Corwin Fip-Flops On Ryan Plan

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
ThinkProgress » Facing A Potential Upset Over Medicare, Jane Corwin Flip-Flops On Ryan Plan :clap2:

As voters in New York's 26th congressional district prepare to go to the polls tomorrow, many observers are predicting an upset in this heavily-Republican district. The special election has been viewed as a referendum on the House Republican plan to privatize Medicare, with polls showing Republican Jane Corwin’s support for the plan dragging her down significantly in a district that has elected only three Democrats since 1857. According to a recent Siena poll, 21 percent of voters say Medicare is their top issue, and Democrat Kathy Hochul leads by 29 points among those voters. A new PPP poll shows Hochul up six points.

Facing this grim reality, Corwin backed off her support for the GOP plan authored by Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) just two days before the election:

“The problem is with all the commercials and all the people being inundated, they’re hearing the lies,” she said. “And that’s why I’m out here telling the truth. At the end of the day, people will have to decide. But I just want everyone to be clear on what my position is.”

She calls Ryan’s plan “a terrific first step” but makes clear that she will never support controversial vouchers for Medicare.

“It’s starting a conversation that we absolutely have to have, but I’m not married to it,” she said. “I certainly would entertain any proposals that would improve any of these programs. … I’ve been saying the same thing since Day One.”
<more?

I just heard this on 'The Last Word'...

...it's HEE - larious.

Do we get to say I told you so yet? or should we wait for the whole stampede?

lolol

According to the Cook report, this is an R+6 district that's the 165th most Republican district in the country. Maybe in the 164th most Republican district, the Ryan plan isn't so toxic that the Republican candidate feels compelled to run away from it. But that means there are 271 districts in which running against Ryan is probably the smartest bet.

The really interesting question is what happens when the candidate is one of the 235 Republicans who went on the record as supporting this and helped to pass it out of the House. At least Corwin has the luxury of being able to say she'd never support it.

Pulling out all stops. the only desperate things left is lyin....oh, she has already done that also...LOL

It's coming out now that the GOP'ers in Congress were warned by their own advisors and pollsters that trying to kill Medicare was a very bad idea.

Duh.:lol:

Not many cons are standing up for Ryan's plan are they?

The funny thing here is that this is from those people here that are always whining about how TERRIBLE and corrupting campaign money is and how corrupt those politicians are that accept all that cash. Guess it is okay now?

Because it is asinine as a whole. That is the problem with the republicans today. We conservatives might hate the democrat’s policies but the republicans are not giving us much to work with. I can’t support BO and hate his policies but I can’t think of a republican that is anywhere near the election who’s policies are something that I can approve of and I refuse to vote for someone because of party affiliation or because the other guy is worse. That is why we sit here today in dire straits. Who to vote for…

Is there an egg salad sandwich running in 2012? I might vote for that…

Note the silence of the cons on this.

If Corwin pulls it out, they'll all come out of hiding.

Yeah, but unless she were to really blow out Hochul, they won't be able to totally spin away from the fact that opposition to the steaming pile of elephant crap that is the Ryan Plan made this a race that was a lot closer than it would have normally been.

Yeah, but unless she were to really blow out Hochul, they won't be able to totally spin away from the fact that opposition to the steaming pile of elephant crap that is the Ryan Plan made this a race that was a lot closer than it would have normally been.

Yeah, you know that, I know that, but anything less than a win for Hochul will get super-spun by the rightwing propaganda machine.

Yeah, you know that, I know that, but anything less than a win for Hochul will get super-spun by the rightwing propaganda machine.

Yeah, that's politics.

Forum List

Back