Cot vs. Caught

xotoxi

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2009
Yuurmaam
Are COT and CAUGHT pronounced the same or differently?

And...where are you from (i.e. where were you raised when you learned to speak English)?

Cot and Caught are pronounced the same.

Central Illinois.

Creek and Crick are one and the same. Around here its Crick.

The one that annoys me is "Sodie Pop" just say Soda ya D-bag! :lol:

Cot and caught - different.

How do you pronounce water? Wudder, wahter? Many around here (suburbs of Philly) say wudder. I used to but it has changed over the years and I say it with less of a 'local' accent now.

How do you pronounce water? Wudder, wahter? Many around here (suburbs of Philly) say wudder. I used to but it has changed over the years and I say it with less of a 'local' accent now.

Ohhh - and "wash" vs. "warsh". That one bugs me.

'You guys' is another colloquialism that I use frequently. Means kind of the same as you all -- or is that ya'll? lol

Ohhh - and "wash" vs. "warsh". That one bugs me.

My brother says 'Warshington'. Where he got that from I have no idea.

How about towel? I usually say 'tal' (don't pronounce the W).

Cot = Caught
Daughter = Dotter
Tot = Taught

New England

I know someone from Wisconsin that was visiting Boston at the 4th of July. A Bostonian asked them "Do you have any cards?"

The person from Wisconsin thought they said "Do you have any cods?"

So, essentially, someone from New England says the word "card" the same as someone from the midwest says the word "cod".

Cot = Caught
Daughter = Dotter
Tot = Taught

New England

I know someone from Wisconsin that was visiting Boston at the 4th of July. A Bostonian asked them "Do you have any cards?"

So, essentially, someone from New England says the word "card" the same as someone from the midwest says the word "cod".

y'all talk funny :D

I have a cousin by marriage from Boston - the family he married into were originally from MI ... then moved to TX. Bet their kids have the goofiest accents ... :eusa_whistle:

Cot = Caught
Daughter = Dotter
Tot = Taught

New England

y'all talk funny :D

I have a cousin by marriage from Boston - the family he married into were originally from MI ... then moved to TX. Bet their kids have the goofiest accents ... :eusa_whistle:

:lol: I wanna go to one of those family reunions.

Id just sit and laugh

Forum List

Back