Could you stay with 1 person your entire life?

I have an uncle who at 17 years old married his 15 year old girlfriend (she wasn't pregnant and was the sheriff's daughter) and they've been together close to 45 years now.

The lowest marriageable age in the US is sixteen. Their marriage is void in the eyes of the law.

Are they rednecks?

I have an uncle who at 17 years old married his 15 year old girlfriend (she wasn't pregnant and was the sheriff's daughter) and they've been together close to 45 years now.

The lowest marriageable age in the US is sixteen. Their marriage is void in the eyes of the law.

Are they rednecks?

Did they come from a small community? Yes. Are they rednecks? Hardly. Apparently though, you are daft. My uncle became a pastor and my aunt served many years on a Congressman's staff. And it was perfectly legal or else her father the sheriff wouldn't have given his blessing or the minister have performed the wedding.

Are they rednecks?

wrong

State-by-State Marriage "Age of Consent" Laws - Divorce & Family Law Center

are you a poofter?

Ah, so that's where you've been. I was beginning to worry.

But, what's this? Good grief, del, you're right. How presumptuous of me. America does indeed permit, often vulnerable, children to wed. My apologies.

Now, onto your second question. No, I'm sorry to disappoint you, del, but I'm not a sausage jockey. You'll have to look elsewhere for a new boyfriend.

Last edited:

Are they rednecks?

wrong

are you a poofter?

Ah, so that's where you've been. I was beginning to worry.

But, what's this? Good grief, del, you're right. How presumptuous of me. America does indeed permit, often vulnerable, children to wed. My apologies.

Now, onto your second question. No, I'm sorry to disappoint you, del, but I'm not a sausage jockey. You'll have to look elsewhere for a new boyfriend.

there was only one question.

are you unable to count?

Could you stay with one person throughout your entire teen life? I know some people who have been with the same person since they were 13 years old and now they are 16, 17, and 18 years old and still with the same person. I just find it rather odd I guess, since I have a new girlfriend every month, but still, I mean, staying with one person for that long, that's quite a commitment. Could you ever stay with someone from the age of 13 through all of high school or even the rest of your life?

I am 30, I don't care about what I would do if I was 13.
I also know I can't stay with someone my entire life.

How have I not kept my word, del? Indeed, where did I bind myself to any promises on this thread?

And now it would seem that it's you who is making the assumptions. If you check, you'll notice that in the majority of American states, the normal age of marital consent, without judicial review or parental consent is sixteen. So I fail to see, aside from my admitted error, where I've been 'pulling facts out of my arse'.

Last edited:

Are they rednecks?

wrong

are you a poofter?

You obviously were never a scout. "Never do for a boy what a boy can do for himself" - Lord Robert Baden-Powell. Remember that my aunt and uncle were wed back in the 60's. Back then we had parents who had lived thru the great depression and World War II. Children were not coddled little delicate flowers. 8 year old boys learned how to hunt and 13 year old boys learned how to drive farm equipment to pull their weight in the family and to prepare them for when they would be on their own in a few years. No living in mom's basement and sucking off the teat of her insurance plan until the age of 26. People will rise to the expectations presented to them. Teach a kid responsibility and he will be responsible. Teach him to sit on the couch, eat Cheetos and play video games all day and.......well, you get the picture.

Could you stay with one person throughout your entire teen life? I know some people who have been with the same person since they were 13 years old and now they are 16, 17, and 18 years old and still with the same person. I just find it rather odd I guess, since I have a new girlfriend every month, but still, I mean, staying with one person for that long, that's quite a commitment. Could you ever stay with someone from the age of 13 through all of high school or even the rest of your life?

I am 30, I don't care about what I would do if I was 13.
I also know I can't stay with someone my entire life.

Baby, that's not what you said last night! :eusa_eh:

You obviously were never a scout. "Never do for a boy what a boy can do for himself" - Lord Robert Baden-Powell. Remember that my aunt and uncle were wed back in the 60's. Back then we had parents who had lived thru the great depression and World War II. Children were not coddled little delicate flowers. 8 year old boys learned how to hunt and 13 year old boys learned how to drive farm equipment to pull their weight in the family and to prepare them for when they would be on their own in a few years. No living in mom's basement and sucking off the teat of her insurance plan until the age of 26. People will rise to the expectations presented to them. Teach a kid responsibility and he will be responsible. Teach him to sit on the couch, eat Cheetos and play video games all day and.......well, you get the picture.

I was, and I went a step further by joining the army. But, as del's pointed out, I was wrong. And I also decided to view the situation in black and white; the period your aunt and uncle married was indeed a much more turbulent time than we're used to where family responsibilities were much more different.

Please accept my apologies for implying that your kin are hillbillies.

That said, and I don't know about you, but I find the official approval of marrying children rather worrying in this day and age. I mean, (hypothetically) would you allow your 14 year old daughter to marry an older man? I wouldn't.

Are they rednecks?

I have to agree with several posts - relax, play the field, "this too shall pass." Enjoy your youth while you have it. Today is yesterday's tomorrow.

Apparently I was not able to stay with someone for the rest of my life. "Forever" was a wish not fulfilled. But I'll tell you - these people who can stay together 50, 60, 70 years have my adoration.

I was, and I went a step further by joining the army. But, as del's pointed out, I was wrong. And I also decided to view the situation in black and white; the period your aunt and uncle married was indeed a much more turbulent time than we're used to where family responsibilities were much more different.

That said, and I don't know about you, but I find the official approval of marrying children rather worrying in this day and age. I mean, (hypothetically) would you allow your 14 year old daughter to marry an older man? I wouldn't.

That was allowed when I was growing up (MD/DC area). I remember a girl from school who came from a poor family with a lot of children. When she was 15 her father set up a marriage between her and a friend of his. I only saw her once briefly a few years after that and she looked thin and miserable.

In those days they didn't talk about child molesters in terms of teens and older men dating and marrying. If it was ok with your parents to go out with someone in his late 20's or even 30's, no one else thought much about it.

No I wouldn't.......because society today is far different. We've gone from teaching and expecting responsibility to being helicopter parents who hover over our children and our children suffer for it. My 17 year old son and a buddy of his got a job at the same place. His buddy got fired within two months because he thought he was entitled to a pay check whereas our son knew he had to work for it. The difference, our son had spent two summers prior to that staffing a scout camp and his buddy had everything handed to him on a silver platter. My son is expected to make good grades and he is a straight A honor student. He works 6 days a week to make his own truck payment, insurance payment and pay for gas. He has his own checking and savings account. He knows how to do his own laundry and how to cook for himself. If my wife and I were to get hit by a train tonight, I know he could survive and thrive on his own. His buddy, not so much. Even with all of my son's skills, do I want him to get married at 17? No. Would he be a good husband if he did? Yes.

No I wouldn't.......because society today is far different. We've gone from teaching and expecting responsibility to being helicopter parents who hover over our children and our children suffer for it. My 17 year old son and a buddy of his got a job at the same place. His buddy got fired within two months because he thought he was entitled to a pay check whereas our son knew he had to work for it. The difference, our son had spent two summers prior to that staffing a scout camp and his buddy had everything handed to him on a silver platter. My son is expected to make good grades and he is a straight A honor student. He works 6 days a week to make his own truck payment, insurance payment and pay for gas. He has his own checking and savings account. He knows how to do his own laundry and how to cook for himself. If my wife and I were to get hit by a train tonight, I know he could survive and thrive on his own. His buddy, not so much. Even with all of my son's skills, do I want him to get married at 17? No. Would he be a good husband if he did? Yes.

Both your attitude to parenting and your son's outlook on life are a commendable example to us all; and I agree with your views on "helicopter parenting" doing more damage than good in the long-run. Basically, I think we can both agree that children, especially young men, shouldn't be brought-up wrapped in cotton wool.

Forum List

Back