Could Iraq EVER been a success?

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by Jennifer.Bush, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Jennifer.Bush

Jennifer.Bush Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27
    clearly, Iraq is a mess, and i don't think it will ever get better.
    But more importantly could iraq ever been great. Could we have sweep in
    and then 1 yr everything been great?

2. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,728
    Nobody in their right mind ever thought that we would have an instant gratification type of success in Iraq. If that is your criteria, then there is no point in responding.

3. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    I think that the historic reality of social trends indicate that the answer is yes.

Hell, look at the Kurds...

I think that Iraq would have been an easier pill to swallow had half of the US not ended up feeling like they had been bait and switched during a particularly emotional time after 9/11. Im not sure that "kill em all" strategies seem to work with indegenous populations even if the motivation is essentially noble.

I would do two things in order to polish the turd that is the Iraq war...

first, create a westernized city where iraqis who want western culture can go to in order to acclimate and advance their living situation. This keeps us from having to patrol areas that seem to be too porous to control AND creates a working example of the benefits of the west in one defendable location rather than frustrating the iraqis with limited basic resources.. Also, it would allow a secure location to train those who wouldotherwise be on board and seperate them from negative peer influence.

second, build a peace offering to muslims in the form of a place of worship where we can convey that we are not there for domination of their culture so much as there to help them preserve their culture without some angry dictator. This, and the created central location would be the "reward", so to speak, to those who have chosen to side with us and democracy and would give relevant exposure and experience to a working democracy and the benefits of modernization...

what do you think? feel free to call me crazy.

4. Jennifer.Bush

Jennifer.Bush Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27
    smh
    i never said that, what i'm saying is could the sectarian volence never happen? i mean of course there will be al-queda, but i never
    thought that iraqis themsleves would kill each other

5. Jennifer.Bush

Jennifer.Bush Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27
    i really disagree with your second part, we have do enoughdone.
    We try not to shoot/destroy mosque even though our troops are being shot at from mosque
    i mean if that is not a peace offereing then what is?

6. boedicca

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,728
    It's very difficult to succeed in any war when the Loyal Opposition declares the effort is a quagmire from the get go, and then makes pronouncements such as these throughout:

The war in Iraq "is lost" and a US troop surge is failing to bring peace to the country, the leader of the Democratic majority in the US Congress, Harry Reid, said Thursday.

"I believe ... that this war is lost, and this surge is not accomplishing anything, as is shown by the extreme violence in Iraq this week," Reid said, on the same day US President George W. Bush was giving a speech at an Ohio town hall meeting defending the war on terror.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=070419174958.d2ni8f1d&show_article=1

7. Jennifer.Bush

Jennifer.Bush Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27
    well there will always be people against wars

8. boedicca

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,728
    Being against a war is not the same as actively undermining the country's ability to be successful once the decision has been made. Congress approved this war. Reid's comments are shameful.

9. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    it is a matter of redirecting the motivations of those who we are there to help...

perspective is a bitch if peace is what you desire.... obviously there are many in iraq who dont see the benevolence of what you speak when they disagree with our presence in the first place. strategy doesnt always have to be about killing off those that dont agree with you.

im no christian but.. uh.. what did jesus say about the other cheak?

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I think that Iraq has the possibility of success, still. However, I never thought it would be in a year and always thought the coalition would have to find a way to neutralize/minimize the differences between the 3 areas. How could you have not? More importantly, how could the administration have taken so long to respond to the inevitable?