Correcting the Reagan Myth

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Truthmatters, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Tearing down the Reagan myth -- now more than ever | Philly | 01/31/2010

1) Reagan had a big-spending economic stimulus plan. It's true. As noted in the book, the economic turnaround of the 1980s had little or nothing to do with Reagan's income tax cut that was heavily weighted to the rich but was instead the result of other factors, including the tight money policies of then-Fed chairman Paul Volcker (now an Obama adviser) and a global collapse of oil prices. But there was something else: Reagan also created thousands upon thousands of new jobs across America with a spending program that caused the federal deficit to skyrocket. It was called the Reagan defense buildup.

In the part of America where I lived in the 1980s, Long Island, N.Y., the economy was booming, in part because of the government dollars thrown at the then-Grumman Corp. to build new jet fighters. Now, government has a chance to do the same thing that Reagan achieved -- but not by building machines of death but creating jobs for things that will improve life, like solar power and high-speed rail.

2) Reagan would not have allowed many of the terror tactics started by Bush and Cheney and continued in the face of pressure by the Obama administration. Don't believe it? -- let me count the ways:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  2. The Rabbi

The Rabbi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,214
    Wow.
    Reagan has been dead for what 2 years now? And he left office over 20 years ago. So why does anyone care?
    Can it be that if we tear down Reagan's real accomplishments we will make Obama look better? Say it aint so.
    And this is the first tiem I've seen that tight money contributes to economic activity. That is one new message for Bernanke. He's got it all wrong. He needs to raise rates, like to 15% like they were in Reagan's day.

Total fucking tool of a post from a total fucking tool of a poster.

3. Midnight Marauder

Midnight Marauder BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,876
    SNATCH at them straws! :rofl:

4. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    OH boy, this is bad.

I lived through that. I remember what caused that collapse in oil prices. I remember getting the benefit of those tax cuts. The spending dindn't help much, as it was concentrated in SoCal and the NE, and the NE still suffered huge job loses back then as the economy was changing so much.

This is one of the very bothersome parts of liberalism, the changing of history to suit their needs.
    What I remember was that the government spending was a drag and the tax cuts helped everybody.

5. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Changing of history?

please tell me what part of this is an attempt to change history?

Did you even read it?

6. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    They have faith Truthmatters, you will not sway their opinions.

7. Tom Clancy

Tom Clancy Clancy for Ron Paul

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +585
    Right because the USSR wasn't a threat back then, so we didn't need to Increase spending to Protect our nation.

Nope.

TM, this thread shows that your an idiot, Liberals still Loathe Reagan, maybe because they hate seeing a Conservative who actually helped America?

It's also kind of funny how you guys complain about the spending, but you guys don't say shit when it comes to Obama's Spending.

8. Cold Fusion38

Cold Fusion38 SUPER GENIUS

Thanks Received:
    In the desert chasing that damn roadrunner.
    Ratings:
    +307
    Reagan TRIPLED the national debt. DISPUTE that FACT! Our economy LOST manufacturing jobs DESPITE Reagans HUGE tax breaks for the RICH and big business, why is that?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  9. Midnight Marauder

Midnight Marauder BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,876
    Sam Donaldson: Mr. President, how many of the country's problems would you accept the blame for at this point in your administration?

President Reagan: All of them Sam, I was once a Democrat.
    It's "wag the dog" and "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" straw grasping!:rofl:

An outstanding display of pure desperation, and relying on a century-old playbook!

10. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,310
    Reagan myth: Reagans policies won the Cold War