Corn husk mules add color, charm to Corpus Christi celebration in Mexico

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
The Molina Diaz family has spent more than a century crafting small, handmade corn husk mules and traditional sweets for the Feast of Corpus Christi, also known in Mexico as the Day of the Mules, which is being celebrated this year amid the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic and high inflation.

Every year in San Cristobal de Las Casas – a colonial city in the southeastern Mexican state of Chiapas – 85-year-old Tomas de Jesus Molina Perez and his family prepare four months in advance to make those decorative items, which are made out of dried corn husks and occasionally stuffed with candy.

“My wife and her family are the ones who used to do the work of making the sweets and mules. I joined in when the tile making (manufacture of clay tiles for houses) no longer was putting food on the table,” Tomas de Jesus said in an interview with Efe on Thursday.

While folding the corn leaves with his hands, the man recalled his wife’s aunt telling him when they first met, “learn this trade so my niece and you can support yourselves.”

Those are kind of cute looking mules.

Forum List

Back