Corker slams GOP colleagues: 'We might poke the bear!'

You go, Bob Corker.

Corker slams GOP colleagues: 'We might poke the bear!' - CNNPolitics

Tennessee Republican Sen. Bob Corker accused his party of cowering before President Donald Trump in an impassioned speech on the Senate floor Tuesday.

In an animated exchange, Corker -- who was trying to get a vote on an amendment as part of an ongoing debate over the Senate's defense bill -- argued that Republicans were blocking his trade proposal because they were afraid of Trump and what he might do to the party if they upset him in an election year.
"We might poke the bear!" said Corker, who is retiring at the end of his term. "My gosh, if the President gets upset with us we might not be in the majority," he said referring to sentiments he often hears from colleagues.
Corker has worked for the last week to try to get a vote on his amendment that would roll back Trump's trade authority and give Congress the power to check the President's ability to impose tariffs on national security grounds, like the steel and aluminum ones he announced earlier this month on US allies.
<more>

it is folks like corker that got trump elected

I see it all as economic leverage, but I can see the national security angle: What happens if China goes to war with us or cuts off trade? Where would we get the metal if we don't make it ourselves? There are some materials that we really should be making for ourselves.

I see it all as economic leverage, but I can see the national security angle: What happens if China goes to war with us or cuts off trade? Where would we get the metal if we don't make it ourselves? There are some materials that we really should be making for ourselves.

He claims national security concerns for imposing tariffs on Canadian steel. China isn't a significant player in US steel imports.

https://www.trade.gov/steel/countries/pdfs/2016/annual/imports-us.pdf

He claims national security concerns for imposing tariffs on Canadian steel. China isn't a significant player in US steel imports.

I suppose I shouldn't have specified a country in the statement as it appears to have muddied the waters a bit for some of ya.

We should be making our own stuff in America in the event of war. It's not so much about Canada steel imports, it's about being able to produce the stuff we'd need if a foreign nation (and this is why I chose China but we could just as easily say Russia) went to war with us and started sinking transport ships kind of thing.

I suppose I shouldn't have specified a country in the statement as it appears to have muddied the waters a bit for some of ya.

We should be making our own stuff in America in the event of war. It's not so much about Canada steel imports, it's about being able to produce the stuff we'd need if a foreign nation (and this is why I chose China but we could just as easily say Russia) went to war with us and started sinking transport ships kind of thing.

It's largely irrelevant to Trump using a national security concern to place a tariff on Canadian steel.

Computer chips are going to be more important than steel in the next war.

It's largely irrelevant to Trump using a national security concern to place a tariff on Canadian steel.

Computer chips are going to be more important than steel in the next war.

I don't disagree with that. We should also be producing those here.

Forum List

Back