Country music's Buck Owens dies

Said1

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2004
Somewhere in Ontario
I don't know if there are any fans here, but he was one of my favorites. :(
Buck Owens, 76, one of country music's leading stars and a host of the long-running television variety show "Hee Haw," died March 25 at his home in Bakersfield, Calif.

He died in his sleep, and the cause was not immediately known. He was treated for cancer in 1993 and pneumonia in 1997, but in recent years he had been in good health and performed regularly at his Bakersfield nightclub.

By blending rock-and-roll rhythms with country harmonies, Mr. Owens created the distinctive "Bakersfield sound," which propelled him to enormous success. Between 1959 and 1974, he had 45 songs in the country Top 10 and 20 No. 1 hits, including "Act Naturally" (1963), "Love's Gonna Live Here" (1963), "Together Again" (1964), "I've Got a Tiger by the Tail" (1964) and "Waitin' in Your Welfare Line" (1966).

He was unquestionably the leading country music star of the 1960s, annually selling more than 1 million records. He performed more than 300 nights a year and appeared at Carnegie Hall and the White House. In the mid-1960s, he had 15 consecutive No. 1 country hits. As a patriotic gesture in the late 1960s, he began to perform with a red-white-and-blue guitar, which became a signature

Contined

Country music has lost one of it's patriarch's. RIP Buck.

Dwight Yokam is a big fan of Buck Owens, and sang quite a few songs with him.

Pale Rider said:
Country music has lost one of it's patriarch's. RIP Buck.

Dwight Yokam is a big fan of Buck Owens, and sang quite a few songs with him.

They certainly did. I'm not a huge Dwight Yokam fan, but I really liked them together in "Under Your Spell Again".

I won't tell you what my father called Yokam. He didn't think those tight pants were "right". :D

Said1 said:
They certainly did. I'm not a huge Dwight Yokam fan, but I really liked them together in "Under Your Spell Again".

I won't tell you what my father called Yokam. He didn't think those tight pants were "right". :D

Yeah Dwight's pants are something else. But I still like his music. I probably have more Dwight CD albums than any other. His music is vintage country in it's roots. He hasn't sucken into the current country music pit, where you can hardly tell the difference between it, and pop. I give Dwight a lot of credit for that. Even his newest album, "Blame The Vain", is still done in the old country music tradition.

Forum List

Back