Cops tazer Grandma in hospital bed...

Reasoning

Apr 15, 2010
June 25, 2010
‘Don’t Taze My Granny!’
Posted by William Grigg on June 25, 2010 08:03 AM

Lonnie Tinsley of El Reno, Oklahoma made a nearly fatal mistake last December 22 when he went to check on his grandma, Lona Varner.

Concerned that Lona hadn’t taken her medications, Lonnie called 911 in the expectation that an emergency medical technician would be dispatched to the apartment to evaluate the bedridden 86-year-old woman.

Instead, that call for help was answered by nearly a dozen armed tax-feeders employed by the El Reno Police Department.

Understandably alarmed — and probably more than a little disgusted — by the presence of uninvited armed strangers in her home, Lona ordered them to leave. This directive, issued by a fragile female octogenarian confined to a hospital-style bed and tethered to an oxygen tank, was interpreted as “aggressive” behavior by Officer Thomas Duran, who ordered one of his associates : “Taser her!”

“Don’t taze my granny!” exclaimed Tinsley. According to a lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court, Tinsley’s “obstructive” behavior prompted the police to threaten him with their tasers. He was then was assaulted, removed from the room, thrown to the floor, handcuffed, and detained in a police car. At this point, the heroes in blue turned their attention to Lona.

The tactical situation was daunting; at this point, the police had only a 10-1 advantage over a subject who — according to Duran’s official report — had taken an “aggressive posture” in her hospital bed. The sacred imperative of “officer safety” dictated that the subject be thoroughly softened up in order to minimize resistance.

Accordingly, one of the officers approached Lona and “stepped on her oxygen hose until she began to suffer oxygen deprivation,” narrates the complaint, based on Lona’s account. One of the officers then shot her with a taser, but the connection wasn’t solid. A second fired his Taser, “striking her to the left of the midline of her upper chest, and applied high voltage, causing burns to her chest, extreme pain,” and unconsciousness. Lona was then handcuffed with sufficient ruthlessness to tear the soft flesh of her forearms, causing her to bleed.

After her wounds were treated at a local hospital, Lona was confined for six days in the psychiatric ward at the insistence of her deranged assailants from the El Reno Police Department.

It has long been established that the worst thing to do in an emergency is to call the police. In this case, Lonnie Tinsley didn’t call the police, yet they barged in anyway and quite nearly “helped” his grandma to death.

(Note: I mistakenly referred to Mrs. Varner as “Lona Vernon” in the original version of this post. )

It actually seems it did happen.

Police have admitted using a Taser to incapacitate the suicidal woman Dec. 22. Officer Duran wrote in a police report she pulled a kitchen knife from under her pillow and threatened to kill him. "I tried talking to Varner and calm her down but nothing would work," he reported.
The officer reported she took "a more aggressive posture on the bed" when other officers arrived. He reported she raised the knife above her head and said, "If you come any closer, you're getting the knife." He reported he feared she would injure someone.
Police went to the apartment Dec. 22 after her grandson called 911 for a paramedic to check on her. "She says ... her life is over. She wants to end it. ... She's taken some medicine. I don't know what she's taken," Tinsley said in the 911 call. "I can't get her to tell me what she took. ... She's kind of upset and everything else."

Oklahoma granny gets shocked by Taser; sues El Reno police | NewsOK.com

Well, finally we have some facts. Nowhere else on USMB or the 'net was it mentioned that the grandson called 911 to report he feared his grandmother had taken an overdose, nor was it reported that the grandmother was brandishing a knife when police tazed her.

I still think the cops acted badly and the incident is regrettable, but at least now it makes a little more fucking sense.

Tip o' the hat, Quantum Windbag.

Last edited:
Well, finally we have some facts. Nowehere else on USMB or the 'net was it mentioned that the grandson called 911 to report he feared his grandmother had taken an overdose, nor was it reported that the grandmother was brandishing a knife when police tazed her.

I still think the cops acted badly and the incident is regrettable, but at least now it makes a little more fucking sense.

Yep QW scored on that. And yes tazing an old lady is well ridiculous is the only word for it, but funny that the blog report mentioned none of the other stuff.

show me a link to one single credible news source. not some blog

The newspaper is not a credible news source? What would it take for it to be credible?

I honestly hadn't seen the newspaper report. Odd that the police report says the old lady threatened cops with a knife yet that was left out of the lawsuit. Wonder why that?

Because it is not the job of the person filing the lawsuit to make the other sides job easier?

Well, finally we have some facts. Nowehere else on USMB or the 'net was it mentioned that the grandson called 911 to report he feared his grandmother had taken an overdose, nor was it reported that the grandmother was brandishing a knife when police tazed her.

Yep QW scored on that. And yes tazing an old lady is well ridiculous is the only word for it, but funny that the blog report mentioned none of the other stuff.

I had read about this incident this morning through a blog I read that tracks reports of abuse by police. It really wasn't that hard to track down given that this blog is fastidious about sticking to news reports and court filings.

The newspaper is not a credible news source? What would it take for it to be credible?

I honestly hadn't seen the newspaper report. Odd that the police report says the old lady threatened cops with a knife yet that was left out of the lawsuit. Wonder why that?

Because it is not the job of the person filing the lawsuit to make the other sides job easier?

True, why let a thing like honesty and fairness get involved in our legal system?

True, why let a thing like honesty and fairness get involved in our legal system?

The legal system is honest and fair, if it wasn't the police would not be able to bring up the fact that the woman had a knife at all. they will though.

The legal system is honest and fair, if it wasn't the police would not be able to bring up the fact that the woman had a knife at all. they will though.

Well first I would argue that the legal system is neither honest, nor particularly fair but that's another thread.

Second , that wasn't my point.

Good Grief!

I don't care if she had TEN knives, and was threatening to assassinate Obozo ~

YOU DON'T TAZER AN ELDERLY PERSON, especially not one confined to bed and hooked up to oxygen, for crying out loud!!!

Cripes.

show me a link to one single credible news source. not some blog

You "honestly" haven't seen the newspaper report?

Why not?

It's honestly linked right here in this thread.

Perhaps you should "honestly" follow that link.

You "honestly" haven't seen the newspaper report?

Why not?

It's honestly linked right here in this thread.

Perhaps you should "honestly" follow that link.

I did, as soon as he posted a link. In the three previous threads about this there was no newspaper story.

Next

Forum List

Back