Could a writer, such as Kafka, be regarded as a philosopher?

Is there a formal designation "philosopher" and any baseline requirements?

A significant number of western philosophers consider Ayn Rand fails the test. However, when it comes to widespread influence (in the real world if I may use a contentious phrase) she’s been profoundly effective, even to those of us who find her writing muddle-headed to say the least. What’s interesting are the number of academics who pretend she doesn’t even exist, such as the The Cambridge Dictionary of Philosophy.

Kafka? Hm, a borderline case.

Have you read him?
Yes.

I've read one Ayn Rand. The Virtue of Selfishness. I knew what she meant.

I’ve read all of her works many times and have a complete collection of The Objectivist Newsletter. It’s never difficult to know what Rand meant, she wrote with great clarity.
Such clarity academic philosophers turn their noses up at her and pretend she never existed. However, apart from her brilliant epistemology, I desagree with her economoc and political philosphy totally.[/QUOTE]

Kafka was no philosopher, but he made a silent point in one of his stories. Glaringly obvious; to me.

That you cannot sit and gaze on the sunset while philosophising, if you are poor and starving, and craving (in his case) potatoes.

When you are hungry, all you focus on is food, and of any kind! Your whole mind is filled with it.

I was watching The Vietnam War on PBS yesterday, and the testimony of former American POW's describing their being reduced to eating the camp commandment's cat, even the paws, knowing full well what the consequences would be. And there were!

But my point is, one must be economically viable to pontificate on.....whatever.

A significant number of western philosophers consider Ayn Rand fails the test. However, when it comes to widespread influence (in the real world if I may use a contentious phrase) she’s been profoundly effective, even to those of us who find her writing muddle-headed to say the least. What’s interesting are the number of academic tomes who pretend she doesn’t even exist, such as the The Cambridge Dictionary of Philosophy.

i like Kafka

RE: Could a writer, such as Kafka, be regarded as a philosopher?
SUBTOPIC: What is the criteria for the designation: "Philosopher"
※→. Karl Rand, Zebra, et al,

i like Kafka
(COMMENT)

While Dr Franz Kafka could, on occasion, spout some (quite) noteworthy comments and make presentations of rather brilliant observations, it is my opinion (such that it is) that Dr Kafka's true skill is found in his contributions to literature. Dr Kafka was not truly involved in the logical empiricism movement within the philosophical community of his day (a century ago). Nor did Dr Kafka make any endearing contributions in either any significant discovery through the extended and reasoned process or the separate and distinct deductive and inductive reasoning processes.

There are no specific credentials to bestow the title of philosopher. It is all about the contributions the individual makes that, in time, become essential to the scientific and academic communities.

Most Respectfully,
R

A significant number of western philosophers consider Ayn Rand fails the test. However, when it comes to widespread influence (in the real world if I may use a contentious phrase) she’s been profoundly effective, even to those of us who find her writing muddle-headed to say the least. What’s interesting are the number of academic tomes who pretend she doesn’t even exist, such as the The Cambridge Dictionary of Philosophy.

Your two comments suggest you don't really believe what you say. How can Kafka, popular for over 100 years, be borderline and then you say Rand is ignored !! She is well-known and her writings show her to NOT be a philosopher, that is the difference.

Your two comments suggest you don't really believe what you say. How can Kafka, popular for over 100 years, be borderline and then you say Rand is ignored !! She is well-known and her writings show her to NOT be a philosopher, that is the difference.

Kafka will be forever a problem for many people. He is one of the last free German Jews before Hitler came and one of the last free Bohemians before Stalin came. Both - the Jews and the Bohemians - had been victims of a genocide. Most Jews had been murdered and/or had to flee, most Bohemians had been displaced and/or had been murdered. He's a last Mohican.

Forum List

Back