Cosby on Parenting again...

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20041021/D85S0AF00.html

Bill Cosby Gives Parenting Speech in Wis.

Oct 21, 2:51 PM (ET)

MILWAUKEE (AP) - Bill Cosby won cheers as he carried a serious message to the city's black community, urging parents to take up the responsibility of educating and raising their children.

"It is not all right for your 15-year-old daughter to have a child," the comedian said Wednesday night. "I'm 67 years old. I'm not talking to you any different from a grandfather who would say, 'I wouldn't do that if I were you.'"

Cosby was warmly received by a crowd of about 2,400 people at North Division High School in Milwaukee's inner city.

He asked parents to talk with their children, spend time with them and encourage them to study hard and prevent teen pregnancy. He said parents shouldn't leave the responsibility of raising their children to television and CDs.

"These are your children," Cosby said. "You're supposed to raise them."

Cosby said he decided to come after speaking with Eugene Kane, columnist for the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, and learning about the city's high rate of high school dropouts, its high teen pregnancy rate and its murder rate.

Cosby has become known for talking tough about problems of blacks and challenging parents to be more accountable for their children.

Kane had been critical of the comedian's comments before he attended a community rally Cosby held in Newark, N.J. Kane praised the event in a later column.

I would like to see Cosby speak out more. He could become a real leader in the black community.

My mom had mentioned an earlier talk she had read about that he gave. I really hope blacks will look up to him and take what he says seriously.

3 Cheers to Bill Cosby! :beer: :beer: :beer: (but make it apple juice... since we're giving cheers on parental responsibility - parents need to talk to their kids about the dangers of drinking too! ;)

Mother Moonie said:
My mom had mentioned an earlier talk she had read about that he gave. I really hope blacks will look up to him and take what he says seriously.

3 Cheers to Bill Cosby! :beer: :beer: :beer: (but make it apple juice... since we're giving cheers on parental responsibility - parents need to talk to their kids about the dangers of drinking too! ;)

Sucking up to mom again huh ? :funnyface

WHAT!!! She said it in front of YOU too!!!! You could have just as easily posted it before I did... You just weren't listening!!! :baby:

Now shut up, come get me and we'll go get coffee ya freak!

I would like to see Cosby speak out more. He could become a real leader in the black community.

Agreed. Cosby is a far more positive force for black people than the likes of Sharpton or Jackson. Cosby has faith in the strength of the individual. Cosby believes in personal responsibility. Cosby believes that people can control their own fate.

Sharpton and Jackson are no better than drug pushers. The addiction they peddle is a reliance on government handouts and the belief that blacks must have a victim mentality.

Forum List

Back