Could we have....

Status
Not open for further replies.
We used to have neg rep, and people cried about it. Then we had a disagree button, and people still cried. Now people just use "funny" as their neg button. Just give us our "disagree" back, USMB.

Why would people cry about a disagree button? Did it negate points?

Yeah -- it would subtract from your rep points. And it got weaponized by about 5% of the members who would send hourly blackmail messages to their victims telling them to expect more punishment. A newbie who was slow to win rep points would be at zero forever. It got cruel to watch and moderation had to put time limits on how often you could dock people.

It's a discussion board. Not Facebook. I wouldn't be opposed to negative repping if it was not made public. If you're here to discuss and your rep level is in the toilet -- it COULD be a valuable clue that you're wasting a large part of your life...
Or that you're a liberal?

We used to have neg rep, and people cried about it. Then we had a disagree button, and people still cried. Now people just use "funny" as their neg button. Just give us our "disagree" back, USMB.
Why have any buttons at all? We all have keyboards to say what we’re feeling.
I know, Candy, but it's so quick and easy to hit agree or thank you or even Winner, or funny. I like the response buttons. I give away more than I get.

I know, Candy, but it's so quick and easy to hit agree or thank you or even Winner, or funny. I like the response buttons. I give away more than I get.

How about some non-ambiguous selections perhaps? The OP is correct…. I do not pay close attention to what others think nor do I really care so when someone gives me a “funny”, I guess they either think what I wrote was funny or they are blissfully ignorant.

How about some non-ambiguous selections perhaps? The OP is correct…. I do not pay close attention to what others think nor do I really care so when someone gives me a “funny”, I guess they either think what I wrote was funny or they are blissfully ignorant.
I have no idea why when a poster suggests a thumbs down button, which happens every few months, the mods always go straight back to the draconian neg rep system. What is so hard about a thumbs down button that doesn't collect rating points? Maybe that's the problem, but I've never gotten a straight answer about it yet.

Another attempt to make your own definitions for words, Dog?

No, not at all.

Educate yourself instead of speaking from a position of ignorance. Try reading John Stuart Mill or John Rawls and learn to understand the principles of liberalism.

It isn't the lock step, authoritarian straightjacket you think it is.

Could we have a thumbs down rating?

Everybody seems to use the 'Funny' rating to show disapproval, but that isn't the right way.

People may think something is funny, but not agree with it.

We should have a thumbs down rating for disagreeing or disapproving, but it should not detract from anybody's ratings scores. A thumbs down could indicate something controversial - so it shouldn't be considered a negative.

Nothing stopping anyone from typing in ,I disagree or disapprove and then explaining why. :)

What is so hard about a thumbs down button that doesn't collect rating points? Maybe that's the problem, but I've never gotten a straight answer about it yet.

It looks like it's possible. From the documentation: "Make reactions positive, negative, or neutral reaction types or create a custom reaction type"

(well, I'm not sure they are using exactly that plugin, so maybe it's not possible with the software they are actually using, but it's possible with at least some reaction plugins for XenForo)

Another attempt to make your own definitions for words, Dog?

No, not at all.

Educate yourself instead of speaking from a position of ignorance. Try reading John Stuart Mill or John Rawls and learn to understand the principles of liberalism.

It isn't the lock step, authoritarian straightjacket you think it is.
I'm using the common connotation of the word and you and everyone else know what I meant.

I would bet that the people in this forum who identify as liberal (in the way OldLady does) are more fond of Rawls than the conservatives are :p

I would bet that the people in this forum who identify as liberal (in the way OldLady does) are more fond of Rawls than the conservatives are :p
Believe me, Son, John Rawls was not an advocate against the free expression of ideas , nor did he seek to punish people for their beliefs.

John Rawls was not an advocate against the free expression of ideas , nor did he seek to punish people for their beliefs.

Agreed, but this has little to do with what I said. Anyway, this is all off topic for this thread. I just happen to be somewhat fond of Rawls myself so I couldn't resist. I suspect that we have different perceptions of what "liberals" (again in the more common usage) tend to advocate, and I was thinking more about the difference principle.

I can bring up a thumbs down rating with the team, I think what is usually is problematic is the difficulty in getting Admin action and the fact that inevitably there will be those who will whine about its abuse.

I can bring up a thumbs down rating with the team, I think what is usually is problematic is the difficulty in getting Admin action and the fact that inevitably there will be those who will whine about its abuse.
How can it be abused if it doesn't involve subtracting rating points?

Why would people cry about a disagree button? Did it negate points?

Yeah -- it would subtract from your rep points. And it got weaponized by about 5% of the members who would send hourly blackmail messages to their victims telling them to expect more punishment. A newbie who was slow to win rep points would be at zero forever. It got cruel to watch and moderation had to put time limits on how often you could dock people.

It's a discussion board. Not Facebook. I wouldn't be opposed to negative repping if it was not made public. If you're here to discuss and your rep level is in the toilet -- it COULD be a valuable clue that you're wasting a large part of your life...
Or that you're a liberal?

Didn't think you noticed.. Not that it's got anything to do with I said. But -- if ya want to wrestle, I could "out-liberal" you on any number of topics. Most libertarians could now a'days. Want to discuss Civil Liberties in the Bull Ring darling?

How can it be abused if it doesn't involve subtracting rating points?

How is it useful to ADD points with rating buttons, but have the negative rating button subtract nothing? That sounds like pee wee league scoring in California. Might as well DISABLE the ratings and just give the members a teddy bear..

John Rawls was not an advocate against the free expression of ideas , nor did he seek to punish people for their beliefs.

Agreed, but this has little to do with what I said. Anyway, this is all off topic for this thread. I just happen to be somewhat fond of Rawls myself so I couldn't resist. I suspect that we have different perceptions of what "liberals" (again in the more common usage) tend to advocate, and I was thinking more about the difference principle.
The relevance lies in the way oldLady and other use the terms as identity with no understanding of the ideology they represent. They treat discussions in a Manichaean fashion as little more than a game of Cowboys and Indians. .. Oops, make that white oppressors vs brave Indiginies. They don't base an opinion on anything unique to them, but merely act as warriors for a tribe - the good tribe - as they war against the bad tribe. It is simply one group think battling another group think, and all based upon little more than a system of rewards/ punishment. They receive props from their peeps if they say one thing and are assigned to the evil tribe if they don't.

How this is germane to the discussion is related to the tribal nature involved in their basing views on nothing but the views of their tribe. Attacking the other tribe is integral to their simplistic political mind set, so anything they can use to damage the other tribe, they will.

The left has strayed far from liberalism as its guiding principle. Identity politics killed off actual liberalism as that liberalism is predicated upon universal principles applied to all, whereas identity politics is little more than systems of privilege based upon the ability to posit one's identity as a victim.

The multiculturalist sub current to liberal political theory may have begun with Rawls and others, being further distilled through the likes of Will Kymlicka, but it has morphed into a downright authoritarian monster that has become completely untethered from its liberal roots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Topics

Forum List

Back