Cost of teaching adult illegals english.

LilOlLady

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2009
Reno, NV
Weren't you complaining that 'they' don't learn English and such?

Funny how the headline says "illegal immigrants" but inside the blurb just mentions "adult immigrants."

I'm all for English education, as it unifies a nation and maintains safety for the millions who pass immigrants on the roadways. But the straw man is set up by claiming "illegals" then switching the numbers showing legal immigrant costs. Most legal immigrants contribute substantially to their communities (most doctors I see are immigrants for example.)

Funny how the headline says "illegal immigrants" but inside the blurb just mentions "adult immigrants."

I'm all for English education, as it unifies a nation and maintains safety for the millions who pass immigrants on the roadways. But the straw man is set up by claiming "illegals" then switching the numbers showing legal immigrant costs. Most legal immigrants contribute substantially to their communities (most doctors I see are immigrants for example.)

I am all for them learning English as well.... on their own dime. I am sick of my tax dollars supporting immigrants...legal or otherwise.

And if your doctor is an immigrant... i am very sure they already know how to speak.. and even better understand English. :thup:.

The 'free' ESL classes generally suck anyway. An awful lot of immigrants, legal and not, go to great lengths to pay for and attend ESL classes, often working an extra job and sleeping very little to afford and attend. They recognize the value of learning the language better while here. In many cases there is an obvious and direct relationship between their English skills and their earning power, so the motivation is high.

Adults???

I've got high school students that don't know English.

When I was in High school we had a whole class of students from different countries, Colombia, Bosnia, Serbia etc that didn't speak English that good, they kept them in the same classroom for most of the time.

Adults???

When I was in High school we had a whole class of students from different countries, Colombia, Bosnia, Serbia etc that didn't speak English that good, they kept them in the same classroom for most of the time.

I've got kids at all levels. Spec. Ed. has been mixed with regular ed. and it makes for an interesting day. I have less IEPs this year (today's the last day) for some reason but enough to dilute the level of instruction. I've got one girl in which I only understand one phrase. I know when she asks to go to the rest room.

Check out this fact though. My district has the second highest graduation rate in the country. But, we have a school with a male Hispanic graduation rate of less than 50 percent. Imagine if we had more kids that could habla? We'd be King of the World.

Adults???

I've got kids at all levels. Spec. Ed. has been mixed with regular ed. and it makes for an interesting day. I have less IEPs this year (today's the last day) for some reason but enough to dilute the level of instruction. I've got one girl in which I only understand one phrase. I know when she asks to go to the rest room.

Check out this fact though. My district has the second highest graduation rate in the country. But, we have a school with a male Hispanic graduation rate of less than 50 percent. Imagine if we had more kids that could habla? We'd be King of the World.

We are a pretty tolerant country, I can think of a few countries off hand where if your kids went to their schools and didn't know the language, they would be shit out of luck. They would keep failing until they learned the language or just stopped going to school.

We are a pretty tolerant country, I can think of a few countries off hand where if your kids went to their schools and didn't know the language, they would be shit out of luck. They would keep failing until they learned the language or just stopped going to school.

That was our policy up until recently. Kids learned to speak English rather quickly. Only when we keep them segregated in their own language do they really suffer.

That was our policy up until recently. Kids learned to speak English rather quickly. Only when we keep them segregated in their own language do they really suffer.

Well this hundreds of millions of dollars seems to be going to waste, because there is a shitload of people in California who don't speak English and really don't care to.

Well this hundreds of millions of dollars seems to be going to waste, because there is a shitload of people in California who don't speak English and really don't care to.

There are a number of factors at play there, but there is good news too.

Forum List

Back