Could You?

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
Imagine you found yourself in a country you are completely unfamiliar with (aside from unrealistic media images). Leave aside for now how and why you got there. You don't speak the language at all, know no one, and have had no preparation for the sudden change in your circumstances. You are 16 years old and the last time you were in any school was three years ago. Through a series of unpleasant events you find yourself living alone in this new country, fending entirely for yourself economically, emotionally, academically, and in terms of personal safety.

Now you are given a schedule and set in a classroom in a high school in the middle of a big city you know almost nothing about, and which holds very real dangers for the unsuspecting.

Could you succeed?

An unconquerable resolve. I'd learn faster, knock on doors till I found someone who would pay me to work at whatever job I could find, work for food, or dumpster dive if need be, sleep on the street until I had enough money to upgrade, but I would succeed. If you refuse to accept defeat, the only other choice is success.

An unconquerable resolve. I'd learn faster, knock on doors till I found someone who would pay me to work at whatever job I could find, work for food, or dumpster dive if need be, sleep on the street until I had enough money to upgrade, but I would succeed. If you refuse to accept defeat, the only other choice is success.

Ok, sounds good. Have you ever done anything similar under circumstances like those described?

upload_2016-4-19_12-40-2.jpeg

Too many unknown variables...

What's the climate like? - If it's the dead of winter you could very well freeze to death the first day.

How does the resident population feel about the area of the world you represent?

What is the attitude of law enforcement towards a vagrant/migrant?

How dissimilar is the common language of the resident population?

What's the economy like in that country? - Big factor in finding work anywhere.

How street wise are you?

...and a lot more.

No matter how intelligent and street wise you are there is always the possibility that the cards are going to be stacked against you. Not all countries are going to help out someone, like place them in high school, just because it's the altruistic thing to do. In some countries the best thing to do is try to get the hell out ASAP depending on who you are.

******SMILE*****

:)

None of them. But I have faith in my own capabilities. What ever it takes, not to survive, but to excel.
Circumstances change. I would see to it that mine did.

Hmmm...

Well, confidence is good, but...

If you had nothing else, belief in yourself would be tantamount. Would you stay down? I would set out immediately to better my circumstances. You would too.

The point is, you don't know that you could succeed under such circumstances if you have never done anything remotely similar.

Well, I can't predict the future, and could possibly be run over by a street sweeper, but if defeat isn't a part of your vocabulary, then odds are success is in your future. I wouldn't stop striving until I reached my goal. It wouldn't be easy, but the reward for a job well done is to have done it.

Imagine you found yourself in a country you are completely unfamiliar with (aside from unrealistic media images). Leave aside for now how and why you got there. You don't speak the language at all, know no one, and have had no preparation for the sudden change in your circumstances. You are 16 years old and the last time you were in any school was three years ago. Through a series of unpleasant events you find yourself living alone in this new country, fending entirely for yourself economically, emotionally, academically, and in terms of personal safety.

Now you are given a schedule and set in a classroom in a high school in the middle of a big city you know almost nothing about, and which holds very real dangers for the unsuspecting.

Could you succeed?
I would immediately go to the US, Canadian, British or Swiss Embassy or Consulate and explain my circumstance. They will give you assistance and advice. They'll also give you necessary paperwork to present to authorities. I would learn the language and proceed to to find a Christian church or a synagogue for further advice. Someone with half a brain can solve a lot of problems and unknowns when they pop up.

Could you succeed?

I think very few of us could, but many students who are denigrated in general terms manage to do just that every year. Just sayin'...

Forum List

Back