Could aliens look like us?

None of the processes listed above can be performed under water.

These processes are easily carried out under water in a sealed container :)

How is a creature living underwater going to produce electricity?

skat1[1].jpg

Definitely agree PredFan. Of course, the article doesn't pertain to aliens visiting earth, but if they did, they would probably be similar to us.

What exists on their planet could be anything.

But a higher life form that develops an advanced brain, and the ability to manipulate its environment, has to give up some of the other survival aspects it may have, due to the limited resources available to natural selection. So the smarter and more advanced a being gets, the more vulnerable it becomes physically.

Then, other factors come into play to protect that being in it's vulnerable state. Like having at least 2 eyes for 3 dimensional vision (more than 2 eyes is a waste of resources that are necessary to develop the brain). 2 ears for 3d hearing (more than 2 ears is a waste of resources for same reason). Appendages that can manipulate the environment and use tools (again, more than 2 is a waste of resources). And a means of locomotion (more than 2 legs is a waste of resources). Furthermore, the eyes, ears, and nose should be held higher than the body to help detect predators from a distance. And since those senses require super fast brain access, the brain should be located close to the eyes, ears, and nose.

Pretty soon, we start to get close to the description of a humanoid type body to describe an organism that is able to evolve a high intelligence and dexterity to manipulate its environment, using the slow and logical process of natural selection as opposed to creation.

Because "creation" could create anything with unlimited resources. But natural selection has to work with what it has, and only very gradually increase resources as it evolves.

Part of what you say is accurate. But that does not mean that aliens would look anything like us. Plus, it does not take their natural environment into account.

2 eyes is the most efficient, giving depth perception without wasting resources. But where are the eyes on the body? On retractable stalks? High on the body? Or lower on the body. If the atmosphere on their planet is dense and prone to fog, having eyes lower would be an advantage in that they could see where they are going.

2 ears is efficient as well. But placement is also a question. Having them be moveable is a big advantage.

As for appendages, this is where I think you are wrong. Depending on the environment in which they developed, more than 2 arms could be an advantage. Did they climb or move around in an arboreal setting? Having arms to swing from while still having arms to manipulate their environs would be advantageous.

And depending on their original environment, having more than 2 legs could be an advantage. Think open plains. 4 legs allows for greater speed and an ability to traverse a greater variety of terrain types.

'Two eyes are the most efficient'?

Consider spiders. They have multiple eyes but you can easily tell which ones hunt and which ones build webs to catch their prey. The hunters, like jumping spiders, have two huge eyes and other, secondary eyes. The web builders are pretty blind but can feel the tiniest noodge to their web.

So, it could depend on how they 'earn a living', as my father used to call it.

Another thought - Carl Sagan used to describe a possible problem with us finding or seeing alien life forms is very much like the ant colony next to the swimming pool.

All that splashing and screeching by kids on a Saturday afternoon would be hard to miss but would the ants be aware of it? Probably not. That's what we could be up against - such an enormous difference that we might miss them them completely and vice versa.

I agree about the original environment. Surely that would be the biggest variable. We've evolved our two legs and two arms, toes, fingers and so on because that's what our environment required.

I have to disagree with the OP. I cannot imagine how an alien life form would be anything at all like us. Unless, of course, we have a sister planet with the same atmosphere, same gravity, same beginning and same life time our planet has had. And, how likely is that?

A planet that didn't have liquid water, dry land and gravity within a moderate percentage of Earth's is not likely to have intelligent life. Is that likely? No, not at all, but there are 400 billion suns in our galaxy. If 0.0001 percent of them have intelligent life, that's a whole lot of intelligent species in the galaxy. However, it may be one million times less likely than that. It may be that there are no other intelligent species in the galaxy.

There's nothing 'special' about our particular shape. There's plenty of 'intelligence' to be seen in dogs, dolphins and birds, and any one of these could, given the right circumstances, and a few million years, be as capable as we are, of raping the planet.
We just got there first.
So the 'aliens' are as likely to look like an octopus, but probably something we would struggle to believe.

Yes but there are special traits that make us unique. Up right 2 leg poster and our thumbs.

Even if dogs developed intelligence beyond humans, they don’t have the body structure to build machines and great cities.

The only animal currently that could be a threat to take over the planet are apes and monkeys.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com
Well you are neither or either because if you were,that would be Insulting to Apes and Monkeys

What Price Peace and Prosperity for All...........Alien Rule??

I don't know if they would look like us, but one thing that I am certain of is, if any extraterrestrial life has the intellegence to get here, they will not put up with our primitive behavior and odd superstions..They may however, offer to save us from our selves

Scenario: We are contacted by an alien life form-far more wise and advanced than we- and offered the chance to achieve universal peace and prosperity, if we agree to a few conditions. This is not in the form of a threat. If we decline, they will go on their way and we will be left as we are and they will not give us another chance for 10,000 years. At the same time, if we accept, we will be bound by their conditions for 10,000 years, enough time for us to evolve into a peaceful species. If asked to, they would leave sooner but there would be consequences- We will suddenly be left once again to our own devices and chaos will surly prevail.

The conditions:

1. Religious expression, prayer, and instruction will be allowed in private homes, and places of worship only. Public meetings will no longer be opened with a prayer for any faith and witnesses will no longer sware on a holy book in court. Govenment officials will be sworn in on the constitution and pledge to uphold it as the highest law of the land.

Proselytizing in public, lobying politicians or in anyway trying to influance the government to adopt an agenda based on religious doctrine is prohibited. Any proposed legislation, and all court decisions must clearly state a secular purpose and rational. Separation of church and state- from the United States to Saudi Arabia and other theocraces will be absolute.

Tax exemptions for religious institutions will be strictly limited to money spent on charitable causes. Preaching and teaching mythology is not charitable work.

Any individual, religious institution found to be in violation of these standards will be required to take a medication that the aliens developed that will eradicate all thought of religion and clens the mind of such primitime thought patterns. If an entire sec is found guilty of multiple violations their houses of worship will become centers for performing arts, or museums funded by the government. Some will be converted to housing.

2.All weapons of all kind must be destroyed. Militaries will be for use in natural disaster types of emergencies only.

3.Hording of wealth is strictly prohibited. Everyone need not be equal in this respect and there will still be private property, but disparity will be very limited

4.Capitalism will be allowed, but business will be strictly regulated to ensure that people are put before profit, and that the environment is protected.

5.All forms of discrimination against any group for any reason will be strictly prohibited.

6.Necessities of life-food, shelter, medicine and clothing-will be recognized as universal human rights and will not be rationed based on a person’s ability to pay.

7.Nations will retain their autonomy, culture and language but be must be organized into a federation of cooperative states who share all natural resources. National leaders will be selected by direct elections in all countries but the Supreme Council of Extra Planetary rulers will have the power to impeach and remove from office, anyone who violates or undermines any of these conditions. Strict term limits will be established and two members of the same family cannot hold high office within 20 years of one another.

8.All creatures of the earth and the earth herself will be treated with respect and care. The systematic destruction of the planet and it’s life forms in the name of profit, power or sport will end.

9.Capital punishment and most prison terms will be abolished worldwide. Minor offenses will be treated as behavioral health and educational issues with the emphasis on rehabilitation. Serious crimes such as violent offenses and white collar theft will be dealt with as described in # 10 below.

10.While these aliens will be inconspicuous in our daily lives-they may even live among us in human form- they will be vigilant, and take action when needed. Anyone not complying with these conditions-or who commits a serious crime- will be banished to a distant war like planet where many live under Spartan conditions and subject to a small wealthy ruling class( which they will not be part of) and the rule is survival of the fittest-in other words, much like earth is now, but much, much worse

Why do you imagine that aliens are leftwingers?

I have you on ignore because you are an annoying troll, but that is a almost reasonable question. Any civilization that is technologically advances enough to visit us is also likely to be advanced socially, morally ,intellectually and philosophically unlike the knuckle draggers who identify as conservative here and now. A reactionary civilization that the likes of you promote is destined for failure and will not survive long enough to develop the ability to explore other worlds.
It's funny that you call me a troll and then post the manure above.

There's nothing "advanced" about liberalism unless you believe totalitarianism is "advanced," because that is where liberalism is taking us. A leftwing society may be able to explore other worlds, but it's also able to kill millions of people and turn the rest into slaves. If being leftwing truly is required for space travel, then we should immediately attack any aliens who land here.

The real reason you have me on "ignore" is the fact that you are a coward who can't stand strong criticism.

THIS sort of tripe is exactly why I call you a troll

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In other words, anyone who is good at disputing your tripe is a troll.

You are a coward. End of story.
Run along now little boy

Why do you imagine that aliens are leftwingers?

I have you on ignore because you are an annoying troll, but that is a almost reasonable question. Any civilization that is technologically advances enough to visit us is also likely to be advanced socially, morally ,intellectually and philosophically unlike the knuckle draggers who identify as conservative here and now. A reactionary civilization that the likes of you promote is destined for failure and will not survive long enough to develop the ability to explore other worlds.
It's funny that you call me a troll and then post the manure above.

There's nothing "advanced" about liberalism unless you believe totalitarianism is "advanced," because that is where liberalism is taking us. A leftwing society may be able to explore other worlds, but it's also able to kill millions of people and turn the rest into slaves. If being leftwing truly is required for space travel, then we should immediately attack any aliens who land here.

The real reason you have me on "ignore" is the fact that you are a coward who can't stand strong criticism.

THIS sort of tripe is exactly why I call you a troll

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In other words, anyone who is good at disputing your tripe is a troll.

You are a coward. End of story.
Run along now little boy

Listen to the turd who cries like a little baby whenever I post to him.

iu

Also, why are you requiring any aliens to have developed on dry land?
Aliens could develop anywhere. The question is what are some prerequisites for an alien to build a spaceship?

Aliens living on a water world have to be able to smelt the metals and forge them into shapes to make the electronics and parts necessary for a spaceship. If we assume that they didn't somehow develop anti-gravity propulsion first, then they needed trial and error when developing that technology. It does require shaping metals to withstand the tremendous forces and heat of exiting and re-entering their planet. Without anti-gravity, those initial spaceships need to be very strong, most likely requiring metals. Later on, if they develop anti-gravity, the ships could be composed of anything that allows them to survive in space and not worry about melting during liftoff or re-entry. But the initial ships, almost certainly have to be composed of metal. Forging metal under water is extremely hard without having prior technology, since water will absorb the heat from the source so much, that all the water around the area is boiling. So an alien can't simply work around an 800-1200 degree heat source under water without first making the technology that can withstand those temperatures.

On land, the process is a lot easier, since the air won't absorb the heat from the source as much, while still allowing the metal to be hot enough to shape. And also, obviously, fire can be used on land, which isn't possible under water.

So an alien race that is able to make a spaceship that can travel to other planets, is probably a land-dwelling species (or was), and has to have certain physical traits to create that spaceship. A humanoid shape is very likely to evolve due to natural selection with limited resources, in a being capable of building a spaceship. It's a very good combination of the minimization and maximization of genetic resources via natural selection, to produce a being that is intelligent enough, and that can also build a spaceship.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back