Cornbread - No Sugar or wheat flour! EVER!

Grits are great. :thup:
And black-eyed peas.
And collared greens.
Fried okra.

Collard greens, I love. I've had fried okra, and it's not bad. I have also had black-eyed peas that I've liked, but I wouldn't travel for them.

But grits are awful. And I've tried (to the mockery of my Southern friends) to eat them with sugar and cream, and they're still no good. Tried them the "correct" way (with cheese, and pepper, or butter and salt and pepper), and they're still inedible to this damned Yankee.
You eat grits with butter and fried eggs chopped in, or with gravy.

No southerner would put sugar and cream in grits.

That is what God made oatmeal for.

You forgot bacon grease.

I hate sugared cornbread. Yecccch.
Love me some peas and cornbread with fried porkchops and mashed potatoes.

Never developed a taste for greens though I can tolerate a little bit of mustard with hot bacon grease drizzled over them.

And black-eyed peas.
And collared greens.
Fried okra.

Collard greens, I love. I've had fried okra, and it's not bad. I have also had black-eyed peas that I've liked, but I wouldn't travel for them.

But grits are awful. And I've tried (to the mockery of my Southern friends) to eat them with sugar and cream, and they're still no good. Tried them the "correct" way (with cheese, and pepper, or butter and salt and pepper), and they're still inedible to this damned Yankee.
You eat grits with butter and fried eggs chopped in, or with gravy.

No southerner would put sugar and cream in grits.

That is what God made oatmeal for.

You forgot bacon grease.
I forget some things are not just a given.

I hate sugared cornbread. Yecccch.
Love me some peas and cornbread with fried porkchops and mashed potatoes.

Never developed a taste for greens though I can tolerate a little bit of mustard with hot bacon grease drizzled over them.
Mustard greens with bacon and pot likker are for your kind of cornbread, and I make that kind for pot likker too.

But, I have a sweet tooth, and for other meals I like a good sweet buttery corn bread.

Hell, the best cornbread for pot likker is boiling water, salt, and cornmeal, baked brown, without leavening or fat at all.

And black-eyed peas.
And collared greens.
Fried okra.
Okra are a very healthy food
You realize how hungry you just made me.
I like to catch 2 - 3 inch pods and eat em raw. during the summer I'll take onion, sweet and hot peppers and okra, dice it all, saute it and mix it in with my eggs then fry/scramble in bacon grease.

Forum List

Back