Corn on the Freaking Cob!!!!

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
Man it's good! :eusa_drool:

Cooked up my first batch tonight for dinner, the daughter and I were in heaven! {Also had vegetarian sloppy joes, yummy}

Tender, juicy, with butter and salt!

Now if I only would have had some home grown tomatoes to go with it, we would have had the perfect meal!

pull back the husks, remove the silk and apply melted butter and soy sauce
with twine, secure the husks around the cob and place on the grill

so good, it will make you want to take back stuff you didn't steal

Heh...I know what you people call "corn," and I'm also familiar with the legitimate variety. Friend of mine from Georgia summed it up well:

Ever had fresh corn? Not canned or processed, but straight out of the field? That is THE BEST corn you will ever taste in your life. My family used to go down to deep rural southern GA once a year and spend all day picking corn in the field. We'd come back home and spend all the next day shucking it (which I actually enjoyed, as opposed to when I used to have to shell peas and butterbeans which fucking sucked). You can have it on the corn or, even better, cut it off the cob and cook it. Holy fucking shit, fresh cut corn has NO comparison. It doesn't even taste anything like corn you buy from a store. Damnit, I want some fresh corn now.

;)

Had some last weekend, grilled in the husk. MmmMmm. Can't wait for the Farmer's Market, it is soooo much better.

Heh...I know what you people call "corn," and I'm also familiar with the legitimate variety. Friend of mine from Georgia summed it up well:

Ever had fresh corn? Not canned or processed, but straight out of the field? That is THE BEST corn you will ever taste in your life. My family used to go down to deep rural southern GA once a year and spend all day picking corn in the field. We'd come back home and spend all the next day shucking it (which I actually enjoyed, as opposed to when I used to have to shell peas and butterbeans which fucking sucked). You can have it on the corn or, even better, cut it off the cob and cook it. Holy fucking shit, fresh cut corn has NO comparison. It doesn't even taste anything like corn you buy from a store. Damnit, I want some fresh corn now.

;)

Are you under the impression that most of us haven't eaten fresh corn, or something?

Of course FRESH corn is better than store bought

FRESH everything vegetable is better than store bought.

When I was growing sweet corn on my land, I would rip and ear off the stalk and eat it raw, it was so sweet and tender.

From the moment the corn is picked, the sugars in it begin turning to starch.

A matter of hours is all it take for one to taste the difference.

I like to grill Corn in the husk.

It's much sweeter that way.

ABSOLUTELY!

Grilled in the husks, makes it sweeter!

They have the BEST CORN here in Maine, come mid/end summer! I think it is because we did not grow genetically modified corn here, though a law passed last year that said Mainers could now grow genetically modified corn...:(I sure hope the farmers don't change and stay with the unmodified natural corn....it has been sooo good!

If I don't grill it, I microwave it for 3 minutes ....still very yummy and you have pure corn verses boiling with all the water...

I live in corn country USA, Indiana.

We are known for 4 things:

The Indy 500, David Letterman, Larry Bird, and corn.

Makes you want to vacation here, doesn't it?

New Jersey grows the best sweet corn (and peaches!!! if you can believe it) in America.

Remembering that produce from the Garden state really makes me want to take that long trip down to Atlantic city, just so I can stop at the farm stands along the way.

Yeah, I know...New Jersey?! Farm Produce?

Hey, they didn't name it the Garden State on a whim, folks.

New Jersey grows the best sweet corn (and peaches!!! if you can believe it) in America.

Remembering that produce from the Garden state really makes me want to take that long trip down to Atlantic city, just so I can stop at the farm stands along the way.

I lived in south Jersey for a few years....

THE BEST TOMATOES that ever existed in the history of mankind, comes from New Jersey.

They also have the sweetest white corn...I still think Maine's corn rivals it though!

my dad always made corn like that when he had a charcoal grill... not quite the same on a gas grill. :lol:

i'd pass on the soy sauce though. not my thing. I'd also suggest wrapping the corn in tinfoil after putting the butter inside the husk and before tossing it on the coals.

yummy.

I lived in south Jersey for a few years....

What exit?

THE BEST TOMATOES that ever existed in the history of mankind, comes from New Jersey.

Yes, that is true, also.

They also have the sweetest white corn...I still think Maine's corn rivals it though!

Maine? Not even close!

I think it's prbobably Southern NEW Jersey's sandy soils which explains why some of their crops are so damned tasty.

ABSOLUTELY!

Grilled in the husks, makes it sweeter!

They have the BEST CORN here in Maine, come mid/end summer! I think it is because we did not grow genetically modified corn here, though a law passed last year that said Mainers could now grow genetically modified corn...:(I sure hope the farmers don't change and stay with the unmodified natural corn....it has been sooo good!

If I don't grill it, I microwave it for 3 minutes ....still very yummy and you have pure corn verses boiling with all the water...

Yeah any corn cooked in the husk seems superior to shucked corn that's boiled or steamed.

Boiling/steaming lets the flavor excape and get watered down.

Grilling is still my favoite method for cooking it, though. Baked or grilled in the the oven is okay, but over a charcoal fire seems to work best.

Fried green tomatoes (when we can't find morel mushrooms), and fried mushrooms when we can find them.

My wife, the master of the 15-minute meal, has come up with a new way of preparing corn on the cob: she puts a couple of ears in "GLAD Microwave Steaming Bags" and "nukes" them for three minutes.

I had a huge platefull of fried mushrooms last night and the night before which she'd brought home just for me. I asked how much she'd paid and she wouldn't tell me, but must've been about $25.00/pound from the clues she was willing to give. (She can't eat any of this stuff because of a rare immune syndrome)

Forum List

Back