior problems emerge.

Only 15 per cent of those who apply to be teachers are accepted, even though pay levels are about average for Europe. A master’s degree is required. (Not unrelated, for it's size this country has one of the highest percentage of Ph.D.s in the world.) Teachers are regularly sent on courses during their long holidays to upgrade their knowledge and skills.

The Finns focus on students in need and reject a class-stratified educational system. They feel that equality in the classroom ends up being a plus and not a hindrance to overall progress.

Thus, the educational gap between the "haves" and the "have-not's" shrinks, and the overall level of student and adult achievement in the country is raised.

http://www.cybercollege.com/plume.htm

I thought the united states was the best country in the world. Between medical, educational and basic standards of living, we suck. Especially child mortality rates.

But...But...But.... progressive education doesn't work :(

I'd point out, that the big secret here is that Finland has made education a priority, something many of the individual States in the Union did not do. The States hit the hardest by the loss of manufacturing jobs overseas are often the States that prioritized education lowest.

There are good high paying jobs in the USA still, and good successful companies looking for homes. The trick is, to get that job, and to draw in that company you and your community have had to make education a priority.

The Finnish government keeps the pressure on students to a point that they complain of a lack of fun at school. At the same time, there are no nationwide exams or even final tests. There is continuous assessment -- a mixture of monthly tests and teacher evaluations
This is the secret source of Finnish success.
The school pushes the students.
It is tough.
NO cakewalk social promotion bull here.
Hence, students learn.

I'd point out, that the big secret here is that Finland has made education a priority, something many of the individual States in the Union did not do. The States hit the hardest by the loss of manufacturing jobs overseas are often the States that prioritized education lowest.

There are good high paying jobs in the USA still, and good successful companies looking for homes. The trick is, to get that job, and to draw in that company you and your community have had to make education a priority.
Pffffffft.
Boston Scientific to leave Doral - South Florida Business Journal:

The Finnish government keeps the pressure on students to a point that they complain of a lack of fun at school. At the same time, there are no nationwide exams or even final tests. There is continuous assessment -- a mixture of monthly tests and teacher evaluations
This is the secret source of Finnish success.
The school pushes the students.
It is tough.
NO cakewalk social promotion bull here.
Hence, students learn.

I think you are ignoring all the other aspects of their teaching methods.

Anything we do to improve education will involve a finacial investment and the only answer the conservatives have to that idea is "throwing money at the problem" is wrong.

Every corporation who seeks to improve any aspect of their business starts by an investment in the future operations ("throwing money at the problem") yet people refuse to allow any attempts to do so in our government.

Much of the problems with the US education fall back upon the parents and citizens of the USA.

Many just use school as a babysitter and feeder of their children.
Parent participation is miserable. You will see a direct correletion between the levels of parent participation and student achievements.
And I am not talking about participating in soccer or somesuch.

You cant force parents to participate. You have to do what they do and feed them a decent meal and then engauge their minds while they are at school.

That is what this system does and it works.

Pffffffft.
Boston Scientific to leave Doral - South Florida Business Journal:

Ouch.

I'd point out, that the big secret here is that Finland has made education a priority, something many of the individual States in the Union did not do.

PHHHTTTTTTTtttttttt.......

Hope this already hasn't been mentioned, but here goes:

1. I wonder, how many FSL (Finnish as Second Language) Finland Has?

2. I wonder, how much Racial Diversity Finland Has?

Let's compare ourselves with other apples instead of oragnes.

I'd point out, that the big secret here is that Finland has made education a priority, something many of the individual States in the Union did not do.

Not much diversity:

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/fi.html

Ethnic groups:

Finn 93.4%, Swede 5.6%, Russian 0.5%, Estonian 0.3%, Roma (Gypsy) 0.1%, Sami 0.1% (2006)
Religions:

Lutheran Church of Finland 82.5%, Orthodox Church 1.1%, other Christian 1.1%, other 0.1%, none 15.1% (2006)
Languages:

Finnish 91.2% (official), Swedish 5.5% (official), other 3.3% (small Sami- and Russian-speaking minorities) (2007)
Literacy:

definition: age 15 and over can read and write
total population: 100%
male: 100%
female: 100% (2000 est.)
School life expectancy (primary to tertiary education):

total: 17 years
male: 17 years
female: 18 years (2006)

OR we could make excuses...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With free, high-quality education for all
Finland's repeated success in the PISA (Programme for International Student Assessment) study has focused widespread international attention on the country's school system and its support for lifelong learning. They form the basis of this excellence.

Finnish teenagers' maths, science and reading skills are rated at or close to the top of the nearly 60 countries assessed in the PISA (Programme for International Student Assessment) study.

A three-yearly appraisal of 15-year-olds in the principal industrialised countries, PISA is organised by the OECD (Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development). For the results gathered in 2006 and published in 2007, a total of 4,714 students from 155 schools took part in Finland.

In that PISA study, special attention was paid to natural sciences, in which Finnish 15-year-olds came out on top by a large margin ahead of Japan, Hong Kong and Korea. Finland's score of 563 points in this category was also the highest total ever recorded in a PISA study.

In reading comprehension Finnish youngsters ranked second after South Korea, and in mathematics they trailed top-scorer Chinese Taipei by only one point.

Understanding children's needs

According to the survey, the strength of the Finnish school system is that it guarantees equal learning opportunities, regardless of social background. Instead of comparison between pupils, the focus is on supporting and guiding pupils with special needs. Very few children need to be made to repeat a year.

The teaching staff in Finnish schools is highly educated. Qualifications for all school levels require a Master of Arts degree including extensive pedagogical study and qualifications in special subjects.

Small children's feelings of safety and motivation are increased by the fact that they are taught by a single teacher. Also, although students receive progress evaluations, scaled grading is not introduced until the fifth year. Finnish schools aim for natural, warm relations between teachers and pupils.

Comprehensive school

Comprehensive school education is provided by the child's home municipality, and the network of primary-level schools is dense. Instruction and all basic education materials are free of charge for the children, and services include a free hot lunch every day, school healthcare and free transport for children who live too far from the school to walk or use public transport.

Preschool instruction is provided for six-year-olds. This is voluntary, but almost the entire age group participates.

Instruction is provided in both official languages, Finnish and Swedish. In major cities schooling is available in other languages as well. Special schools exist for disabled or hospitalised children. Practically every Finnish child goes to school.

Inside Finnish schools

Classes number about 30 pupils per age group, usually less in the younger classes. For the first six years of comprehensive school, the children are instructed by a class teacher. Instruction during the last three years of comprehensive school is taken over by subject teachers. Pupils are also given special instruction if needed for speech impediments and for reading and writing problems or similar special needs.

Comprehensive school subjects include native language and literature; other languages; environmental studies; civics; religion or ethics; history; social studies; mathematics; physics; chemistry; biology; geography; physical education; music; art; handicrafts and home economics. The goals of instruction and the core curriculum are the same nationwide, but the local authorities and schools draw up their own local curricula on that basis.

Emphasis on languages

Finnish schools emphasize foreign language studies. The first foreign language is generally introduced in the third year of comprehensive school and the second domestic language (Swedish for Finnish-speaking pupils and Finnish for Swedish speakers) in the seventh year, if not sooner.

In addition, pupils may opt for up to six different languages by the completion of upper secondary level. The most common foreign languages are English, German, French, Russian and Spanish.

Immigrants with native languages other than Finnish or Swedish receive special instruction in Finnish as a second language. Municipally funded instruction in the children's native language is provided twice a week.

I have a good friend that went on his mission in 1988-89 (he is LDS) in Finland. He says that it was the a very intolerant country and he was beat up several times, had his copies of the book of mormon seized repeatedly, was locked up in jail 3 times for giving copies of the book of mormon away. he was finally deported by the finish govt. as an 'undesirable alien".
Now that is an educated country. Teach the kids to be intolerant and only allow the government approved point of view to be disseminated among the public.

Excuses for not having? ....what exactly? A school system like Finland?:cuckoo:

Do I really need to post demographic data for the USA so we can understand that we're comparing two completely different govenments, geographies, histories, cultures, etc., etc?

I thought the united states was the best country in the world. Between medical, educational and basic standards of living, we suck. Especially child mortality rates.
What's the cancer survival rates in all those vaunted state run medical systems? 20%? 25%? 35%

In the US, what is it again? 75-85%.

Do those other nations report as 'infant mortality', abortions, stillborn and other less than stellar statistics, lumping them in the whole? The answer is "nope".

That said, we have a long way to improve, just not as long as they have to go.

Is the Finnish education model scalable to the population levels of the US?

Waah It is all the immigrants fault!

Ohh wait most all of us are immigrants or descended from immigrants :eek:

Excuses for not having? ....what exactly? A school system like Finland?:cuckoo:

Do I really need to post demographic data for the USA so we can understand that we're comparing two completely different govenments, geographies, histories, cultures, etc., etc?

Cuckoo?
So tell me, is America falling way behind in all areas except arresting and incarcerating human beings because certain ethnic groups are unable to learn? Or...maybe America has become an Oligarchy, and the Reagan revolution and the Contract with America were really a contract to sell out a vital middle class for wealthy corporations and a powerful elite?

THEIR kids aren't suffering are they?

Top of the Class
First broadcast September 2007

Finnish children

Education matters - so what do we know about the best ways to do it?

In this two-part series Owen Bennett-Jones visits educational establishments which have been judged to be the best - whether by tests or surveys - to find out what they can tell us about the best educational practices.

Part One - Finland

Listen to the programme

Finland which has been judged to have the best educational system in the world. Here all schools get good results, teachers have extensive training and children don't start school until they are seven years old.

It's education for all. And each child matters. So what lessons can we learn from Finland?

America say NOTHING...you f_cking leftists don't know shit!

I would like to know how much time in a Finnish school are the kids forced to learn about multi-cultural diversity and hatred for their own nation? How much time is wasted on feelings and tolerance studies as compared to the sciences and math and other aspects of REAL education?

Why oh why do I have suspicions this has something to do with their doing better.

The OP itself demonstrates the failure of our education system.

The entire nation of Finland has less people than the Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens combined. If we had no teacher union in those three boroughs and left the schools in the hands of the communities and parents, the top of our graduating class would be the best in the world, while the worst could all work for ACORN.

Forum List

Back