Could Alabama beat the Browns?

If I recall correctly, didn't the Super Bowl champions play an exhibition game against a team of college football all stars back in the day?
How badly did the college all stars lose?

They beat the Green Bay Packers in 1963 I think. The college all stars won a few games .

I cant comment on something that happened long before I was born. I just know it would never happen today.

Back peddling.

What a funny sound that makes.
Cant be be back pedaling. There is definitely no way Alabama would beat the Browns. I stick by that. :rolleyes:

It's a serious question.

When you watch the Browns you think they should be playing college ball and when you watch Alabama it's like watching an NFL team play college teams.

Wouldn't it be fun to watch the worst NFL team play the best college team?

Shhhhuzzz... Don't give away the evil design of Alabama football..

I'm sitting here trying to decide which is more evil, Nick Satan who seems to fix every season since 1920 or the front office of teams like the Browns that focus on losing for the last 100 years.

Tuff call.

The gap in strength, athleticism, speed, and execution in pro sports and college sports is like asking a 3rd grade basketball team to play a high school varsity team.

Really? That must be why the NFL is recruiting college sophomores and STARTING them the next year.
Because they are so "underdeveloped".

What the NFL gives them is PROFESSIONALISM. Not prowess. And TONS of cash incentives.

Put a big pool of $Mills on a college match-up for the college players and watch all that "professional advantage" fade away..

The gap in strength, athleticism, speed, and execution in pro sports and college sports is like asking a 3rd grade basketball team to play a high school varsity team.

Really? That must be why the NFL is recruiting college sophomores and STARTING them the next year.

What the NFL gives them is PROFESSIONALISM. Not prowess. And TONS of cash incentives.

Put a big pool of $Mills on a college match-up for the college players and watch all that "professional advantage" fade away..
The NBA recruited high school kids. That doesnt mean a team full of high schoolers could beat any NBA team.

If I recall correctly, didn't the Super Bowl champions play an exhibition game against a team of college football all stars back in the day?

They beat the Green Bay Packers in 1963 I think. The college all stars won a few games .

I cant comment on something that happened long before I was born. I just know it would never happen today.

Back peddling.

Cant be be back pedaling. There is definitely no way Alabama would beat the Browns. I stick by that. :rolleyes:

Nope, going backwards is definitely funnier.

Back peddling.

Nope, going backwards is definitely funnier.

Then dont go backwards. Stick with your claim no matter how wrong it is. There is no way Alabama would beat the Browns. :rolleyes:

The NBA recruited high school kids. That doesnt mean a team full of high schoolers could beat any NBA team.

Thats true. But in the case of Alabama, if you took that team INTACT into the NFL -- it would be a contender by it's 2nd season. It's a special case dude. Not talking generalities. They'd wear an inferior team down by the 3rd quarter.

Thats true. But in the case of Alabama, if you took that team INTACT into the NFL -- it would be a contender by it's 2nd season. It's a special case dude. Not talking generalities. They'd wear an inferior team down by the 3rd quarter.
Not really. Most of the Alabama team wont even make the pros as bench warmers. Its not a special case. You just havent seen them compared to a team with NFL talent.

Not really. Most of the Alabama team wont even make the pros as bench warmers. Its not a special case. You just havent seen them compared to a team with NFL talent.

Such is the divide between you and I. This goes deeper than "who's on the bench". Winning in sports is the rare exception to "zero sum" thinking. In sports, the talent pool IS a zero sum game. And teams are built from the same "pie"... But WINNING -- is more about planning, design, and teamwork. And how you design around the "soft spots".. And in the case of the NFL -- the salary caps and the draft rules..

Such is the divide between you and I. This goes deeper than "who's on the bench". Winning in sports is the rare exception to "zero sum" thinking. In sports, the talent pool IS a zero sum game. And teams are built from the same "pie"... But WINNING -- is more about planning, design, and teamwork. And how you design around the "soft spots".. And in the case of the NFL -- the salary caps and the draft rules..
Talent ultimately wins in every pro sport. The only variable is how hard you work to impose your will all things being equal. Thats why no matter how hard a person works they wont ever be drafted to be a running back in the NFL if they dont have talent. Consider this. Alabama will maybe have 10 players drafted with maybe 3-4 actually playing prominent roles on a NFL team. Note I didnt say a winning NFL team.

It's a serious question.

When you watch the Browns you think they should be playing college ball and when you watch Alabama it's like watching an NFL team play college teams.

I don't think the Browns are the worst team in the NFL this year. :)

I would say that it's unlikely any college team would beat an NFL team. There are some factors involved that could make it lean more one way or another: are they using NFL rules, college rules, or some combination? Are the players on both sides taking it seriously? Are the rosters healthy?

As others have pointed out, even the worst NFL teams tend to be made up of the best college players (or at least, the best college players from the well-known schools). Alabama is unlikely to have more than a few players that are deemed good enough to be NFL starters, and it's virtually certain that the entire Alabama team will not make it to the pros even as backups or practice squad players. There's always "any given Sunday," even in a scenario like this, but at least 9 out of 10 times I'd expect the NFL team to win.

It's possible that some of the truly horrible NFL teams have been so demoralized by their lack of competitiveness that the psychological factors would outweigh the talent involved and allow Alabama to beat them, though. However physically gifted they may be, these athletes are still people. If they lose their confidence in their coaching staff, their teammates, themselves, they become beatable even by teams that ought not be able to do so.

It's a serious question.

A pee-wee league football team could beat the Browns...

Forum List

Back