Corporatism in action

Sorry, we are supposed to turn away from being a Capitalistic country? Or is this another case we can point to and note that we have not been one for a very long time?

Sorry, we are supposed to turn away from being a Capitalistic country? Or is this another case we can point to and note that we have not been one for a very long time?

Not sure what you're getting at. I posted the article as an example of the shift toward corporatism in our government.

Not sure what you're getting at. I posted the article as an example of the shift toward corporatism in our government.

The article doesn't support that. Trump is still bailing out farmers.

I've wired my share of dairy farms , and know a lot of small change diary farmers

Short version, da Gub'Mit and all it's illustrious regulatory agencies, FDA, USDA, etc pile on regs & bureaucracies , then subsidize them when they have a hard time with it all...

So here's where all you 'free market' advocates get to howl.....
source.gif

~S~

By corporatism do you mean organizing society by corporate groups like labor or agriculture or are you referring to the influence business exerts on politics?
1200-612095-518412290.jpg

Understanding Corporatocracy and its Effects With Examples

"Corporatocracy ... -kratía, lit. 'domination by'), short form corpocracy,[1] is a recent[when?] term used to refer to an economic and political system controlled by corporations or corporate interests."

Corporatocracy - Wikipedia

By corporatism do you mean organizing society by corporate groups like labor or agriculture or are you referring to the influence business exerts on politics?

The former. This is why I posted a link to the definition.

Last edited:
Dairy subsidies should have stopped decades ago

All these kinds of subsidies need to stop.

Too many votes to be had in the Ag community to stop them.

I am also not sure most people would like the results.

So what? Are you saying the subsidies should be stopped? Or not? I'm never quite sure how to take the "ain't ever gonna happen" responses.

They should be phased out over time, not just ended cold turkey.

But it will never happen. Because I do not think most people want them to. They like knowing what they paid for their produce or meat or any other food will be basically the same next week as it was last week.

Also, I know a good deal about Dean's as they are from my neck of the woods. While the government played a part in their downfall, it was mostly gross mismanagement and Walmart opening their own dairies.

Ok.

But it will never happen.

Why do you think it's important to point this out? The reason I ask, is people usually lean on "ain't gonna happen" rhetoric when they oppose something, but either can't, or don't want to, make an argument against it.

Because I do not think most people want them to. They like knowing what they paid for their produce or meat or any other food will be basically the same next week as it was last week.

I'm not really interested in predictions, or your assessment of public opinion. I'm interested in your views on the topic. Do you think government should be "managing" markets with subsidies and tax manipulation?

Ok.

But it will never happen.

Why do you think it's important to point this out? The reason I ask, is people usually lean on "ain't gonna happen" rhetoric when they oppose something, but either can't, or don't want to, make an argument against it.

Why? Because the number of people willing to deal with this may be only 2%.

Because I do not think most people want them to. They like knowing what they paid for their produce or meat or any other food will be basically the same next week as it was last week.

I'm not really interested in predictions, or your assessment of public opinion. I'm interested in your views on the topic. Do you think government should be "managing" markets with subsidies and tax manipulation?

I'm for one of two things. Completely end things like this and allow things to fall where they may OR not constantly arguing for things that largely help those who already have.

I'm for one of two things. Completely end things like this and allow things to fall where they may OR not constantly arguing for things that largely help those who already have.

How would you achieve the latter?

I am torn on the subject. Had you asked me 6 years ago I would have said that no, the government should not be "managing" markets with subsidies.

Then I got a job in the Ag industry and discovered some of the why they do it. I started my job in 2013, a year after a major drought affected much of the country, here in the middle of the country a great deal. Entire fields were lost, yields were vastly lower and the cost of production was through the roof.

Most of the country did not know this was happening because there was no corresponding uptick in the price of food in the grocery store, they stayed pretty much the same.

And while there were some bankruptcy, for the most part farmers survived to plant another year thanks to government intervention. This also helps to ensure a steady supply of food at a steady price.

This is the most basic goal of what the government does with the Ag industry. And I can in one hand understand the philosophy behind it. 2/3 of our country lives paycheck to paycheck, could they absorb a 50% increase in food for a year?

On the other hand I also see first hand how the government takes it way beyond that, which is the problem with any government intervention, they are never satisfied to do the minimum, but always want more and more control. Ethanol is a fine example of this,as is the dairy industry which far and away receives the most government assistance of any sector in Ag.

So, there is my answer. It is not black and white, as very little in life is.

x5DApydZl8n4FYAslTTO23Asbn-fUUDfIy_m2_wcLEI.jpg

Who do you blame for a company using its wealth to manipulate government, wealthy individuals or government?

Forum List

Back