Copenhagen Zoo killing of a healthy Giraffe

I despise Zoo's and other places that keep animals captive for our entertainment.

This was uncalled for and barbaric, and they did it in front of small children. Shot in the head, and quartered and fed to the lions. Yes all while the children watched

Image deleted......
The Copenhagen Zoo has insisted that it was doing the right thing when it killed Marius the giraffe, carved him up as children watched and fed him to the lions — all as part of an effort to control inbreeding and educate zoo visitors.

But the weekend killing of the healthy two-year-old animal has turned into what observers have called a public relations "disaster" and "debacle" for the zoo. It also shone a light on the seldom seen practice of how zoos dispose of animals that they just don't want or need.

"I think that it demonstrates a real tone-deafness as to concerns about the ways that zoos operate," says Geoff D'Eon, a Halifax documentary-maker whose recent production Zoo Revolution explored the ethical debate around zoos.

Giraffe's killing in Copenhagen reveals zoos' dark culling practices - World - CBC News

I wouldn't worry about the kids, nothing you can't see on APL.

I do agree about zoos in general. However, Disney's Animal Kingdom where animals live in like they do in the wild was impressive. I really enjoyed Animal Kingdom.

In all seriousness, though, this could have been handled better. I suppose that it could have been handled worse, though. They could have just put the giraffe in the lion cage alive. That would have given the kids a real lesson in the ways of nature!

People would have PAID to watch that.

It would have been a hoot for the Lions as well.

In the past, I would not have believed this but I sure as hell do now. Not just the sickos on this board though.

When I lived in AZ, we had a lot of rattlesnakes around our house so I went to buy a snake stick from a reptile store in Tucson. They had some huge snakes and a sign offering to let you watch them eat huge live rabbits - for a fee.

The room was packed full of people who had paid to watch and, sad and sick was that many of them had children with them. I couldn't really see and didn't much want to but some of the kids were crying and I did see one man push a crying kid up to the glass.

This had nothing at all to do with teaching children about nature or much of anything about the natural world.

Very sad too was that the poor snakes were crammed into tanks that weren't even big enough for them to stretch out.

What I said about the OP above was factual and there is nothing natural about that either.

I despise Zoo's and other places that keep animals captive for our entertainment.

This was uncalled for and barbaric, and they did it in front of small children. Shot in the head, and quartered and fed to the lions. Yes all while the children watched

Image deleted......
The Copenhagen Zoo has insisted that it was doing the right thing when it killed Marius the giraffe, carved him up as children watched and fed him to the lions — all as part of an effort to control inbreeding and educate zoo visitors.

But the weekend killing of the healthy two-year-old animal has turned into what observers have called a public relations "disaster" and "debacle" for the zoo. It also shone a light on the seldom seen practice of how zoos dispose of animals that they just don't want or need.

"I think that it demonstrates a real tone-deafness as to concerns about the ways that zoos operate," says Geoff D'Eon, a Halifax documentary-maker whose recent production Zoo Revolution explored the ethical debate around zoos.

Giraffe's killing in Copenhagen reveals zoos' dark culling practices - World - CBC News

I do agree about zoos in general. However, Disney's Animal Kingdom where animals live in like they do in the wild was impressive. I really enjoyed Animal Kingdom.

Are you saying you have seen an animal bred, raised, born, killed in front of little kids, fed to a lion for no good reason but rather for human entertainment?

I object to quite a bit of Animal Planet's programming but have never seen that.

What is barbaric about a human slaughtering an animal? We do it every minute of every hour of every day. The zoo keepers killed the animal quickly and it felt no pain. They were even kind enough to feed the dead animal to the lions.

Lions eat giraffes in natures. Without any human help. Is that barbaric too?

PS - Animals are not the anthropomorphic creatures you see in the movies.....

Giraffes are really tough for lions to take down.

Do you get upset at chickens, cows and pigs being slaughtered? There is no difference in my mind.

I only wish I could have sliced a nice thick steak from the Giraffe for myself.......

:lol:

This is where you guys fail.

Do you eat giraffe and is this why the animal was bred? No

It was bred for pure entertainment.

Cows chickens and other farm animals are for food and are bred for such.

Would you be okay with this if dogs were being done like this?

The only difference in these animals is in your head.

Image deleted......

Are you saying you have seen an animal bred, raised, born, killed in front of little kids, fed to a lion for no good reason but rather for human entertainment?

I object to quite a bit of Animal Planet's programming but have never seen that.

It makes no difference how the animal was 'bred' or 'raised.' Lions prey on animals and so do other animals. Those shows are a dime a dozen.

Image deleted......

What a wuss.

Go get your pink tutu and prance about like the sally boy you are.

The zoo should have done this in private like all zoo's apparantly do.

Zoo's are bound to have to many animals and one has to wonder how they get rid of them.

Now we know.

As for a lion taking down a giraffe? Its been done I'm sure. I've also seen on youtube where a Giraffe killed a lion.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCwY3tx8_sQ]Giraffe Kills Lion - YouTube[/ame]

One kick by a giraffe is enough to kill.

I don't know how to make sense of something that makes no sense :eusa_eh:

What a wuss.

Is that all you have? No logical argument or nothing.......

If this happened on Animal Planet....I am getting rid of my cable

What a wuss.

Is that all you have? No logical argument or nothing.......

If this happened on Animal Planet....I am getting rid of my cable

First, I am anything but wussy. Catching rattlesnakes, handling huge birds of prey ... bet big talking martybegan couldn't keep up with me.

Second, he's hiding from the subject of the thread. No matter how you cut it, there is just no way to justify this.

BTW, turns out that the US zoological assoc offered to buy that giraffe.

Another possible way of dealing with the so-called breeding issue is to castrate him.

And, wth kind of parent would allow their child to be there?

Some people cannot seem to get past their politics even for one second. It makes me sad. And it makes me angry.

When I was a kid, I thought animals were protected at the Zoo's. The kids that witnessed this....it will forever be imprinted in their minds

Last edited:
Doing that in front of kids was disgusting. Doing it, period, is disgusting. There was no need to kill that animal. Another zoo would have taken it in. Or better yet why not release it back into the wild after prepping it for that? Too much money? Too much effort.

Stuff like this makes me extremely depressed.

People-look-on-as-a-veterinarian-prepares-to-dismember-the-giraffe-Marius-after-it-was-killed-in-Copenhagen-Zoo-February-9-2014.-REUTERSKasper-PalsnovScanpix-Denmark-615x345.jpg

:ack-1::ack-1::ack-1::ack-1::ack-1:
:disbelief::disbelief::disbelief::disbelief::disbelief:

What is natural about being bred for entertainment purposes and then shot in the head and cut up a fed to the lions out of the natural habitat?

The animal was bred as part of conservation project mostly, and it was found to have a genome too close to other animals in the grouping. They culled it.

I agree though, they should have just put it into the Lion pen, that would have been real nature in action.

There were other options. But they chose this one. They could have neutered the animal. They could have sold it or even given it to another zoo.

I said natural habitat, not a enclosed zoo habitat

Yes, and it is reported the zoo had many offers to take it, nourish it and let it live and some offers came with a great deal of money.

Barbarism is what they chose....:evil:

Seeing that pic..and those children...and the guy with the carving knife using it on that magnificent animal...is sickening.

I hope the rest of the world gets on that zoo's ass big time and all affliated with the decision to do it that way, fired. As far as the idiot parents letting their children watch? I will not say further what bad thoughts are in my head concerning them. It ain't pretty.

Forum List

Back