CopenHagen Results

I think it was a mixed result.

I am disappointed that a legaly-binding deal could not be reached, but on the other hand, it was great to see that the debate has moved a long way forward from Kyoto. We are no longer debating "Is climate change real?" but "How can we best counter climate change?", and even without a deal that means most countries are going to act in their own self interest and do their best to cut their emissions.

It does not really surprise me that China and the EU do not see eye to eye on this, but as long as EU is looking to minimize emissions through greater efficiency, and to stimulate economic growth through innovation and export, I'm not too disappointed.

And amazingly they go on talking like there has been no challenge to the so-called "climate change consensus."
Climate change is a bigger hoax than Piltdown Man. Fortunately they only agreed to talk more, increasing carbon in the atmosphere btw. There will be no binding agreements from this.

Obama upended his schedule Friday to reach the deal, turning a 9-hour trip to Copenhagen into a 15-hour negotiating whirlwind. Besides critical meetings with the leaders of the developing world, Obama and U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton held talks with European leaders, including Merkel, Britain's Gordon Brown and French President Nicolas Sarkozy.

Brekaing news: Copenhagen delegates agree to more talks about global warming! Obama claims breakthrough!

Yeah, agreeing to talk is obama's stock in trade. he agreed to talk to the Iranians, who promptly told him to suck a duck. This agreement does nothing.
Score: Obama 193 3rd world nations sucking at western tit, the U.S.A. 100 senators opposed to any agreement to ship more money to those assholes.

Considering the Republicans told the world to go fuck themselves after the Kyoto Accords it is a major step forward

Lying about history, again I see.
Can you ever write one clear honest post or is this totally beyond you?

I think it was a mixed result.

I am disappointed that a legaly-binding deal could not be reached, but on the other hand, it was great to see that the debate has moved a long way forward from Kyoto. We are no longer debating "Is climate change real?" but "How can we best counter climate change?", and even without a deal that means most countries are going to act in their own self interest and do their best to cut their emissions.

It does not really surprise me that China and the EU do not see eye to eye on this, but as long as EU is looking to minimize emissions through greater efficiency, and to stimulate economic growth through innovation and export, I'm not too disappointed.

Swamp gas and a waste of money...couldn't they just video conference each other and cut back on all that pollution?

Swamp gas and a waste of money...couldn't they just video conference each other and cut back on all that pollution?

With 190-odds heads of state and foreign ministers in place, but twice as many environmental advisors - no, I don't think they could.

Of course it is frustrating we didn't get a firm, clear and binding resolution, but the debate has still come a long, long way since Rio or Kyoto.

With 190-odds heads of state and foreign ministers in place, but twice as many environmental advisors - no, I don't think they could.

Of course it is frustrating we didn't get a firm, clear and binding resolution, but the debate has still come a long, long way since Rio or Kyoto.
Really? As it's non-binding, all it is is a waste of paper. Kyoto was much more than that, but that wasn't attended by your love.

Really? As it's non-binding, all it is is a waste of paper. Kyoto was much more than that, but that wasn't attended by your love.

By "my love"? Who do you mean?

Finland only sent our Environmental Minister, who I'm not a huge fan of at all.

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Yet in the end, nearly all 193 nations at the U.N. climate conference agreed to President Barack Obama's solution, which points toward deeper emissions cuts for rich nations but without mandatory targets that would draw sanctions.

Obama's successful 11th-hour bargaining Friday with China, India, Brazil and South Africa— the world's key developing nations — sets the stage for future cooperation between developed and developing nations. But the resulting "Copenhagen Accord" was protested by several nations that demanded deeper emissions cuts by the industrialized world and felt excluded from the major-nation bargaining process

Serious question.... if this is such a coup for Obama.... Why are the international press calling 'Nopenhagen' a failure?

Climate summit ends in chaos and 'toothless' deal - Telegraph

After intense overnight wrangling, delegates from 192 countries on Saturday passed a motion simply "noting" a loose deal aimed at limiting temperature rises to less than 2C, which was agreed by the US and four other large-scale polluting nations.

However, critics warned the "Copenhagen Accord", the result of two weeks of negotiations in the Danish capital, was full of holes and lacked a timetable – and environment agencies branded it toothless and a failure. One African delegation likened the deal to the Holocaust.

Why do you insist on looking only at the biased US media and refuse to consider what the world's media are reporting? Are you that scared of the truth? You are making yourself look like an idiot.

So what did we get?

Global Warming solved? No

Significant progress in obtaining worldwide consensus that manmade global warming is a critical global issue.

What did the Republicans get?

They sent their representative to Copenhagen for 2 whole hours to explain to the world that global warming does not exist and that everyone should just go home

Now the whole world ridicules the Republicans...not just Americans

Serious question.... if this is such a coup for Obama.... Why are the international press calling 'Nopenhagen' a failure?

Who said it was a coup?

I haven't seen anyone say that - so I look forward to seeing your source on that.

It was by no means a great success, but neither was it a great failure. The general opinion seems to be that this was a C+ or B- kind of result - hardly a coup, but not a total failure either.

The debate has moved forwards a long way, and that is good news.

Who said it was a coup?

I haven't seen anyone say that - so I look forward to seeing your source on that.

It was by no means a great success, but neither was it a great failure. The general opinion seems to be that this was a C+ or B- kind of result - hardly a coup, but not a total failure either.

The debate has moved forwards a long way, and that is good news.

The poster known as 'rightwinger' has a thread about Obama's "coup".... his word, not mine.

The world's media are calling it for what it was - a £130m failure.

For the record, I think that we are responsible for speeding up a natural change in global climate change. What I am kind of tired of is the obsession of Americans with thinking that America is responsible for solving it. We are one country - with an idiot as POTUS - and the world is laughing at Obama and his arrogance.

What I am kind of tired of is the obsession of Americans with thinking that America is responsible for solving it. We are one country - with an idiot as POTUS - and the world is laughing at Obama and his arrogance.

What ARE you talking about?

Who is laughing at Obama?

Can you present some actual examples from the world media of this?

In the Finnish media, Obama's actions have been praised, and although there is a sense of disappointment that a better deal wasn't cut, no one has suggested the US is to blame for that.

Of course the US is not responsible for solving it - again, who said otherwise?

So what did we get?

Global Warming solved? No

Significant progress in obtaining worldwide consensus that manmade global warming is a critical global issue.

What did the Republicans get?

They sent their representative to Copenhagen for 2 whole hours to explain to the world that global warming does not exist and that everyone should just go home

Now the whole world ridicules the Republicans...not just Americans

There is no more solution to global warming than there is a solution to the sun rising in the east. Recognition that the science has been cooked is the first step towards a cure. The Euros are unable to do that. The 3rd world sees a gravy train on White Man's Guilt.
WHat did we get? We got an affirmation of white man's guilt by the first black president of the U.S.
However it was not all negative: Barak Obama managed to meet with world leaders and not bow to any of them.
Call that a coup if you wish.

What I am kind of tired of is the obsession of Americans with thinking that America is responsible for solving it. We are one country - with an idiot as POTUS - and the world is laughing at Obama and his arrogance.

What ARE you talking about?

Who is laughing at Obama?

Can you present some actual examples from the world media of this?

In the Finnish media, Obama's actions have been praised, and although there is a sense of disappointment that a better deal wasn't cut, no one has suggested the US is to blame for that.

Of course the US is not responsible for solving it - again, who said otherwise?

I've looked at a variety of media outlets, from a variety of countries. No one seems overly impressed with our Messiah. No one - other than the Obama obsessed US media - is calling this a success... on the contrary - everyone outside the US sees it as an abject failure.

I've looked at a variety of media outlets, from a variety of countries. No one seems overly impressed with our Messiah. No one - other than the Obama obsessed US media - is calling this a success... on the contrary - everyone outside the US sees it as an abject failure.

No, that is not true at all. I think most people are disappointed, and it certainly is not an unqualified success, but it most certainly was not an 'abject' failure, either. It's somewhere in between.

I've seen no major media source blame Obama in particular for the failure, and I do look forward to seeing you provide some evidence of that.

Rabbi -

Luckily, two thirds of Americans and Europeans are a bit more up to speed on this than you seem to be.

No, up to speed is being aware of the hoax whereby dissenting opinion in man made global warming was systematically suppressed and marginalized. I'd suggest reading up on East Anglia before posting such stupid things again. I realize man made global warming is a religion in Europe and parts of the U.S. but that doesnt make it immune from criticism.

Rabbi -

If you were up to speed on this, you would know that the email scandal had nothing at all to do with "cooked" data, and very little to do with the body of evidence of what we know as climate change science. It reflected badly on a single scientist in a single institution, but there has been no suggestion that it carried beyond that.

Could it be connected to the dozens of reports on polar ice, melting glaciers, changing ocean ph or rising sea levels?

No, not at all.

And that is why I suggest you need to actually take a look at some of those reports and give the matter some more thought.

No, that is not true at all. I think most people are disappointed, and it certainly is not an unqualified success, but it most certainly was not an 'abject' failure, either. It's somewhere in between.

I've seen no major media source blame Obama in particular for the failure, and I do look forward to seeing you provide some evidence of that.

Do your own research. I'm not your assistant. You want to know what the world is saying, it's easy enough to find out. What I am cricital of is the American obsession with either crediting Obama or holding him responsible. Contrary to popular belief - America is not responsible for solving the world's problems.

Forum List

Back