Corporate America Is Sitting On The Solution To The Jobs Crisis: Report

For some, hate for Obama supersedes what is morally right. Screw Obama, but don't screw Main Street America!

You see it's not 0bama the man, it's 0bama the policies. He's a pretty likeable fellow, just not a very good president.

I'm very aware of Obama's policies, it's also out do-nothing-Congress. I for one am not voting for any incumbent in 2012, be they Dem or Repug.
But,,in the same breath I am very angry at the banks and private corporations. They are holding the US economy hostage just so they can get what they want, which is zero taxes, zero regulations and that makes zero responsibility. In my book that's blackmail.
How anyone can side with banks and corporations baffles me.
The Bible preaches about greed and dishonesty,,,,,often.
Ah, Kiwi? I think we both know that it's ridiculous to make the statement that banks and corporations are looking for zero taxes and zero regulations. They aren't holding our economy "hostage". They are being very cautious about making any large investments with the current political climate. Who can really blame them? I don't see banks and corporations as the enemy as you seem to. Sorry, I just don't.

For every naysayer there is a pro stimulus sayer. Do opponents of Obama want to say the stimulus worked, no need for an answer.

"Did the stimulus work? A review of the nine best studies on the subject...Of the nine studies I’ve found, six find that the stimulus had a significant, positive effect on employment and growth, and three find that the effect was either quite small or impossible to detect. Five studies use econometric ”experiments,” which attempt to, as Barro encourages, sort out the effect of the stimulus from other factors using empirical data. Four use modeling instead."

It would seem obvious except to the ideologue that creating jobs and spending money works, Reagan did it when he was elected on mostly defense spending. Eisenhower did it with the interstate system. FDR did it after republican presidents created the great depression, and it worked every year except when he cut back on spending. WWII finally became the ultimate spending package and it helped us till the soldiers came home and economic growth returned to durable goods and corporate responsibility - sadly missing today.

The stimulus worked, but there is no way an ideologue on the right will find that truth for their minds have been conditioned for too long not to think but to emote.

Did the stimulus work? A review of the nine best studies on the subject - The Washington Post

I have just one question for you, Mid...

If the stimulus "worked" then why are we being asked to spend another half a trillion dollars in additional stimulus? My answer to my own question... is that it really didn't work other than for the time those stimulus funds were propping up public sector jobs. So are we going to keep doing additional stimulus plans every couple years to keep that happening? And if we do? How many more times will our credit rating be downgraded because of the huge amounts of debt we're incurring?

If you had read the piece you'd have the answer. Our rating went down because of tea party intransigence and the lack of political will by the few sane republicans left in the party.

Lots of detail here on our last financial fiasco. http://www.usmessageboard.com/history/180822-i-welcome-their-hatred-fdr.html

For every naysayer there is a pro stimulus sayer. Do opponents of Obama want to say the stimulus worked, no need for an answer.

"Did the stimulus work? A review of the nine best studies on the subject...Of the nine studies I’ve found, six find that the stimulus had a significant, positive effect on employment and growth, and three find that the effect was either quite small or impossible to detect. Five studies use econometric ”experiments,” which attempt to, as Barro encourages, sort out the effect of the stimulus from other factors using empirical data. Four use modeling instead."

It would seem obvious except to the ideologue that creating jobs and spending money works, Reagan did it when he was elected on mostly defense spending. Eisenhower did it with the interstate system. FDR did it after republican presidents created the great depression, and it worked every year except when he cut back on spending. WWII finally became the ultimate spending package and it helped us till the soldiers came home and economic growth returned to durable goods and corporate responsibility - sadly missing today.

The stimulus worked, but there is no way an ideologue on the right will find that truth for their minds have been conditioned for too long not to think but to emote.

Did the stimulus work? A review of the nine best studies on the subject - The Washington Post

If the stimulus "worked" then why are we being asked to spend another half a trillion dollars in additional stimulus? My answer to my own question... is that it really didn't work other than for the time those stimulus funds were propping up public sector jobs. So are we going to keep doing additional stimulus plans every couple years to keep that happening? And if we do? How many more times will our credit rating be downgraded because of the huge amounts of debt we're incurring?

If you had read the piece you'd have the answer. Our rating went down because of tea party intransigence and the lack of political will by the few sane republicans left in the party.

Lots of detail here on our last financial fiasco. http://www.usmessageboard.com/history/180822-i-welcome-their-hatred-fdr.html

Whether the stimulus 'helped' is a pretty subjective concept, despite the emipirical studies done. The majority of those studies show that the stimulus saved or created jobs. To all the Obama stimulus nay sayers, it should be intuitively obvious that 'helped'. If you give a poorly run company a bunch of money that would have gone out of business otherwise, of course that money saved some people their jobs.

Unfortunately that isn't the whole story. Does bailing out poorly run businesses really help the economy long term. No it doesn't. Because all you've done is told the really big financial institutions that employ thousands of people nationally that it's okay if they screw up. It's a game of chicken. Despite a stern wag of the finger from government about how they do things, they're betting government will flinch and bail them out before they let a few thousand people lose their jobs. It helps people keep their jobs in the short term. It does not strenghten the economy long term.

Lastly there are good stimulus plans and bad stimulus plans. One thing you leftist ideologues probably won't be able to admit is that one way to stimulate the economy would be to lower corporate tax rates, or in fact lower taxes across the board on everyone. After all, people's wants haven't changed. They just don't have the money to realize them. I admitted the stimulus worked in the short term. Do you have the same integrity midcan?

Last edited:

Tea Party intransigence? Since the Tea Party has been asking for spending cuts to reduce the deficit all along then it's hard to grasp why THEY would be at fault for our being downgraded because we didn't reduce the deficit to a level the rating agency expected.

As to blaming it on a lack of political will by sane Republicans? Many of those Republicans were elected to cut spending. Not to raise taxes...to cut spending. That was the message sent to this Congress and this President by the 2010 mid-term elections when the largest percentage of seats changed hands in modern political history. The "intransigence" is with the political party that LOST that election. They refuse to make cuts in spending, insisting instead that taxes be raised. They do that despite economists cautioning that raising taxes in a weak economy isn't good fiscal policy.

Forum List

Back