Corporate welfare in action ....

Why does every other company in the area have to pay the full property tax, and Apple doesn't?

Who says every other company is?

Cities and states offer abatements to attract businesses. They create jobs and new taxation for the city and state.

They are allowing 71% reduction meaning that they are collecting 29% of taxes they would not otherwise collect if the land were to sit there. That's 2,000 acres that they will be paying that 29% on. That's a hell of a lot of money.
Oh, I see. So just the local mom and pops have to pay the full freight.

That sounds fair...

Sorry, but life isn't fair and neither is taxation.
It is government picking winners and losers, which is completely antithetical to conservatism and libertarianism.

Only a pseudocon would support this kind of government interference and behavioral control in the markets.

Well I have some bad news for ya, and that is taxes are different in every state, city and town even without abatements. So if a business is concerned about taxation, they will move to a city or state that has lower taxes than the others. You're not going to have a flat state or city tax rate across the country because the federal government doesn't (and can''t) regulate local taxation. So areas lowering their tax rate to be the most business attractive is the only move they have.
Banning tax expenditures would enable a government to lower tax rates for everyone, and that would be enticement enough.

Even better, a state could enact a Fair Tax and do away with taxes on production altogether.

Basically, communities of people, through their representatives, are bidding to get a company to locate there. Communities are trading lower tax revenue to get some tax revenue and growth to their communities. Should the federal government determine sales, property and income tax rates in every county in every state of the union?

Cities and states offer abatements to attract businesses. They create jobs and new taxation for the city and state.

They are allowing 71% reduction meaning that they are collecting 29% of taxes they would not otherwise collect if the land were to sit there. That's 2,000 acres that they will be paying that 29% on. That's a hell of a lot of money.

That sounds fair...

It is government picking winners and losers, which is completely antithetical to conservatism and libertarianism.

Only a pseudocon would support this kind of government interference and behavioral control in the markets.

Well I have some bad news for ya, and that is taxes are different in every state, city and town even without abatements. So if a business is concerned about taxation, they will move to a city or state that has lower taxes than the others. You're not going to have a flat state or city tax rate across the country because the federal government doesn't (and can''t) regulate local taxation. So areas lowering their tax rate to be the most business attractive is the only move they have.
Banning tax expenditures would enable a government to lower tax rates for everyone, and that would be enticement enough.

Even better, a state could enact a Fair Tax and do away with taxes on production altogether.

Bringing in new business does keep taxes lower for everyone. We have areas around here that lost a lot of industry--particularly during the housing crash. It devastated some cities because those businesses provided a lot of tax money to the city. They had to go to their residents for tax increases to make up the losses. They had to cut city services like snow removal and laying off city employees like street workers, garbage men, and city hall department workers.

Our friend thinks it's unfair to the small guy because the big guy gets a break. I'm not sure I agree. I think an argument can be made that a company who will hire 50 people in a community might deserve to pay less in taxes than the company who employs 5. The bottom line, it's really up to the local community to make these decisions. Nobody held a gun to anyone's head and said you must take this deal.

Basically, communities of people, through their representatives, are bidding to get a company to locate there. Communities are trading lower tax revenue to get some tax revenue and growth to their communities.
It's a giant hoax.

https://itep.org/wp-content/uploads/taxincentiveeffectiveness.pdf

So the federal government should determine the sales, property and income taxes for every county in America, right?
Nope.

The federal government is the biggest offender of tax expenditures. They federal government redistributes $1.4 trillion of our wealth each year in tax expenditures.

Our friend thinks it's unfair to the small guy because the big guy gets a break. I'm not sure I agree. I think an argument can be made that a company who will hire 50 people in a community might deserve to pay less in taxes than the company who employs 5.
Why?

Why are you wanting to punish the person who employs 5 people with higher taxes?

That's just like the federal government punishing you with higher taxes for not BREEDING!

It is far past time for this insanity to stop.

The government taxing you more for not hiring the right number of workers.

How the FUCK can anyone who supports this idea call themselves a conservative or libertarian with a straight face?

And how dare they whine about the government taxing you more for not buying the right kind of insurance?

This OP obviously doesn't know what a publically traded company is, and who owns it. Hint: Countless public and private employee pension plans own Apple, omg those evil Teachers unions are sucking up corporate welfare ALARM!! :laugh:

Publicly traded companies are owned by the principals. Securities of a publicly traded company are owned by investors.

The government taxing you more for not hiring the right number of workers.

How the FUCK can anyone who supports this idea call themselves a conservative or libertarian with a straight face?

And how dare they whine about the government taxing you more for not buying the right kind of insurance?

I own five companies with more than 1200 employees and I qualify for health insurance subsidies.

Basically, communities of people, through their representatives, are bidding to get a company to locate there. Communities are trading lower tax revenue to get some tax revenue and growth to their communities. Should the federal government determine sales, property and income tax rates in every county in every state of the union?

Before you go any further;

Where Is The Outrage Over Corporate Welfare?

Why does every other company in the area have to pay the full property tax, and Apple doesn't?

That sounds fair...

Dont lie. Every liberal supports this as well and uses it to make sure welfare is never ever cut.
How is that?

This Apple data center is a $1.4 BILLION dollar deal, the property tax break is tax revenue that does not exist and would not exist without this deal hence nobody is getting short changed. Furthermore Apple has $260 BILLION in cash sitting off-shore, deals like this to bring that cash back into the US should be applauded.

This Apple data center is a $1.4 BILLION dollar deal, the property tax break is tax revenue that does not exist and would not exist without this deal hence nobody is getting short changed. Furthermore Apple has $260 BILLION in cash sitting off-shore, deals like this to bring that cash back into the US should be applauded.

Wouldn't the money be better spent on small business that will actually return to the community in taxes, employment, and sales tax that will be kept locally?

How is this going to repatriate the $250B since Apples' money laundering is far more lucrative?

Wouldn't the money be better spent on small business that will actually return to the community in taxes, employment, and sales tax that will be kept locally?

How is this going to repatriate the $250B since Apples' money laundering is far more lucrative?

Riiiiight a pixy dust fairy is going to create $1.4 billion in small businesses goddamn an eyeroll seems inadequate. :rolleyes:

Forum List

Back