Corn Syrup is the Debil!

Discussion in 'Economy' started by Deornwulf, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Deornwulf

Deornwulf Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28
    HFCS may be cheap and easy to use in products but I think it's made Coke and other products taste like crap. If it is so good and overall a much better replacement for sugar, why don't candymakers exclusively use it in chocolate and other fine candies? Because it is crap!

Unfortunately, my boycott of Coke and pleas to Coca Cola have gone unanswered and unnoticed. Is there an economic solution to get HFCS out of my favorite foods? Am I doomed to only getting good tasting Coke in the UK?

2. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Demand that the federal government lift the tariffs on foreign sugar. That's the only reason they use HFCS (which is unhealthy and likely contributes to obesity and diabetes) is used instead of sugar here.

3. BaronVonBigmeat

BaronVonBigmeat Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +160
    I remember when I was a kid, they came out with "new Coke". Then they went back. My dad swore something wasn't right about the supposedly original formula after that. He found a dusty old flat of bottled coke in his office and sure enough, it was different. His theory was that they introduced new coke to distract from the switchover to corn syrup. Turns out he was right.

It's because of our sugar tariff basically. In Mexico, they have coke bottled with sugar, and it's led to a gray market sort of situation where stores in Mexican parts of cities will sometimes carry coke shipped in from Mexico, because I guess even Mexicans can't drink that shit, lol. So find a dumpy store in a Mexican part of town and look for Coke in glass bottles. However if it doesn't explicitly say "sugar", or whatever the spanish word is, it's just regular corn syrup coke.

You can also buy them online. Or, some parts of central Texas sell Dublin Dr. Pepper, there is still one bottler making Dr. Pepper with sugar. It tastes quite a bit different.

4. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    There are other place in the world that can produce sugar much more economically than here in the US make it cheaper to import sugar. However the sugar producers have lobbied congress to place tarriffs on import sugar. Does this make sense?

5. trobinett

trobinett Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +162
    No, but we're talking about the government, soooo.....

6. BaronVonBigmeat

BaronVonBigmeat Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +160
    http://www.lewrockwell.com/alston/alston13.html

http://blog.lewrockwell.com/lewrw/archives/012110.html

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. KarlMarx

KarlMarx Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +490
    If something is f---ed up, you can bet that the government has a hand in it.