Coretta Scott King Passed Away At 78

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
All the pain and trauma she had to endure in much of her life because of the man she chose to love for the rest of her life... a wonderful example of a great, loving wife. I pray for her family and friends, and hope that in the telling of her history in news reports and stories, that they mention prominently the faith, love and loyalty she showed to her husband (even though he did not always show this to her).

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11110291/

ATLANTA - Coretta Scott King, who turned a life shattered by her husband’s assassination into one devoted to enshrining his legacy of human rights and equality, has died. She was 78.

Markel Hutchins, a close family friend of the Kings, told The Associated Press he spoke early this morning with Bernice King, who confirmed her mother’s passing.

Former Mayor Andrew Young said on The Atlanta Journal-Constitution’s Web site that Bernice King found her mother at about 1 a.m.

Young, who was a former civil rights activist and was close to the King family, told NBC’s “Today” show: “I understand that she was asleep last night and her daughter went in to wake her up and she was not able to and so she quietly slipped away. Her spirit will remain with us just as her husband’s has.”

Efforts by The Associated Press to reach the family were unsuccessful. They did not immediately return phone calls, but flags at the King Center were lowered to half-staff Tuesday morning.

King suffered a serious stroke and heart attack in August 2005.

She was a supportive lieutenant to her husband, the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., during the most tumultuous days of the American civil rights movement. She had married him in 1953.

President Bush called King "a remarkable and courageous woman." “Mrs. King’s lasting contributions to freedom and equality have made America a better and more compassionate nation,” the president said.

I only have one beef with the late Mrs. King, and that is that she copyrighted MLK's "I Have a Dream" speech, insisting that her foundation (whatever it's called, I think it might be the King Center) get royalties every time that speech was reprinted or reshown.

Otherwise, she devoted her life to civil rights and should be honored for it. RIP.

Forum List

Back