Could al-Qaeda possibly have found a better publicist than President Bush?

DeadCanDance

May 29, 2007
Sometimes one runs across an editorial, and you just have to nod your head and say "Yep. Spot on." I can't add anything else. This is exactly right.:

Like any terrorist organization, al-Qaeda wants attention. It wants to be perceived as powerful. And it particularly wants Americans to live in fear.

At a South Carolina Air Force base yesterday, Bush mentioned al-Qaeda and bin Laden 118 times in 29 minutes, arguing that the violence unleashed by the U.S. invasion in Iraq would somehow come to America's shores if U.S. troops were to withdraw.

But the majority of that violence in Iraq is caused either by Iraqis murdering each other for religious reasons or by Iraqis trying to throw off the American occupation. The group that calls itself al-Qaeda in Iraq is only one of a multitude of factions creating chaos in that country, and the long-term goals of its Iraqi members are almost certainly not in line with those of al-Qaeda HQ (which is safely ensconced in Pakistan).

Furthermore, the administration's own intelligence community has concluded that the war in Iraq has helped rather than hurt al-Qaeda.

What effect would a U.S. withdrawal from Iraq really have on al-Qaeda? Is it true that "surrendering the future of Iraq to al Qaida would be a disaster for our country," as Bush admonished yesterday?

Bush's predictions about the region have been uniformly abysmal, so the opposite may be at least as likely. And in that scenario, a U.S. troop withdrawal would rob al-Qaeda of its greatest recruiting tool. It would also free American and Iraqi fighters to hunt down bin Laden and his fellow vermin wherever they are and give them what they deserve -- which is not publicity, but ignominy and extinction.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/blog/2007/07/25/BL2007072501313_pf.html

so is your point that before bush al queda was a peaceful group

Hell, the Liberal's think that before President Bush AQ used to gather around a campfire and sing Kumbya. In reality they would run around shooting gun's in the air, bomb embassies and US Naval Vessals off the coast of Eqypt.

Darfur has been overlooked for years, its not going away.

Maybe we should have taken care of smaller things like that before we invaded?

Darfur has been overlooked for years, its not going away.

Maybe we should have taken care of smaller things like that before we invaded?

There are many should have's but the thing is we didn't. We need to focus on the situation at hand and the tings we need to take care of like Iran and Pakistan.

Try again?

ok 2003.

Im not talking about the second civil war, Im talking about the recent conflict between the militia and different rebel groups. Mostly muslims. What are you referring to?

so your calim is before 2003 the western province was at peace?

No, the point is if we all just ignore them they will go away.

If you're not even going to read the post, you really shouldn't respond"

What effect would a U.S. withdrawal from Iraq really have on al-Qaeda? Is it true that "surrendering the future of Iraq to al Qaida would be a disaster for our country," as Bush admonished yesterday?

Bush's predictions about the region have been uniformly abysmal, so the opposite may be at least as likely. And in that scenario, a U.S. troop withdrawal would rob al-Qaeda of its greatest recruiting tool. It would also free American and Iraqi fighters to hunt down bin Laden and his fellow vermin wherever they are and give them what they deserve -- which is not publicity, but ignominy and extinction.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...501313_pf.html
Edit/Delete Message

the only person who's been ignoring al qaeda, is your president. He let bin laden escape from tora bora, he called off a Navy Seal team from going into pakistan to kill Zawahiri, and he let al qaeda establish a safe haven on the pakistani border. And he diverted our military to go baby sit a shia-sunni civil war in Iraq.

If you're not even going to read the post, you really shouldn't respond"

the only person who's been ignoring al qaeda, is your president. He let bin laden escape from tora bora, he called off a Navy Seal team from going into pakistan to kill Zawahiri, and he let al qaeda establish a safe haven on the pakistani border. And he diverted our military to go baby sit a shia-sunni civil war in Iraq.

if you are american he is your president...

read the article...why are writers, failed cia handlers and professors to be believed...

so your calim is before 2003 the western province was at peace?

At peace? Nobody is ever at peace. That is not my claim. My claim is that the "darfur conflict" as we know it today begin in 2003. There was still mild violence as there is in any country, but I can assure you that there was not a reported 400,000 deaths before the conflict began.

At peace? Nobody is ever at peace. That is not my claim. My claim is that the "darfur conflict" as we know it today begin in 2003. There was still mild violence as there is in any country, but I can assure you that there was not a reported 400,000 deaths before the conflict began.

you may want to go do some reading.....

Forum List

Back