Copyright Alert System

How is BitTorrent illegal?

It's not.

Hollywood wants to punish everyone that uses it, because of "suspected piracy".
In otherwords, you can legally fileshare your own LEGAL files and still get penalized, because in their eyes, you are pirating.

TL;DR Hollywood wants you to cough up more dough; fuck consumer rights.

What do you mean by "your own LEGAL files"?

your own pictures, text, media, etc.

Today's media has made the transfer of ownership a gray area. On one hand the entertainment industry wants to you to pay to see a movie at a theater, then pay them to buy a DVD, then pay again in the form of your cable bill for it to be aired on HBO etc.
PEOPLE NO LONGER accept this. I don't. In my example above, I already pay the entertainment industry money for Netflix, Amazon Prime, cable TV and the occasional movie at the theater. That is four different ways THEY have the opportunity to provide me content. But they don't. Through netflix they only want to provide a host of "B" movies and not-so-popular older movies. If a movie is popular they want you to pay in a FIFTH way for it - screw that. And torrents provide the means to get any movie you want.
I would be more than happy to pay for torrents. And in a way Amazon Prime does that - but they want you to pay $80 a year plus $3.00 each for the more popular movies. That is bullshit.

I can't understand you here. I have Amazon Prime and a five-movie Netflix subscription. I see almost ALL my movies those two ways, including the A movies. Both services have the best movies -- I don't know why you say they only have B movies.

You may be talking about speed of access. It is true that we wait a few months to get the No. 1 movies, the new stuff, but I don't care. I'd rather see them at home and I don't want to pay a premium to see them early.

I think you are jumping over to BitTorrent not simply to get content, but to get it as soon as it comes out. Am I right?

? -- Sure they have some newer movies...but 90% of what they have is 1980's and 90's movies. I'm talking about the streaming only content. Which is how people want to watch movies. Once you have watched movies in a streaming format - you won't go back to DVD again.

The copyright laws allow for LIMITED license to view materials which are copyrighted by another. The limited license allows you to have one copy for personal use only and an archive copy in case the original is damaged. It does not allow you to share your copy with anyone else. If you want to do thar then you have to pay for a less limited license to do it or buy the copyright outright.

Purchasing a video, game, music or software does not mean you own it. It only gives YOU (specific and singularly) a limited right to use it for your personal enjoyment. You absolutely have no right to share the material(s) with another.

If an owner of copyrighted material (book, game, program or music) has to work for three years to produce something that you wish to use, he has a constitutional right to the exclusive rights to that material. Using it without permission or beyond the permissions allowed is a crime. It robs the author, editor, publisher and producer of their work value that is included in the price plus royalties that are paid when you purchase it. You are not buying the music, book, game or software - only the right to use it under the copyright laws.

Would you use a neighbor's ladder without asking? Would you use someone else's car without asking? It is the same crime and it injures the owner in the same way.

Last edited:
The copyright laws allow for LIMITED license to view materials which are copyrighted by another. The limited license allows you to have one copy for personal use only and an archive copy in case the original is damaged. It does not allow you to share your copy with anyone else. If you want to do thar then you have to pay for a less limited license to do it or buy the copyright outright.

Purchasing a video, game, music or software does not mean you own it. It only gives YOU (specific and singularly) a limited right to use it for your personal enjoyment. You absolutely have no right to share the material(s) with another.

If an owner of copyrighted material (book, game, program or music) has to work for three years to produce something that you wish to use, he has a constitutional right to the exclusive rights to that material. Using it without permission or beyond the permissions allowed is a crime. It robs the author, editor, publisher and producer of their work value that is included in the price plus royalties that are paid when you purchase it. You are not buying the music, book, game or software - only the right to use it under the copyright laws.

Would you use a neighbor's ladder without asking? Would you use someone else's car without asking? It is the same crime and it injures the owner in the same way.

if i paid for his ladder, hell yea i'd use it without asking

Only it's not the same.

That analogy only works if, somehow, the neighbor's ladder or car is magically reproduced with little to no effort.

More, it would be a bit closer to say that it's like renting the neighbor's ladder and, while you have it, letting someone else use it.

Even that isn't quite right because, in the case of the media we are talking about, you never 'give it back'.

Intellectual property does NOT work the same as material property. That doesn't mean that there shouldn't be rules governing how it is distributed, but it does mean that you cannot simply look at how material property is dealt with and translate that to intellectual property. If I sing a song someone else wrote, I am not stealing it from them. If I lend or give someone a cd of a song, that person is not stealing it from the artist. You cannot really STEAL intellectual property, so much as steal the credit and/or profits of it's use and distribution.

The real issue is that current technology has made the transfer of intellectual property so easy. The law has not been able to keep up. This isn't like copying someone's music cassette (and how many people were ever prosecuted for that?). This isn't renting movies and copying them onto VHS. This is anyone who wishes to being able to copy something and distribute it pretty much worldwide, with virtually no work or hassle. This is anyone who wishes to being able to find and download any song, book, movie, or game that someone else decided to make available, again with virtually no work or hassle.

I don't know how the law should deal with this. I'm afraid the choices may be between allowing most of it to pass, and only going after the most egregious violators (those who upload vast amounts of content) or becoming overly draconian in the surveillance and enforcement of copywrite law.

We are now, and have been for some time IMO, in a time of great uncertainty where intellectual property is concerned.

It's not.

Hollywood wants to punish everyone that uses it, because of "suspected piracy".
In otherwords, you can legally fileshare your own LEGAL files and still get penalized, because in their eyes, you are pirating.

TL;DR Hollywood wants you to cough up more dough; fuck consumer rights.

How, exactly, do you get penalized for sharing those documents?

As long as the media is published as GNU, "open source" or in the public domain there are no penalties for sharing the media. If it does not specifically state that it is copyrighted under one of those types you can be fined and or imprisoned for the illegal use of the media.

Phone Home
by Paul Stephens

There once was a time,
That I had a dime,
That could be used to call
on anyone at all,
The pay phone used
was often abused
to alert loved ones
called collect and not accept.

the above is released to the public domain. Paul Stephens
The restrictions allow the copying and distribution of the material so long as the poem and the author's name are included without modification and the copyright notice remains with the material.

To use the poem one must include my name and the notice of the restrictions. If they do not include the notice or modify it in any way then they are in violation of the copyright laws.

How, exactly, do you get penalized for sharing those documents?

Throttled speeds, which you are paying for...

Forced "copyright education" courses. You don't get internet until you complete them, even if you are paying for internet service.

etc.

(They haven't explained the most severe punishment, but it's supossed to be bad)

As long as the media is published as GNU, "open source" or in the public domain there are no penalties for sharing the media. If it does not specifically state that it is copyrighted under one of those types you can be fined and or imprisoned for the illegal use of the media.

Phone Home
by Paul Stephens

There once was a time,
That I had a dime,
on anyone at all,
The pay phone used
was often abused
to alert loved ones

The restrictions allow the copying and distribution of the material so long as the poem and the author's name are included without modification and the copyright notice remains with the material.

To use the poem one must include my name and the notice of the restrictions. If they do not include the notice or modify it in any way then they are in violation of the copyright laws.

Thats where you are wrong. Copyright trolls have the freedom to blindly spam false claims by the masses without being tried and convicted for perjury for each count. Also, you have no way of contesting the claim, even if it's false. But if you do anything wrong, they will try as hard as they can to penalize you.

Phone Home
by Paul Stephens

There once was a time,
That I had a dime,
on anyone at all,
The pay phone used
was often abused
to alert loved ones

Thats where you are wrong. Copyright trolls have the freedom to blindly spam false claims by the masses without being tried and convicted for perjury for each count. Also, you have no way of contesting the claim, even if it's false. But if you do anything wrong, they will try as hard as they can to penalize you.

Could you pull up the information from the copyright website to show me where I am wrong?

Phone Home
by Paul Stephens

There once was a time,
That I had a dime,
on anyone at all,
The pay phone used
was often abused
to alert loved ones

Could you pull up the information from the copyright website to show me where I am wrong?

No, but you can see from the results on youtube, etc. Lately, NASCAR failed a false DMCA claim just to get footage that they didn't want other's to see off the net. Even when It was public domain. Also, did I mention that they were not tried for perjury? Nothing has been done against them.

OK, the laws are what I said - just like the speed limit laws on the highways and roads. That doesn't mean that everyone will do the speed limit. Just because there are a lot of people speeding does not mean that the limits are not there. Just because people break the copyright laws all the time does not mean that you can't be punished if you get caught for it.

We all have the "freedom" to break laws, that does not mean that we are immune from taking the responsibility when we are caught.

Forum List

Back