Copycat Recipes?

There are websites dedicted to recipes. I just searched for Pork Fried rice and got these results.

pork fried rice - - Yahoo Search Results

That is a lot of characters in a search site!

Have tried making my own but it never comapres. I assume they buy their's in bulk from a dsitributor then just heat it up in the wok making me wait 20 mins while they do so. :)

I have a recipe for fried rice, but it has bacon in it instead of pork. It also has some egg in it. It is delicious but it doesn't really taste like what you would get a Chinese food place.

By the way

A dish from one restaurant will not taste the same at another. Best thing to do is ask the chef how he makes it.

It's going to taste different depending on the chef "on duty" too. I've gotten chicken scampi from Olive Garden many, many times, and it is a little different every time.

There are websites dedicted to recipes. I just searched for Pork Fried rice and got these results.

Have tried making my own but it never comapres. I assume they buy their's in bulk from a dsitributor then just heat it up in the wok making me wait 20 mins while they do so. :)

Oh yeah--the difference in familiarity and skill makes a difference to.

Quality of ingredients matters too. I can't even eat chinese out since making my own. It's gross, fattening, and just yuck.

Well, I wouldn't go THAT far. My local Chinese place has EXCELLENT food. My god, you guys are starting to make me crave Chinese!!! :lol:

And charging you triple what they paid for it. Lol! ;)

At least triple. It's $7.99 for a "large" portion, but for me the large is a bit shy of a single serving. Usually buy 3 orders since it's a bit of a schlep over there and if walking that much wanna make it worth my while. :)

Have come close to it with my baked paprika chicken and boiled brown rice. The butter in the chicken gives it that fried texture. And after a night in the fridge then microwaved next evening, it's kinda like fried rice :)

At least triple. It's $7.99 for a "large" portion, but for me the large is a bit shy of a single serving. Usually buy 3 orders since it's a bit of a schlep over there and if walking that much wanna make it worth my while. :)

Have come close to it with my baked paprika chicken and boiled brown rice. The butter in the chicken gives it that fried texture. And after a night in the fridge then microwaved next evening, it's kinda like fried rice :)

Yes, because when you fry it after letting it sit and absorb all the fat and starches, it makes it kind of crispy, like real fried rice. :)

Yes, because when you fry it after letting it sit and absorb all the fat and starches, it makes it kind of crispy, like real fried rice. :)

Pasta's like that too, always better the 2nd day after microwaved. Spaghetti, lasagna, etc.

Pasta's like that too, always better the 2nd day after microwaved. Spaghetti, lasagna, etc.

I don't microwave too often. I usually reheat on the stove top or in the oven. TBH, I don't like the texture that the microwave gives food. I'll use it to give something a quick heat up and sometimes I'll par cook potatoes for home fries in the microwave. Other than that, I don't really use it too often for food, just reheating coffee and things like that. :)

I don't microwave too often. I usually reheat on the stove top or in the oven. TBH, I don't like the texture that the microwave gives food. I'll use it to give something a quick heat up and sometimes I'll par cook potatoes for home fries in the microwave. Other than that, I don't really use it too often for food, just reheating coffee and things like that. :)

Well you don't 'cook' pasta with a microwave, you just reheat it, dry it out a bit. :) Notice things heated by a microwave cool off a lot faster than oven or stovetop. Some things work like hotdogs, but by and large you do the actual cooking with the oven. Use the microwave nex day for reheating things.

Well you don't 'cook' pasta with a microwave, you just reheat it, dry it out a bit. :) Notice things heated by a microwave cool off a lot faster than oven or stovetop. Some things work like hotdogs, but by and large you do the actual cooking with the oven. Use the microwave nex day for reheating things.

Oh, I know. Lol. I mean reheating pasta. I do that on the stove top with some sauce. It comes out a lot better, IMO. I like to have more control over my cooking, you know? :)

Even with pizza, I reheat it in the oven. It comes out much crispier and better!

Even with pizza, I reheat it in the oven. It comes out much crispier and better!

Some pizzas reheat ok in a microwave, but most don't. Delivery ones almost never do. Will dry out superfast and become hard and crunchy. Frozen ones faire better it seems.

Some pizzas reheat ok in a microwave, but most don't. Delivery ones almost never do. Will dry out superfast and become hard and crunchy. Frozen ones faire better it seems.

You should try making your own pizza. I just buy one of those ready made crusts (I don't like dealing with dough - lol), and make my own sauce and grate fresh cheese and put that on with toppings of your choice. You can cook it in the oven or on the grill.

We were talking about fried rice recipes . . . I have a great one! It's not really a copycat recipe but a recipe which I found and combined with my fried rice recipe and I made it. OMG, it was so good. You MUST try it. I thought it was better than any Chinese place. Of course, keep in mind that you can use low sodium substitutes in any of these recipes if you need/want to. :)

~Fried Rice with Bacon~

Ingredients:

2 cups cooked white rice (best if the rice has sat in the fridge overnight).
4 slices of bacon/chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
2 eggs
1 large scallion
1/2 sweet onion, minced
1/2 red pepper, minced
1-1/2 tbs soy sauce
1 tsp molasses (I didn't have molasses, so I substituted maple syrup, and it came out delicious!)
1 tsp fresh minced ginger
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp dry mustard powder
white pepper to taste

Directions:

Mix soy sauce, molasses, ginger, garlic, and mustard powder in small bowl/set aside.
In cast iron skillet, rend bacon pieces until crisp.
Whisk 2 eggs in a small bowl/make a space in skillet and pour eggs in/let them spread out and cook like a fried egg.
Break up the egg into small pieces with your spatula or whatever/remove bacon and egg mixture to a bowl and set aside.
Add minced onion (if necessary add a little oil/there should be enough fat from the bacon)/saute until soft and translucent.
Add cooked rice to skillet with onion/cook until warmed through and broken up/starting to fry and sizzle.
Add soy sauce mixture and stir until well mixed.
Season with white pepper to taste.
Add scallion (green onion) at the end and toss.

You can add more soy sauce at the end to your desire if you need to. :) Eat and enjoy. This is the best fried rice recipe I have had so far. Of course, you can substitute any kind of meat for the bacon, but I really liked it with the bacon.

Edit: I probably used a little more than 2 cups of rice. I also cooked my rice in chicken broth. I always do that because it makes it more flavorful. So do that. :D

Last edited:
Of course, you can substitute bean sprouts for the red pepper, or you could use both. You could throw some water chestnuts in there or some mushrooms, or whatever you want! That's another great thing about making it yourself. You can make it any way you like! :) Personally, I really enjoy it with the red pepper since I'm not too crazy about bean sprouts. The red peppers give a good crunch and freshness to the dish, and I really like red peppers. :) I hope someone tries this dish (Delta4Embassy) and posts about it. I thought it was really very good.

anyone have the bang bang shrimp recipe from bonefish grill?
ingredients
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
3 drops Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce (or to taste)
1 pound shelled and deveined shrimp
Dry cornstarch
oil for frying
lettuce
chopped scallions

directions
Mix mayonnaise with Thai Sweet Chili Sauce. Add hot sauce to taste.

Dredge the shrimp in cornstarch. Deep fat fry the shrimp until lightly brown. Drain on paper towel, put in a bowl and coat with the sauce.

Serve in a lettuce lined bowl, top with chopped scallions.

Forum List

Back