Cost of tax breaks

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Luddly Neddite, May 29, 2013.

1. itfitzme

itfitzme VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Well, not exactly, seems 51% of registered low income voters are registered as Independent. Close though.

How Income Divides Democrats, Republicans, And Independents : Planet Money : NPR

2. Trajan

Trajan conscientia mille testes

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,772
    so your excuse it they didn't have time? or they didn't have it ?

make up your mind, the fact is they did and again, for like the 10th time, to enact tax/ budgetary legislation they use reconciliation, this short circuits the cloture provision by starting a clock to close debate, meaning,........ready? they only needed 51 votes...which they always had....

the link tries its best to obscure that fact, yes fact that they had from April thru Christmas the 3/5ths they need to override a filibuster.

3. Trajan

Trajan conscientia mille testes

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,772

they use language advantageous to their outlook, that attempts to obscure the fact that, labor = earnings comes first, taxes upon such, there after...if you wish to play their semantical game, have it , but it doesn't make it true. If they decide to tax everyone at 80% they have 'lost' or, it has 'cost them' 20%? come on man.....its a word game....

to make their outlook a trusim, then, one must say that every cent earned is the gov's first and they allow us to keep what they decide to.....is that really how it works? No, you know it isn't.

4. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,235
    That $1,500 is in lieu of actually figuring out all your deductions, figuring out your taxable income, doing the math to figure out your taxes, and then apply your proper tax bracket to your actual deductions. Believe it or not, Bill Gates can take exactly the same route if he wants to, be just prefers to pay someone to do the math.

5. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,235
    Doesn't change the fact that they had plenty of time to do whatever they want.

6. itfitzme

itfitzme VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Here are some interesting numbers.

2012: 61; By august, old article
    2011: 90;*
    2010: 258; <-a more productive year,
    2009: 125; The year in question?
    2008: 280;*
    2007: 180;*
    2006: 313;

"Just 61 bills have become law to date in 2012 out of 3,914 bills that have been introduced", or 2%. That was by August. So they would have reached, what, 81 for the year, est.?

This Congress could be least productive since 1947 ? USATODAY.com

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  7. itfitzme

itfitzme VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Oops, bad, January 2010 is more like 2009 than 2010.

So that is what, 10 months. That is like almost an infinite amount.

I am pretty sure they did do "whatever".

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  8. flacaltenn

flacaltenn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +34,899
    From the OP:

:yawn: :bigyawn:

I really don't care that some folks (not many) have bigger houses than me. When I lived in Cali and bought a new house (because of Prop 13) I had to pay $7200 a year and my neighbor (almost identical house) next door was only paying $1800 a year in property taxes, did I contemplate "fairness"? You bet.. But did I want the old codger to be priced out of his house by taxes? No way...

Do I care that Warren Buffet gets a Social Security check like the rest of us? Nawww....

What I DO care about is why we can't all agree to end CORPORATE welfare in the form of tax breaks that caused GE to pay no net taxes? All because they get $75 bucks back on their tax bill for every dishwasher they sell. And a couple hundred for every wind turbine they produce.

...............Oh, you say those are GREEN tax breaks?? Good for the Planet??? Get off my cloud with the rest of your partisian hack clowns.

Stop subsidizing stuff that is already in the marketplace. The fact we can't fix THAT --- explains why everyone on the LEFT and RIGHT wants to whine about class envy....

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  9. Montrovant

Montrovant Fuzzy bears!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,343
    It seems to obvious that some, if not most, deductions and tax breaks in our ridiculously bloated tax code were put in place to help some small segment of the population with good lobbying support. A lot of different 'corporate welfare' types of things, ways to avoid paying taxes by shuffling money around, things that can only be done when a person or business has enough money.

I often think people try to oversimplify political issues, but in the case of our tax system, I really think we would be much better served to simplify it. It's not a partisan issue; neither Democrats nor Republicans have done anything to simplify the tax code that I'm aware of, just the opposite in fact. It's not a current issue; this has been an ongoing process for many years. It has nothing to do with a specific administration or congress. It's just part of the corrupt, you-scratch-my-back cesspool that is politics.

I'd like to see the tax code simplified, but I don't expect it.

10. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,580
    Operating a business concern is no "simple" issue.

Business was born long before the corporation was born, or the lobby for that matter.

Taxes are levied on "adjusted gross income". Gross income is "adjusted" because in order to produce more income, businesses must spend their income. That's referred to as reinvestment of capital.

And their income is just that... theirs.

The more income a business retains, the more business it can regenerate.

The more government takes from business, the less that business is able to regenerate yet more business.

Get the picture?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1