Corporations and taxes

Corporations don't mind sales taxes? Really?

They don't. Really.

So if I'm a Louisiana based corporation, and my customers have to pay the approx 8% sales tax, I shouldn't mind that I have to compete with mail order companies outside of Louisiana that sell things at the same price but with no sales tax?

Then Louisiana should consider taxing internet purchases to even things out.

If I sell liquor and beer on the border of one state and the sales tax is much lower right over the border in in the other - that's no problem for me, right?

One would hope that the local taxing bodies would make sure their cross-border counties are in parity with each other so that consumers shop in their own home town.

The corporation does not care how much the local sales tax is.

They don't care that the buying power of their customers is reduced? That seems counterintuitive.

The consumers buying power is reduced by the actions of their elected officials, not the corporations.

It wouldn't be their fault if the rate was 8.75% or 200.65%.
How many plasma TV's do you think people would buy at 200.65% tax? The same number as with 8.75% - with the same before tax price?

You miss the point again. If every store is charging 200.65%, it's the government's fault, not the corporation. And if someone really wants a plasma TV, they'll pay it.

Corporations do not set sales tax rates, governments do.

Forum List

Back