Cory Maye: Classic case for Libertarians and Gun Nuts. Not one peep around here.

Sallow

The Big Bad Wolf.
Oct 4, 2010
New York City
Well in the haze of Casey Anthony mania...comes a real troubling case.

Shortly after midnight on December 26, 2001, Maye, then 21, was drifting off to sleep in his Prentiss duplex as the television blared in the background. Hours earlier, he had put his 18-month-old-daughter to sleep. He was soon awoken by the sounds of armed men attempting to break into his home. In the confusion, he fired three bullets from the handgun he kept in his nightstand.

As he would later testify in court, Maye realized within seconds that he'd just shot a cop. A team of police officers from the area had received a tip from an informant -- later revealed to be a racist drug addict -- that there was a drug dealer living in the small yellow duplex on Mary Street ...

Maye would later testify that as soon as he realized the armed men in his home were police, he surrendered and put up his hands. There were three bullets still left in his gun. But Maye had just shot a cop. And not just any cop. He shot Officer Ron Jones, Jr., the son of Prentiss Police Chief Ron Jones, Sr. Maye is black; Jones was white. And this was Jefferson Davis County, a part of Mississippi still divided by tense relations between races. Maye was arrested and charged with capital murder, the intentional killing of a police officer.
Cory Maye: Free 10 Years After Shooting Police Officer

Cory Maye spent ten years in jail for shooting a guy he thought was breaking into his home. For their part..the police broke into the wrong house.

Where's the outrage?

Shortly after midnight on December 26, 2001, Maye, then 21, was drifting off to sleep in his Prentiss duplex as the television blared in the background. Hours earlier, he had put his 18-month-old-daughter to sleep. He was soon awoken by the sounds of armed men attempting to break into his home. In the confusion, he fired three bullets from the handgun he kept in his nightstand.

As he would later testify in court, Maye realized within seconds that he'd just shot a cop. A team of police officers from the area had received a tip from an informant -- later revealed to be a racist drug addict -- that there was a drug dealer living in the small yellow duplex on Mary Street ...

Maye would later testify that as soon as he realized the armed men in his home were police, he surrendered and put up his hands. There were three bullets still left in his gun. But Maye had just shot a cop. And not just any cop. He shot Officer Ron Jones, Jr., the son of Prentiss Police Chief Ron Jones, Sr. Maye is black; Jones was white. And this was Jefferson Davis County, a part of Mississippi still divided by tense relations between races. Maye was arrested and charged with capital murder, the intentional killing of a police officer.

Cory Maye spent ten years in jail for shooting a guy he thought was breaking into his home. For their part..the police broke into the wrong house.

Where's the outrage?

OK, I give up, where's the outrage?

Where's the outrage?

Kinda of ironic,bet the same thing would have happened to him in new york as well.

Where's the outrage?

Dunno.

Cory Maye - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Someone breaks into your house and you kill them. Turns out it was cops. No knock..they just break in.

He was sentenced to death for self defense.

You don't have a problem with that?

Cheers.

Where's the outrage?

Kinda of ironic,bet the same thing would have happened to him in new york as well.

Maybe..maybe not.

I am not a fan of no-knocks.

I think they are bullshit..for this reason.

Oh I think I see some outrage...no that is a pile of dog shit in my backyard.

This story is a bunch of BS.

Who the hell shoots before he even knows what he is shooting at.

I say manslaughter at the very least. Maybe, Murder in the 2nd. I need more facts that are not laid out by some bleedingheart.

I say manslaughter at the very least. Maybe, Murder in the 2nd. I need more facts that are not laid out by some bleedingheart.

Anyone breaking into my house doesn't get the courtesy of a "Who is that?" (Mainly cause I would be using a knife. My bayonent..and I don't need to warn a burgular toting a gun he's about to get stabbed)

Anyone breaking into my house doesn't get the courtesy of a "Who is that?" (Mainly cause I would be using a knife. My bayonent..and I don't need to warn a burgular toting a gun he's about to get stabbed)

ditto! they must have kicked the door down,you willing to ask who's there at that point??or should we have expected him to think it was the cops,and just a mistake,lucky they didn't kill him right there,bet they wish they had.

Where's the outrage?

Dunno.

Cory Maye - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Someone breaks into your house and you kill them. Turns out it was cops. No knock..they just break in.

He was sentenced to death for self defense.

You don't have a problem with that?

Cheers.
I do. It was a bullshit verdict, and it's a bullshit practice.

So how was this lost in the Anthony trial? :confused:

Where's the outrage?

Maybe..maybe not.

I am not a fan of no-knocks.

I think they are bullshit..for this reason.

The militarization of our police forces is not really a very good thing,and its been a direct result of our failed war on drugs,ultra vilonece from all sides.

The results very wel could be the same ,In new york your home is not your castle,Miss for other factors,and the cops will never admit they are wrong in ether state.

Forum List

Back