Counting Change

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
Interesting. Not only are arithmetic skills not being learned, but neither is reading. We heard about some people who had to send their son to Sylvan Learning Center to learn to read after he had graduated from high school. He didn't have the reading skills necessary to enroll in college or hold a job. But back to the topic--arithmetic skills.

Facing Change
By Felice Cohen for Jewish World Review
March 8, 2006

When was the last time someone counted back your change after you made a purchase? Even something as simple as a burger at McDonald's? For those who never learn how to give change, McDonald's is most likely where they'll end up working.

Not too long ago, chances were if the total came to $7.05 and we handed over a $10 bill, a cashier would know instinctively to ask, "Got a nickel?" But today, handing over that nickel will most likely cause a cashier to ask a manager for help.

for full article:
http://www.jewishworldreview.com/0306/felice030806.php3

Count? Hah. Noooo. Change is counted by the computer, and then spit out of a little machine on the side of the cash register. The employee only need get the right number of bills back to you at any given gas station, grocery store, or fast food joint.

Tho, if your bill is $7.63, and you hand them $10.13, they do look at you weird....

Shattered said:
Count? Hah. Noooo. Change is counted by the computer, and then spit out of a little machine on the side of the cash register. The employee only need get the right number of bills back to you at any given gas station, grocery store, or fast food joint.

Tho, if your bill is $7.63, and you hand them $10.13, they do look at you weird....
I like quarters. They come in handy for milk money.

Shattered said:

I take it a step farther. If the person actually has to count out the change, and I don't have $10.13 to give them, I'll give them $10.00 and whatever change I have.... 2 cents...16 cents...just to mess with their heads.

I have actually had cashier's call their manager's over to help them figure out the change.

GotZoom said:
I take it a step farther. If the person actually has to count out the change, and I don't have $10.13 to give them, I'll give them $10.00 and whatever change I have.... 2 cents...16 cents...just to mess with their heads.

I have actually had cashier's call their manager's over to help them figure out the change.

Some people are a tad meaner than others.. ;)

Shattered said:
I still will not spank you. I believe a good talking to solves all problems. :D

Curses....foiled again.

title-snidely.gif

GotZoom said:
Curses....foiled again.

title-snidely.gif

...and yet you keep trying.. :)

Now, if you were *really* smart, you'd try that question within a minute of my waking up.

Shattered said:
...and yet you keep trying.. :)

Now, if you were *really* smart, you'd try that question within a minute of my waking up.

Just waiting for the opportunity sweetheart......

GotZoom said:
Just waiting for the opportunity sweetheart......

<i>**swooooooon**</i>

Of course, it might still get you a resounding "No." no matter what day of the week is, but...your odds are more improved if I'm less coherent.

Shattered said:
Of course, it might still get you a resounding "No." no matter what day of the week is, but...your odds are more improved if I'm less coherent.

I would, of course, prefer you to be more coherent...it's almost more fun that way.

Then again....less coherent.....less resistant...

Hmm...note to self.....

GotZoom said:
I would, of course, prefer you to be more coherent...it's almost more fun that way.

Then again....less coherent.....less resistant...

Hmm...note to self.....

:spank3:

For the last time Cashiers. When you give Paper and Coin back, FIRST drop the coins into the hand of the customers. Hold the coins in your palm so they can see, then slide the coins into THEIR palm. NOW place the paper money.

When you stack the coins on top of the paper money, the coins fall off, and onto the ground, when you make the transfer.

Shattered said:

Pssst....got you to spank me..hee hee...

Perhaps...... *change back to "subject of thread" mode.

Here in the south there is a big thing about the customer handing the money/payment to the cashier vice putting it on the counter for them to pick up.

You see, it seems the "racially-sensitive" persons (african-americans) feel that when a white person, either a cashier or a customer, puts their money on the counter instead of into the african-americans hand, it is a snub because the white person doesn't want to "risk" touching the black person.

They never think that it is actually easier to count change while laying it on the counter than in your hand sometimes.

GotZoom said:
<b>Pssst....got you to spank me..hee hee...</b>

Perhaps...... *change back to "subject of thread" mode.

Here in the south there is a big thing about the customer handing the money/payment to the cashier vice putting it on the counter for them to pick up.

You see, it seems the "racially-sensitive" persons (african-americans) feel that when a white person, either a cashier or a customer, puts their money on the counter instead of into the african-americans hand, it is a snub because the white person doesn't want to "risk" touching the black person.

They never think that it is actually easier to count change while laying it on the counter than in your hand sometimes.

You don't think I planned that? ;)

Here, if you put the money on the counter, it's just considered rude, period, and they will stand there waiting for you to pick it up and hand it to them.

Shattered said:
You don't think I planned that? ;)

Here, if you put the money on the counter, it's just considered rude, period, and they will stand there waiting for you to pick it up and hand it to them.

I had that happen once. Cellphone in one hand, money clip and change in the other. I laid the payment on the counter and she (black) just looked at it and at me.

I looked at her and said, "I'm not afraid to touch you.....can't you see my hands are full? Please pick up the money."

Yeah...she was embarrassed...considering I was in front of 4 or 5 other people and they all heard me.

Forum List

Back