Costas to honor murdered Israeli athletes

Trajan

conscientia mille testes
Jun 17, 2010
The Bay Area Soviet
:clap2:

July 20, 2012, 12:02 p.m. ET

A Newsman's Olympic Stand

What are the Olympics for? Awesome displays of physical ability, mainly, but with a heavy helping of politics—from mere kumbaya globalism to notorious whitewashes of Nazism and Communism. On rare occasion, though, the Games inspire displays of sound political judgment. This year's first medalist in that category is television anchor Bob Costas.

The NBC veteran has revealed that his broadcast of the July 27 opening ceremony will include a minute of silence for the 11 Israeli Olympians murdered by Palestinian terrorists at the Munich Games 40 years ago—a minute of silence that the International Olympic Committee has refused to arrange on its own. Mr. Costas explained to Hollywood Reporter magazine: "I intend to note that the IOC denied the request. Many people find that denial more than puzzling but insensitive." So he'll tell viewers "here's a minute of silence right now." Judging from the 2008 ceremony, 35 million Americans could be watching.

Mr. Costas is hardly alone in finding the Munich killings worthy of commemoration. Others who have spoken up include President Barack Obama ("absolutely," the White House said Thursday), all U.S. senators, every Australian and Canadian parliamentarian, Germany's foreign minister and some 100,000 online petitioners. But none has shaken the IOC from its decades-long refusal—and none has Mr. Costas's opportunity to impose an unofficial but almost uniquely high-profile minute of silence.

more at-

A Newsman's Olympic Stand - WSJ.com

*uck the IOC, another euro trash corrupt organization. :lol:

Watch the Canucks. If we get to own the podium watch what will happen. i guarantee you it will be moment worth waiting for.

This bastard not allowing a one minute silence shows what he is. I remember that day clear as bell.

We need to make NOISE about the unwillingness of the fucking IOC to observe a moment of silence.

WTF?

Are they afraid of offending those nice folks who insist that the "Zionist State" must be eradicated?

What are the Olympics for? Awesome displays of physical ability, mainly, but with a heavy helping of politics—from mere kumbaya globalism to notorious whitewashes of Nazism and Communism. On rare occasion, though, the Games inspire displays of sound political judgment. This year's first medalist in that category is television anchor Bob Costas.

The NBC veteran has revealed that his broadcast of the July 27 opening ceremony will include a minute of silence for the 11 Israeli Olympians murdered by Palestinian terrorists at the Munich Games 40 years ago—a minute of silence that the International Olympic Committee has refused to arrange on its own. Mr. Costas explained to Hollywood Reporter magazine: "I intend to note that the IOC denied the request. Many people find that denial more than puzzling but insensitive." So he'll tell viewers "here's a minute of silence right now." Judging from the 2008 ceremony, 35 million Americans could be watching.

Mr. Costas is hardly alone in finding the Munich killings worthy of commemoration. Others who have spoken up include President Barack Obama ("absolutely," the White House said Thursday), all U.S. senators, every Australian and Canadian parliamentarian, Germany's foreign minister and some 100,000 online petitioners. But none has shaken the IOC from its decades-long refusal—and none has Mr. Costas's opportunity to impose an unofficial but almost uniquely high-profile minute of silence.

more at-

Nothing new here.....I read about the American head of the Olympics at the time, Avery Brundage......same behavior.

Some people are more equal than others.....

We need to make NOISE about the unwillingness of the fucking IOC to observe a moment of silence.

WTF?

Are they afraid of offending those nice folks who insist that the "Zionist State" must be eradicated?

The IOC is afraid of offending the Iranian uranium centrifuge team, the Syrian chemical and biological weapons team, and the North Korean missile launching team. :mad:

more at-

Nothing new here.....I read about the American head of the Olympics at the time, Avery Brundage......same behavior.

Some people are more equal than others.....

Brundage believed he was the Olympics.

Remembering what Palestinian animals did 40 years ago.

Bob Costas plans to honor Israelis killed in Munich - News | FOX Sports on MSN

NEW YORK (AP)

NBC Sports anchor Bob Costas says he plans his own on-air commemoration this week of the Israelis killed in Munich 40 years ago despite the refusal of Olympic authorities to do so during Friday's opening ceremony for the London Games. :clap2:

Remembering Munich

A bid to honor the athletes and coaches killed by Palestinian gunmen during the 1972 games with a moment of silence has gained momentum recently, even drawing President Barack Obama's support. Costas, who called the International Olympic Committee's decision baffling, told the Hollywood Reporter that he intends to note that denial on Friday when Israeli athletes enter the Olympic Stadium. Costas has been the lead host of NBC's Olympics coverage for 20 years.

''Many people find that denial more than puzzling but insensitive,'' Costas said. ''Here's a minute of silence right now.'' Through a spokesman, Costas denied a request by The Associated Press to speak further about his plans. His comments to the Hollywood Reporter were made more than a month ago and published late last week, and NBC noted that things can change in the interim.

''Our production plans for Opening Ceremony are still being finalized and Bob is part of that planning,'' said NBC Sports Group spokesman Adam Freifeld.

Last edited:
I wonder if he is going to mention that it happened because Israel occupied Palestine.

I didn't think so. It is just a propaganda gig.

If Israel wants a minutes silence, when they win a Gold medal instead of playing their National anthem let them request silence instead

There are any number of atrocities from the past which could be brought up/remembered in London.

I wonder who is behind Costas?

I'd rather see a "moment of silence" for the THOUSANDS being murdered everyday in the name of G-d.

As in "G-d gave us this land."

HUH??? "Israel occupied Palestine." Tell us more about this land theft. When did that happen? When did Israel's ancient land become this "Palestinian" land that you claim "Israel occupied"?

I wonder if he is going to mention that it happened because Israel occupied Palestine.

I didn't think so. It is just a propaganda gig.

I support a moment of silence for the '72 Israeli Olympic athletes. The athletes had nothing to do with the politics of the affair. They were to compete in sports. The athletes of all countries came together during that time and it is because of their harmony the games were allowed to continue. It's a shame that the Games are a venue for politics. It wasn't meant to be that way. The original Olympic games were a time-out from war between nations. Hitler used the Games to promote Nazism and the Islamists used them in '72 to show the world their true colors. Look at the preparations London is making to thwart possible Islamic terrorism. Peaceful religion??? If there are terrorist acts during the Games, may the IAF give Teheran "Lasting Peace."

There are any number of atrocities from the past which could be brought up/remembered in London.

I wonder who is behind Costas?

I'd rather see a "moment of silence" for the THOUSANDS being murdered everyday in the name of G-d.

As in "G-d gave us this land."
American people are behind Costas.

Forum List

Back