Coping with homesickness/nostalgia/leaving home

Semper Fi

VIP Member
Nov 25, 2003
Wisconsin
Well, it's been since early June that I've been a man on my own. First was boot camp, then was home for a few days, now it's off to School of Infantry. The prevailing emotion among myself and my fellow Marines (especially in boot camp) is homesickness. For me, big-time nostalgia for my childhood and time spent with my family, whom I am very close to.

Now, as I'm enjoying off-base liberty in San Diego, I notice all the people above the age of 20. ALL of them, at one point, left home. And I wonder, did they have a hard time with it? How long did it take them to overcome it?

Granted, getting back into the regimented and someone chaotic (for the first day or so at least) military lifestyle here at SOI stimulated such feelings, and most of the time I'm up-beat and optimistic, which resonates in my buddies and comes right back to me. But there are those nights and mornings thrown in there where everything just sucks and I am overwhelmed with undying desire to go back to idealized times in my past.

And I know that being in the Marine Corps means many deployments and time away from home, or what I'll call home at the time. And I wonder if every time will be accompanied by the same low points?

My dad spent a year in Korea, a year in Iraq, and served in the Gulf War. While a soldier in the 101st Airborne Division, I recall him being in the field a lot, sometimes for weeks at a time. I have even more respect and admiration for my father for dealing with all that.

Like I said, I'm ok now, and excitedly look toward the future. But I know that before long I'll be in another school or duty station, staring at a picture with moist eyes. And, well, advice on coping with it would give me and my fellows a boost. Thanks.

Well, it's been since early June that I've been a man on my own. First was boot camp, then was home for a few days, now it's off to School of Infantry. The prevailing emotion among myself and my fellow Marines (especially in boot camp) is homesickness. For me, big-time nostalgia for my childhood and time spent with my family, whom I am very close to.

Now, as I'm enjoying off-base liberty in San Diego, I notice all the people above the age of 20. ALL of them, at one point, left home. And I wonder, did they have a hard time with it? How long did it take them to overcome it?

Granted, getting back into the regimented and someone chaotic (for the first day or so at least) military lifestyle here at SOI stimulated such feelings, and most of the time I'm up-beat and optimistic, which resonates in my buddies and comes right back to me. But there are those nights and mornings thrown in there where everything just sucks and I am overwhelmed with undying desire to go back to idealized times in my past.

And I know that being in the Marine Corps means many deployments and time away from home, or what I'll call home at the time. And I wonder if every time will be accompanied by the same low points?

My dad spent a year in Korea, a year in Iraq, and served in the Gulf War. While a soldier in the 101st Airborne Division, I recall him being in the field a lot, sometimes for weeks at a time. I have even more respect and admiration for my father for dealing with all that.

Like I said, I'm ok now, and excitedly look toward the future. But I know that before long I'll be in another school or duty station, staring at a picture with moist eyes. And, well, advice on coping with it would give me and my fellows a boost. Thanks.

When my husband was young and first enlisted, he was very lonely and missed his family and friends back at home a great deal....this continued for years, especially when he spent 3 years in Germany....

i think it is normal...i mean, what else does one live for....? People. Family and friends and loved ones....

glad you are feeling a bit better....

Care

Yeah, I felt that way when I first moved away when I started college. But you will be all over the world, and meeting all kinds of people. How exciting for a young person. At least you have internet access, that and phone calls and letters helps.

One more thing:

Be Safe and God Bless!

I never actually missed home to be honest.

When I was in NAV bootcamp I missed freedom quite a bit, though.

Forum List

Back