Cost of living in US = record high!!!

skookerasbil

Platinum Member
Aug 6, 2009
Not the middle of nowhere
News Headlines

US Cost of Living Hits Record, Passing Pre-Crisis HighPublished: Thursday, 17 Mar 2011 | 4:09 PM ET Text Size By: John Melloy

One would think that after the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression, Americans could at least catch a break for a while with deflationary forces keeping the cost of living relatively low. That’s not the case.

A special index created by the Labor Department to measure the actual cost of living for Americans hit a record high in February, according to data released Thursday, surpassing the old high in July 2008. The Chained Consumer Price Index, released along with the more widely-watched CPI, increased 0.5 percent to 127.4, from 126.8 in January. In July 2008, just as the housing crisis was tightening its group, the Chained Consumer Price Index hit its previous record of 126.9.

“The Federal Reserve continues to focus on the rate of change in inflation,” said Peter Bookvar, equity strategist at Miller Tabak. “Sure, it’s moving at a slower pace, but the absolute cost of living is now back at a record high in a country that has seven million less jobs.”

I guess one could say..........Hope and Change For the Lose!!!!:fu:

My its a hoot to be a conservative on this forum these days!!! Althugh I dont know.......perhaps there are some on this forum who think this is good news???:dunno:

And Im laughing.........you look on this forum and see the titles of the threads posted up by frustrated and miserable liberals and they are quite laughable. Threads about Sarah Palin..........Wisconsin........Class Warfare.........More Sarah Palin..........Florida train project...............

Political drivel in the broad scope of things. The Dems in charge of the whole gig the past two years and the country is going to hell in a hand basket.

Anybody got the "Miss me Yet?" billboard to post up here????

Last edited:
I wonder how much of it is due to changing corn (food) to fuel?

It's a total loss it seems, as according to Consumer Reports it reduces mileage below that of the volume of gas it replaces plus raising food/meat prices.

Oh......and 22% of Americans think America is "headed in the wrong direction"............the lowest of Obama's presidency!!!!

Right Direction or Wrong Track - Rasmussen Reports™

its escalator down s0ns..........been so for a good year at least.

2910308116_40bde305b0-1.jpg

Last edited:
C'mon.......conservatives on this board took their lumps back in 2008 and indeed it stung.............

But im starting to think that Boob McNut could run in 2012 and dominate the electoral college..........

Health care costs, at an average gain of 15% a year for the last 20 years, is the #1 reason over time but gasoline is by far #1.
When energy and health care consume 1/3 of the working man's income Americans need to wake up and acknowledge we waste too much energy and over utilize the speciality health care market.

You're blaming this on Obama? This is from the best friend bankers and oil Tycoons that you love. Obama will easily win in 2012, thats why no republican wants to run.

Oh yeah... $5 gas, inflation/stagflation, $50,000,000+ unemployed, dead housing market.... yep, quite a record.

News Headlines

US Cost of Living Hits Record, Passing Pre-Crisis HighPublished: Thursday, 17 Mar 2011 | 4:09 PM ET Text Size By: John Melloy

One would think that after the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression, Americans could at least catch a break for a while with deflationary forces keeping the cost of living relatively low. That’s not the case.

A special index created by the Labor Department to measure the actual cost of living for Americans hit a record high in February, according to data released Thursday, surpassing the old high in July 2008. The Chained Consumer Price Index, released along with the more widely-watched CPI, increased 0.5 percent to 127.4, from 126.8 in January. In July 2008, just as the housing crisis was tightening its group, the Chained Consumer Price Index hit its previous record of 126.9.

“The Federal Reserve continues to focus on the rate of change in inflation,” said Peter Bookvar, equity strategist at Miller Tabak. “Sure, it’s moving at a slower pace, but the absolute cost of living is now back at a record high in a country that has seven million less jobs.”

I guess one could say..........Hope and Change For the Lose!!!!:fu:

My its a hoot to be a conservative on this forum these days!!! Althugh I dont know.......perhaps there are some on this forum who think this is good news???:dunno:

And Im laughing.........you look on this forum and see the titles of the threads posted up by frustrated and miserable liberals and they are quite laughable. Threads about Sarah Palin..........Wisconsin........Class Warfare.........More Sarah Palin..........Florida train project...............

Political drivel in the broad scope of things. The Dems in charge of the whole gig the past two years and the country is going to hell in a hand basket.

Anybody got the "Miss me Yet?" billboard to post up here????

you are dreaming, food and fuel are not part of the inflation index...everything's jake......:eusa_whistle::lol:

What's frightening is that it's still cheaper to live here than in Europe.

Unless you get sick without insurance. First, you lose your job. Then you get sick. And lose your savings. Then the wife or a kid gets sick, and you lose your home.

And then people state that you are a lazy bum for letting all of this happen.

Health care costs, at an average gain of 15% a year for the last 20 years, is the #1 reason over time but gasoline is by far #1.
When energy and health care consume 1/3 of the working man's income Americans need to wake up and acknowledge we waste too much energy and over utilize the speciality health care market.

All of which is true. However, the costs here for health care are as much as double what they are in other industrial nations. That also needs to be addressed.

Yes another 'Miracle" provided to us by the Hopey Changey One. This goes along with 10% Unemployment,Record Poverty,Skyrocketing Gas Prices,and Massive Debt. Man,if this guy had an 'R' by his name,CNN,NBC and all the other Democrat Wingers would be screeching for Impeachment. We can't take anymore of these Hopey Changey One "Miracles." It's time for real change in 2012. Make it happen America.

The problem with this country is our workers make too much. They drive the price of everything up by supporting their lavish lifestyles.

They need to be more on a par with their Chinese and Indian counterparts.

Prosperity through lower wages!

We're suffering through an awful Jimmy Carter-like Malaise. Hopefully things will change in 2012. Get out and Vote people.

New Topics

Forum List

Back