Cornbread

Cornbread is a staple at my house. A southern tradition forever. I learned to make it when I was probably 10 years old from my Grandmother. It is so 'second nature' that I don't even have to measure my ingredients. Here is the basic recipe:

2 cups corn meal (here we use Martha White brand almost exclusively)
1 3/4 - 2 cups buttermilk
2 eggs
1/3 cup of corn oil (or bacon grease if you have it.)
No more than 1 tbsp of sugar (if any)

I start with the dry ingredients first, add about 1 1/2 cup of the buttermilk, then beat the eggs in a separate bowl and add them and the oil goes last. Add remainder of the buttermilk until you get the right consistency.

The mixture should be not too runny or not too thick... like consistency of cement. If it is a little too runny, no worries, let it sit a while and it will thicken. Also, if you mix it up and it looks right but you have to wait for your skillet to finish heating, it will dry out and you may add some more buttermilk to 'refresh' before pouring your mixture into the hot skillet.

The secret is the skillet. Always use a cast iron skillet. I coat the inside of the skillet with Crisco shortening and put it in the oven preheated to 450 degrees F. I generally do this before I start mixing my ingredients because you want that skillet VERY hot. When you pour in your batter it should sizzle... pour briskly, don't mess around. Cook at 450 for about 30-40 minutes or until the top is dark golden brown. If your skillet is not hot enough, your cornbread will stick.

When you remove from the oven, place a plate upside down over the top of the skillet then flip the skillet while holding the plate steady... the cornbread should fall right out of the pan. If not, flip back over and run a butter knife around the the inside edge of the skillet to separate the bread from skillet and try it again. If you still have problems with it sticking your skillet is not properly 'seasoned' ...that's a whole different lesson. Never wash an iron skillet in the dishwasher and avoid soap and water as much as possible. I usually clean my used skillet with a paper towel.

My favorite 'variation' is Mexican Cornbread.. adding chopped jalapenos, pimentos, chunks of cheddar cheese and a drained can of corn. My favorite thing to eat cornbread with is butter beans or I think they are often known as "large lima beans." Beans, cornbread and a big slice of Vidalia onion is a meal that needs nothing else. I also like leftover cornbread crumbled in a glass with milk or buttermilk.

The type of cornmeal you use is the MOST important thing! Some of them are flavorless. The last time I made homemade corn bread, I used a brand called "Indian Head" yellow stone ground cornmeal, and it came out really good. :)

Forum List

Back