Corporate Death Penalty - For or Against

Corporate Death Penalty

• For

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Against

Votes: 17 85.0%

• Total voters
Yeah, I don't believe in the justice system, I don't believe there are crimes, I believe if there is a victim, he/she should have known about the risks. :cuckoo:

Your an idiot spider.....you may have gone to LSU, but it really hasn't given you anything to grow on. You lack deductive reasoning. :lol:

Majored in Underwater Basket Weaving and forgot the breathing apparatus.

Did you major in comedy?

So are you against government punishing people who commit crimes, as well?

Yeah, I don't believe in the justice system, I don't believe there are crimes, I believe if there is a victim, he/she should have known about the risks. :cuckoo:

Your an idiot spider.....you may have gone to LSU, but it really hasn't given you anything to grow on. You lack deductive reasoning. :lol:

So justice is something that only real people are subject to - but corporations, being higher citizens than real people - should not be subject to it?
Show me where I have ever said that, spider. You are making inferences that is making you look like a 16 year old. Grow up sonny, or go back to your sandbox.

So justice is something that only real people are subject to - but corporations, being higher citizens than real people - should not be subject to it?
Show me where I have ever said that, spider. You are making inferences that is making you look like a 16 year old. Grow up sonny, or go back to your sandbox.

You didn't have to. If you're against criminal penalties for corporations but favor them for people, you want corporations to be higher citizens than actual people.

You didn't have to. If you're against criminal penalties for corporations but favor them for people, you want corporations to be higher citizens than actual people.

More inferences on you part, sonny. Come back when you actually have something on me, Okay?

Corporations are PEOPLE.
Punish the entity and the stock holders, everyday citizens, PAY THE PRICE.

More inferences on you part, sonny. Come back when you actually have something on me, Okay?

There's nothing wrong with inductive reasoning.

I have a question for all opposed.

I was wondering if you'd be OK with me having all the rights of a corporation. I'd like to just pay fines if I kill someone. Thanks.

great, then you would cease to exist as a human being :clap2:

Why should something that is not a human being have more rights than I do? That's stupid. The Constitution says We the PEOPLE not We the LLC's! Corporations entire existence is owed to the people, yet the people seem to be willing to let corporations walk all over them.

I guess if you want to screw the shareholders, that would be one way of doing it.

The shareholders accepted liability up to the amount they paid for the shares when they bought them.

It would give a whole new meaning to 401K's and IRA's, and the trust in 401K's and IRA's. Could have a grave impact on the stock market, and the money in the market. But, hey.....more power to our government....I know we all trust them to do the right thing.

So are you also against the DP for individuals or do you think corporations should have special rights?
Why punish all the shareholder because management has been a bad boy? It seems more appropriate that management be punished.

Why not? The corporate entity is a fiction that exists only on paper sanctioned and recognized by the State. If they're going to have individual rights they should also have individual responsibilities - and penalties.

Of course the Enrons and Countrywides of the world tend to kill themselves long before the State could convict them and take them over.

Slippery slope my child!

Not too mention who would get hurt the most? The shareholders, who usually don't manage or dictate day to day functions.

Not too mention who would get hurt the most? The shareholders, who usually don't manage or dictate day to day functions.

Well heck, since the shareholders of corporations obviously should receive consideration over everyone and everything else, why don't we just get rid of all penalties for corporations? Let them do anything they like.

Do you realize how expensive it is, for instance, to dispose of toxic waste? It would make far more sense to just allow companies to dump their waste into lakes or streams, because they will save a ton of money that way, which is good for the shareholders. You are pro-shareholder, right? Wouldn't want to do anything to harm them.

Should a corporation that has committed a grave offense be confiscated from its shareholders and sold off by the government?

Let's go back to the model our founding fathers created...

------------------------------------------------------------------

When American colonists declared independence from England in 1776, they also freed themselves from control by English corporations that extracted their wealth and dominated trade. After fighting a revolution to end this exploitation, our country's founders retained a healthy fear of corporate power and wisely limited corporations exclusively to a business role. Corporations were forbidden from attempting to influence elections, public policy, and other realms of civic society.

Initially, the privilege of incorporation was granted selectively to enable activities that benefited the public, such as construction of roads or canals. Enabling shareholders to profit was seen as a means to that end.

The states also imposed conditions (some of which remain on the books, though unused) like these:

* Corporate charters (licenses to exist) were granted for a limited time and could be revoked promptly for violating laws.

* Corporations could engage only in activities necessary to fulfill their chartered purpose.

* Corporations could not own stock in other corporations nor own any property that was not essential to fulfilling their chartered purpose.

* Corporations were often terminated if they exceeded their authority or caused public harm.

* Owners and managers were responsible for criminal acts committed on the job.

* Corporations could not make any political or charitable contributions nor spend money to influence law-making.

History of Corporations (United States)

Corporations are PEOPLE.
Punish the entity and the stock holders, everyday citizens, PAY THE PRICE.

Corporations are not people.

---------
For more information on My posts visit My website blog at TM8k which explains My philosophy.

It may constitute a legal fiction, since Corporations don't have hearts and lungs and spleens etc.

Nevertheless, Corporations ARE People in the eyes of the law for a whole variety of purposes.

It is untruthful, Seersuckeer Travesty, to claim that corporations are "not" [sic] people, therefore. Why do you self proclaimed purveyors of forbidden truths find it so necessary to be deceptive and to outright lie all the time, as you do?

Should a corporation that has committed a grave offense be confiscated from its shareholders and sold off by the government?
Like Du Pont in Bhopal India? Or Massey Energy in West Virginia? Or BP in the Gulf of Mexico? Or Blackwater wherever they go?

Or maybe like Jones and Laughlin Steel in Aliquippa, Pennsylvania? There, they boxed up the mill and sent it to Singapore leaving the workers, the city and its environs high and dry and dead economically and environmentally.

If corporations can 'speak' with their dollars, buy representatives through their lobbying and write legislation to benefit themselves through their influence, why shouldn't they also be held liable for their crimes?

Like Du Pont in Bhopal India? Or Massey Energy in West Virginia? Or BP in the Gulf of Mexico? Or Blackwater wherever they go?

Or maybe like Jones and Laughlin Steel in Aliquippa, Pennsylvania? There, they boxed up the mill and sent it to Singapore leaving the workers, the city and its environs high and dry and dead economically and environmentally.

If corporations can 'speak' with their dollars, buy representatives through their lobbying and write legislation to benefit themselves through their influence, why shouldn't they also be held liable for their crimes?

Duh.

Except what you and so many of your ilk and stripe blithely overlook is that they ALREADY ARE accountable in the criminal justice system.

They can already be sued civilly, too, which is usually more to the point when it comes to the victims of corporate criminality.

And, naturally, for behavior that would constitute a crime if committed by a human being, the corporations' officers can also be held to criminal account if the corporate "crimes" are the kind that stem from "intent" or criminal level "negligence" by the officers. Of course, the prosecution still has to go about the standard task of PROVING it. Sometimes you libs seem to forget that part.

And what should become of fraudsters like Dodd, Frank, Waters, Raynes, etc. who perpetrate a great fraud on the American economy?

Oh, that's right, they are cheered by the leftists as they lecture us on how to "fix" what they broke.

Forum List

Back